Eversolo A8 connect via I2S-A Terminator II

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by CiLA, Dec 21, 2023.

1. CiLA

CiLA New Member

Hello guys,
    I listen music via USB A to USB B but I like to use HDMI cable Audioquest Carbon via I2S.
    I am not expert if anybody can help me. First problem on TII how setup red led 1,2,4 (binary 000-111).
    Second problem which choose mode on A8, IIS mute low or high?
    Many thanks for help or advices.
    Regards
    LC

2. Chiller61

Chiller61 New Member

Did you get this resolved, I have it working with my T2...

3. CiLA

CiLA New Member

Hello, not because I am not know correct pattern 000-111. I like to help with connect if you can. regards
    LC

4. Chiller61

Chiller61 New Member

Hello, try mode 5 (101) It works for me for PCM, I haven't tested DSD yet

5. CiLA

CiLA New Member

I try but my simple question, is it worth replacing it with a USB connection?

6. Chiller61

Chiller61 New Member

I believe that only you can answer this as every system is different

7. CiLA

CiLA New Member

Maybe help somebody. I recieved its from guys Vinshine Audio, Denafrips Team.
    I am in doubt whether to try it ...
    I don't like experimenting. I like a predetermined procedure. But I'm not a hi-fi expert. I think I'll stay with USB, it works flawlessly.
    Carbon Audioquest HDMI 1.0m cable will be ready in reserve when someone gives me audibility references that it is worth experimenting with
    and it works 100%.
    Thanks for yours opinions.

Suggestion of I²S Matching with the source, i.e. DDC/Transport/Streamer

Suggestion of I²S matching of the Transport & DAC
    1. Connect the I²S cable (good quality HDMI cable <3ft/1m)
    2. Turn down the volume (audible, minimal)
    3. Play a familiar music (PCM first, followed by DSD)
    4. Run through the I²S setting of the DAC, 000-111
    5. One of the modes should match with the source for both PCM and DSD playback.

000 (1X 2X 4X LED Off)
    001 (1X Off, 2X Off, 3XOn)
    011 (1X Off, 2X On, 3X On)
    100 (1X On, 2X Off, 4X Off)
    101 (1X On, 2X Off, 3X On)
    110 (1X On, 2X On, 3X Off)
    111 (1X 2X 4X LED On)

It's recommended to go through the Audio Tone Test to make sure the L/R channel, in phase/out of phase correctness.
    The Denafrips i2s isn't dependent on the low/high pin used by the A8, so either mode should function.
    If your DAC has the latest 12th Anniversary Edition FPGA firmware, experimenting with i2s pin mode 101 might be worthwhile.
    A customer mentioned success with this i2s mode paired with their A8 and Pontus 12th.

However, it's important to note that the HDMI cable used can sometimes impact the compatibility of i2s modes between the two devices as well.

Chiller61 likes this.
  8. CiLA

CiLA New Member

I tried HDMI cable Audioquest Carbon 1.0m. Setting IIS mode on A8: Mute (LOW), PCM maximum sampling rate:768Hz, DSD maximum support DSD512
    Play PCM file very nice, play DSD file rustle. I stop play immediately and I left this link until someone can comment on it professionally. I play via USB cable Audioquest Carbon 0.75m.

Terminator II patern was : 101 (1X On, 2X Off, 3X On).

Note: source IIS on A8 via TII (the I2S-A LED lights up red) and no song is played in the speakers, there were regular crackles ...

Last edited: Jan 6, 2024
  9. Chiller61

Chiller61 New Member

Thanks CiLA for trying this out, I have started the process for warranty replacement based on the intermittent high frequency noise even when not playing music