Do PEQ/GEQ downsample to 48khz?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by fofocho, Apr 27, 2024.

1. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

I thought I read it somewhere but I cannot find it. Will PEQ or GEQ downsample to 48khz? Other systems like Dirac or Audyssey do this. If I use PEQ I still see 24/192 in the info, but also with other systems that I know for sure that they downsample

2. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The A8 downsamples to 48 kHz but there the DSP functions are implemented in a different way from the A6. Eversolo have never said that similar downsampling occurs on the A6. However it is clear from usage that the sampling rate on digital outputs from the A6 do not get downsampled if you use GEQ/PEQ I.e. just by inspecting the recieved sample rate by a downstream device like a DAC or DDC. It might be doing downsampling but if so it then upsamples back I suppose. I assume the simpler hypothesis that the DSP on the A6 does not downsample in the first place. Eversolo may hopefully tell us at some stage.

fofocho likes this.
  3. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

So using analog out it is downsampling and using digital out it is not?

4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

No the analog out will use whatever the digital input to the DAC is as regards sample rate. Of course being a delta sigma type it will internally in the DAC upsample considerably as it performs the conversion to analog.

5. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

I am using Tidal, no input. So no downsampling when using EQ on analog out, right?

6. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The Tidal stream becones a digital input to your A6 DAC. Assuming that no resampling occurs in the A6 due to DSP, then it arrives at the DAC unaltered as regards sample rate. If you enable DSP, the digital data will be altered of course, but not in a way that involves resampling as far as we know. It then goes to the DAC and gets converted to analog and you hear the result of the DSP. In the conversion process, it is upsampled anyway but that is separate to the DSP resampling question you posed.

fofocho likes this.
  7. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

ok thanks. I recall reading something about re sampling, but good to know it is not happening

8. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

9. fofocho

fofocho Active Member

Sorr
    Sorry your answer looks contradictory to me… DSP works up to 192khz or 48khz?

10. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

The DSP resamples everything on the A8 to 48 kHz output. The input to the DSP can have sample rates up to a max of 192 kHz. If higher than that I think DSP is bypassed entirely on the A8. The situation on the A6 is quite different as I said in earlier posts.

11. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

Correct. Input up to 192kz can be handled by the DSP. DSP resamples to 48kz.

Input above 192kz (DSD files among other things) will be bypassed (No DSP done to it).

A6 PEQ is software based, so I’m not sure how that is handled.

The A8’s DACs from AKM have the DSP functionallity built in…