Double HDMI handshake when playing a movie

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Darkslide, Oct 6, 2022.

1. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

My setup:

LG CX
    Denon X3400H
    Z1000 Pro

The Z1000 Pro is hooked up to my receiver which connected to the TV's HDMI ARC input.

My issue is as following: whenever I play a movie, my TV and the Z1000 Pro will handshake twice, at first I'll see a brief black screen and then an image, then another 3-5 seconds of black screen and the movie will play.

The same happens when I close the movie - Black screen > Movie page > Black screen > Movie page.

I know the handshake is related to the Match Frame Rate option in the settings, however, even if I turn it off, I still have one black screen when opening / closing a movie.

Is there another setting I missed? My resolution is set to Auto if that matters. Happy to share my settings and everything else that may be relevant.

Thanks for the help!

2. AngryVirginian

AngryVirginian Active Member

The resolution and/or framerate of the Zidoo UI (HT4 or Media Player) probably does not match the resolution of the movies that you played.

Suggestion: lock the resolution to
    • 1080p 23Hz OR 3840 x 2160p 23Hz depending on whether the majority of your contents is 4K or 1080p. This is if you are not using VS10 to upscale everything to 4K. Configure to switch on both framerate and resolution.
    • 3840 x 2160p 23Hz if you are using VS10 to upscale everything to 4K. Configure to switch on framerate.
      • You can also use VS10 to convert/process everything to 4K Dolby Vision. This will result in the least number of HDMI re-sync. This is the setting I use.
    Note that HDMI-resync will always happen with these settings if the content is not 23.976Hz since switch framerate is configured to be on. However, the vast majority of studios produced contents out there are in 23.976Hz.

Darkslide likes this.
  3. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

Thanks for the quick reply, I only watch 4K movies, no 1080p content at all, so I can lock the resolution to 3840 x 2160p 23Hz.

Can you explain a little bit more about VS10 upscaling? Where is it in the settings? I only watch 4K Remix content so no upscale should be needed?

Thanks!

4. AngryVirginian

This setting. RealTek 1619DR players come by Dolby Vision VS10 engine to apply further processing to video contents. For SDR & HDR contents, it will upscale/convert/map the video to Dolby Vision. I am not exactly sure what it does if the video is already Dolby Vision.

[​IMG]

Darkslide likes this.
  5. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

You sir, are a genius!

I enabled VS10, locked resolution to 2160p @ 23, and set match frame rate only - no HDMI re-syncs at all! Basically what it does is automatically switch the TV's picture mode to DV by default (I only download DV anyway) and it works like a charm!

So the 2 HDMI syncs were:
    1. Resolution & frame rate
    2. TV switching from Expert image mode to DV / HDR every time I played a movie.

The only slight downside is that the UI is now at 23 FPS, but it's a nitpick, no more black HDMI handshake screens! Thank you!!!

Edit: It says that VS10 is recommended when playing HDR and DV content on non-hdr display devices, which is not my case. Could I be losing image quality due to this?

6. AngryVirginian

I don't think so. VS10 is supposed to enhance the video. However, there is no public information on what exactly it does. One caveat is that VS10 may clip really low black details (see another active thread in this forum). However, nobody noticed it until only recently.

7. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

Can you please explain about LLDV? Is it better to use LLDV with the VS10 engine and is it something I should enable for my LG CX?

From what I've read it seems that it's more relevant for projectors but I wasn't able to fully understand how to enable and test it.

Thanks

8. AngryVirginian

Dolby Vision is comprised of three separate objects for disc-based DV contents (profile 7): base HDR10 video layer, the RPU, and EL. The HDR10 layer is the video stream without DV elements. RPU is the tone mapping metadata (e.g., brightness adjustment). EL is the "delta" that will transform the HDR10 video stream from 10-bit to 12-bit.

In normal Dolby Vision (TV-Led), the player sends all three things unassembled to the display. The TV will then assemble the parts together for display.

In LLDV (Player-Led), the player mixes all the parts together and sends the signal out to the display fully assembled. The player will use display capabilities from the EDID (sent by the display) to do the tone mapping part.

The vast majority of projectors do not support DV. However, the LLDV trick is that you can upload custom display EDID to "fool" Zidoo that the projector supports LLDV. Zidoo will then mix the DV parts together when playing DV contents but then you configure the VS10 engine to downscale/map the outgoing video to HDR10 (instead of 12-bit) in which the projector can accept. This way, you can actually get DV video without having a DV display.

The recommendation has always been to test for yourself which looks better between TV-Led and Player-Led DV if your display supports both. I have a C9 and I prefer Player-Led.

Lastly, the EL (enhancement layer) is not used on Zidoo and the vast majority of media players. Virtually all consumer level display devices are 10-bit. So the video needs to be downscaled from 12-bit to 10-bit anyway.

Darkslide and 3DBuff like this.
  9. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

Thanks for the detailed reply, how can I test it on my CX? Can you point me to the exact setting in the Zidoo to switch from TV-Led to Player-Led?

When testing, what should I be looking for to decide what looks better?

thanks again!

10. 3DBuff

3DBuff Well-Known Member

I'm opposite. I'll take black screen flash over 23fps menu ;)
    I use light frame interpolation on 23fps movie content to smooth out strobing effect on OLED screen. Scrolling through movie poster in HT at 23fps bothers my eyes. When clicking on poster the movie page opens flowing from small poster to full screen at 60fps or jerks in few steps and pops to full screen at 23fps. I'd rather close my eyes on start and stop of the movie to dim the black screen flash effect and keep 60fps menu :)

11. Darkslide

Darkslide New Member

Fair point, I have to say I'm contemplating leaving the menu at 60 Hz and living with the black screen as well at this point as 23 Hz is really slow...

Haven't made up my mind yet