First steps

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by Geon, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Geon

Geon New Member

Hello. My X9 will arrive in the next few days. I've read these forums and the blog posts. I'm curious about the flashing process and if it's necessary. I'd like to get the box up to 1.0.2.7 before I begin configuring anything, and I was thinking that it would be best to go ahead and flash it from a USB drive using the reset button - but there's only 1 "bin" file available, and it seems that this process should only be completed if the box is bricked/frozen.

1) Should I just install the 1.0.2.7 update and then perform some kind of "Factory Reset"?

2) I picked up a 32GB microsd card for extra storage. One of the reviews mentioned higher performance by using the EXT4 format. If I let the X9 do the format will it use EXT4, or FAT32? Has anyone verified which format is faster or more reliable?

I'm upgrading from a Logitech Revue, which was a great box in it's day - but the web surfing sucked, and now it's starting to be crippled because the apps aren't being updated. I have high hopes for the X9, I hope the updates keep coming.

2. Jens

Jens Member

1) You can update your Zidoo using OTA (over the air) without problems. App cache and dalvik cache will be wiped automatically.
    2) Not yet verified. But for which reason do you need a higher performance than with FAT32 ? Delivering data from flash card is not the bottleneck in terms of measurable performance ;) The overall performance is very good. Only Kodi/XBMC lacks during startup.

3. Geon

Geon New Member

Thanks for the reply Jens. I have no particular need for higher performance. I'd just like to verify that I set myself up for success and the best performance possible. Any other hints/tips that you can offer would be greatly appreciated. I ordered the Rii I8+ bluetooth keyboard to use with the X9. I'm hoping that there is no setup required for it to work, aside from the bluetooth pairing.

4. Jens

Jens Member

A friend of mine is using a Rii on his Zidoo as well and he did not complain about it ;) Just working fine. I've connected a Rapoo E2400 (a classical BT keyboard with touchpad) without problems as well.

I did not something special regarding the overall performance. The Zidoo box is running well without any tweaks. Based on my experiences with other Android devices I only installed some kind of soft reboot with the apk

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.greatbytes.fastreboot

One click and all active services will be restarted and running non-persistant apps will be killed.

Geon likes this.