Dolby Digital related question on sonos beam, zidoo z9x, kodi versus other options

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Markus2121, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Markus2121

Markus2121 New Member

I will ask my question like this:

First this is my sound setup: The Zidoo (or shield) sends the audio signal to my tv (through HDMI ARC); and my tv sends it to the Sonos beam. My TV, Sony A8H, supports the following Audio Passthroughs:

ARC
    eARC support
    Dolby Atmos via TrueHD via eARC
    DTS:X via DTS-HD MA via eARC,
    5.1 Dolby Digital via ARC
    5.1 DTS via ARC
    5.1 Dolby Digital via Optical
    5.1 DTS via Optical

On the shield, I was able to get Dolby Digital on my Sonos beam for my local library by using Kodi and turning on the "allow pass through option", and also turning on "dolby digital (AC3) capable receiver" and "enable dolby digital (AC3) transcoding.

But on the Zidoo I am not able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 on my sonos beam setup, when for example I play a DTS-HD MA 5.1 movie. On the zidoo audio is set to RAW.

So my assumption is that on the Zidoo, I would have to also install Kodi and enable the same settings I enabled in the shield.

So these then are my two questions:

1) Do I lose anything on PQ whatsoever if I install Kodi on the Zidoo; I know of course this to an extent may defeat the purpose of Zidoo?

2) Is there an alternative way to make my sonos beam get dolby digital 5.1 through the native player on zidoo? A change in cables used/etc? Anything at all comes to anyon'es mind other than switching to/buying different speakers of course?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
  2. Markus2121

Markus2121 New Member

turning on Bypass in the sony tv audio resolved this issue.