Gapless playback not working with CD player

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Andre.Gosselin, Jan 4, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Andre.Gosselin

Andre.Gosselin New Member

I treated myself with a DMP-A6 Master Edition 3 weeks ago. Very happy with the purchase.
    I however have an issue with the CD player app (Apps > CD), using a ZenDrive USB CD Reader/Writer. When playing a CD where sound should flow without an audible break between tracks e.g. play gaplessly, the Eversolo fails the test and plays with clearly audible gaps between tracks. Interestingly, if I rip the CD to internal storage and then play it from there, the tracks play gaplessly.

A famous example of such a CD which should play gaplessly is Pink Floyd Dark Side of the Moon.
    In classical music, especially opera recordings, many such CDs can be found. Gapless playback is a must for this music genre.

Can this be fixed ?

Regards all,
    André

2. suxh01

suxh01 New Member

I've have the same issue as you for a while now - still have not found a solution yet..

3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It depends how the playback is implemented.
    The fact that ripping produces gapless files is normal, as during data conversion the gap is just a CPU-wait (it is not as easy, but you can consider it this way...), so the resulting file (or files, chained together) is gapless.
    The gaps between tracks, as I said, depend on playback implementation (playback commands to the drive, I mean), and probably also on the drive responsiveness.
    An example (just to make things understandable): Suppose the drive itself always reads the TOC of the disc when asked to play a track (on the contrary of having it loaded in memory...?), that means:
    a) stop playback
    b) seek and read the TOC
    c) search track position
    d) start playback
    Now, reading the disc TOC does require some time (and usually is the time you have to wait when you insert a CD in the player before you can see on its display the tracks).
    Then there could be optimizations on the player software, as a) reading the TOC and keeping it in memory; b) check the next track, and if it is the next skip the track search/head repositioning.
    I would suggest you rip your CDs and play the digitized files instead; use the drive only for ripping.

4. Andre.Gosselin

Hmmm...

Could someone having applied the recently available upgrade comment on a possible effect of this upgrade on the CD non-gapless playback issue ?

5. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I've tried this out for you. Playing Dark Side of the Moon (50th anniversary ed) using an inexpensive optical drive from Hitachi-LG model GP57 connected via a USB3 powered hub to the OTG port of the A6, results in definite gaps between the tracks, about 1 sec but clearly noticeable. Playing the same album but ripped as FLAC to my internal SSD results in gapless playback.

Nutul likes this.
  6. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Forgot to say I am on latest v1.2.40_beta firmware and latest Android control app.

7. Andre.Gosselin

Thanks a lot for trying.

I think we will have to wait from Eversolo devs to tell us if this can be fixed in a future firmware/software release,
    or if we better forget about it.
    Regards,
    André

8. Dré

Dré New Member

Today I connected an usb cd drive (HP) to my Eversolo DMP-A6 especially to play cd's over the streamer. I also played Pink Floyd and it is indeed not gapless. It is very dissapointing because I also have many classical cd's that require gapless playback. I hope that Eversolo devs will be clear of this is a software issue that will be solved in future updates, or if it is not possible due to hardware issues. In that case I have to put back a real cd-player in my audio-rack.

9. Stuj

Stuj Member

There is nothing stopping you from hooking up a cd player to the Eversolo via optical in.

10. Stuj

Stuj Member

Optical and Coaxial in … Yes

11. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

There are certainly digital ins on the DMP-A6, 3 of them in fact : optical, coax and usb-c. No analog ins on the A6 but on the A8.

12. Stuj

Stuj Member

13. SausageDog

SausageDog Member

Attached Files:

14. Stuj

Stuj Member

So let me get this right. You own the unit, but you are incapable of looking at the back of your own unit, nor even perform a basic google which would provide the answer, then when i give you the information you shoot me down as being wrong, then when i call you out you have the gall to call me rude ? You are either trolling this forum or ? Well im too polite to say now.

15. Andre.Gosselin

OK I was wrong. My apologies.

16. Stuj

Stuj Member

Thanks, accepted