External subtitle not shown

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Tural, Jan 5, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Tural

Tural New Member

Hi, so as we know, opensubtitle downloading is not working anymore (their API issue). So I started to download my own str because I don't like internal subtitle engine which is different than external engine. I name str's same as video name F.E: a.mkv -> a.str but when I add external subtitle, it doesn't show up at all, I tried different mkv's and str's btw. Any known issue about this?

Zidoo Z9X - v6.4.62

2. Tural

Tural New Member

Or maybe zidoo team should address the issue that internal subtitle engine is being different? I really don't like that engine, subtitles are buggy

Loneman likes this.
  3. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

Are you naming them "a.str" or "a.srt"? Should be the latter.

4. Tural

Tural New Member

My bad, it is “srt”. I’m not naming them actually, I’m exporting internal subtitle from movie by using PotPlayer on windows, anyway I don’t think that’s a file issue but zidoo’s subtitle engine issue.

5. bowlingbeeg

All of my external subtitle files work just fine and I have them as MovieTitle.eng.srt or MovieTitle.eng.forced.srt

6. Tural

Tural New Member

what version are you using? btw, I'm gonna try ZidooPlexMod!

7. bowlingbeeg

I have a Z9X and a Z9X Pro and have not had any problems on any version with external files. I use ZidooPlexMod mostly but even just playing files through the media center app the external subtitles work without any problems so I'm not sure why you're having problems. Maybe the format isn't quite correct so the zidoo player is ignoring them.

8. Tural

Tural New Member

might be.. I'll try to figure out and post some updates here if not last thing is to reset device.. Thanks.

9. bowlingbeeg

You could try something like gMKVExtractGUI to pull out the subtitles and see if that works better for you.

Tural likes this.
  10. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

No problems on my UHD3000, I only use external subs. My naming is as follows

Crash.mkv
    Crash.srt
    Or
    Crash.ass
    Or
    Crash.PGS
    ETC

11. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

If you don’t have it, get hold of subtitle Edit and check one of your subs through it. It sounds like your extracting software is corrupting the file if everything is named correctly. You could upload one of your srt files, just change the SRT suffix to txt.

12. Tural

Tural New Member

guys thank you. I guess I found the issue, so PotPlayer not exactly 'exporting' it but rather saving a shortcut or something, I sense that when I checked file size it was 1kb.. so I downloaded subtitle from opensubtitle and zidoo was able to use it. Thank you all. But really, I hope zidoo will get update addressing the issue with internal subtitle engine, I really love using this device but extracting or downloading external subtitles is really frustrating.