Forced Subtitles Always Crash!!!!

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Nicholas Hewitt, Nov 10, 2023.

1. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

No matter what MKV, whether it's one I ripped myself or downloaded, The forced subtitles always crash the movie... IT HAS BEEN HAPPENING FOR 2 YEARS!!!! nobody seems to be able to find a fix for this. I have started numerous threads and been in numerous conversations with other people having this issue. All my files are mkv, it does not matter what movie I play, it will crash if it has forced subtitles. I've tried around 30 movies. They all crash. if I turn off forced subtitles in the Zidoo settings, everything plays fine but without forced subtitles. If I try to enable any subtitle track while any movie is playing, the movie crashes, in this case, it can be any subtitle track, forced, English, or Russian. They will all crash back to the home screen. I have over 500 movies and 280 TV Shows. The Zidoo player always crashes anytime subtitles come on that are not hard subbed...... Please do not respond if you are not going to help..... "Well, I Don't Have That Issue" BELIEVE IT OR NOT THAT STATEMENT DOES NOT HELP!!!!

2. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

What type of subtitle format are you using? Is it just internal subtitles that cause problems or external subtitle files as well? Are you using HT4 to play your files? I've not had trouble with internal nor external srt formatted subtitles but I can't say I've tried anything else.

3. Nicholas Hewitt

I have not used external subtitles. I don't use HT4 either. It's a problem with the Zidoo video player. Weird though if I try to activate a subtitle while a video is playing, it always crashes, if i try to replay the file, it crashes cause it remembers the subtitle selection. The only way it will play the video file after this. Is if I shut down the Z9X, turn the switch off at the back, then back on, then when I try to play the file, it will play even though the subtitle is still selected.

4. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

A lot of my mkv files have forced subs, .srt and .pgs. They are usually tagged as "forced", using MKVToolnix and have all played fine.
    Those not tagged still play fine using the remote to select the correct subtitle.

I only use ZDMC - which still uses the Zidoo Player, same as HT4 and File Manager (except for very old DVD rips, when I have to use Kodi player and it's subs settings).
    How have you set up sub-titles in Settings?

5. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

I know you say it's a Zidoo video player problem and it likely is but the client could be doing something like transcoding the file first and then passing it to the zidoo player in some format it doesn't know. So the client is relevant, that's why I'm asking about it. To eliminate that can you play the video directly through the media center app? If it's still happening through the media center app then can you provide the MediaInfo dump of one of the files you're having problems with so I can see what type of subtitle format is being used?

6. Nicholas Hewitt

No cause it happens when playing from file manager, which straight up uses Zidoo player.

7. Nicholas Hewitt

like i said... If I boot the Z9X after it crashes, it plays the file fine once the Z9X is back on, but I have to do this every time I want to watch something. All my files have everything labeled properly, I can assure you. I have been doing this for a very long time. it is only Zidoo player that has trouble with these files. My Nvidia Shield has no problem playing everything properly using Kodi. Plex or Emby.

8. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

Ok.
    You've been asked to detail what subtitle format you are using and even to provide a MediaInfo for one of your wayward files.............
    I asked you to provide your Zidoo subtitle Settings, so we know what we are dealing with.........

Most of my foreign language movies have subtitles tagged with "forced" so they will automatically play (and the Zidoo shows this on screen at the top that forced subtitles are enabled).
    A lot of TV Series have occasional forced subtitles these days as well.
    None of them have ever caused a player crash, so without further information from you, it is difficult for anyone here to even try to help.

9. lami

lami New Member

Maybe its something to do with the .mkv format? Only saying this as I have over 700 movies and about the same TV shows and dont have an issue with forced subtitles, but I dont use the .mkv format, all mine are full discs ripped to movie only format to bdmv structure, I extract the forced subtitles and have them as its own sub stream in .sup format, then use tsmuxer to rebuild the Bluray folder/bdmv structure with the forced subtitle stream the first in the sub list.

All forced subs show as they should and never had a crash, thats with Z9X, Z9X Pro and the now deceased Z1000 Pro. I use HT4 also.

10. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I only use MKV files and I have all manner of subs, srt, ass, sup etc etc some embedded (switchable) but mostly external. Never had a problem of the player crashing ever!

Phil181 likes this.