Do I really need a DMP-A6 ME or A8 or will an A6 work

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by 1strail, Mar 6, 2024.

1. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

I was referring to Keith's remark....he said it would have been perfect as transport

this is a Pro Plus, Ecki mentioned a Pro...you should be more consistent and compare apples to apples ;)

Sometimes I wonder if Stradivari used an AP to build and tune his violins :D

_Richard_ likes this.
  2. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

The features you list are the reason why I bought the DMP-A6. I still have a WiiM Pro in my main system with the DMP-A6. But the DMP-A6 is used most of the time. The DMP-A6 (USB-DAC) and Pro (coaxial) are connected to a Marantz SA-KI Ruby.

I have a Mini in a second system in an upstairs bedroom. Both WiiM streamers are used as transports and the fact that they can be linked is a nice feature. Then I can play music from Qobuz in both systems which is almost like a whole house system.

JamOne likes this.
  3. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

But then you already expect from measurements not to hear a difference so your bias kicks in!

4. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

That is true, but as the A-6 is audibly transparent then the A-8 would have to be adding audible distortion, a very great deal of audible distortion compared to the impeccable measurements of the A-6 I didn’t hear that.
    Unsighted/level matched comparisons are used purely to ascertain whether there is any audible difference between two components.
    Most retailers would never offer an unsighted level matched comparison because it would instantly destroy the myth of higher price equals better performance.
    Keith

5. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

There is only your word for that and as you have expectation bias based on measurements why should anyone listen to you? And why would anyone trust your listening abilities over their own? Sounds very arrogant!

6. Purité Audio

That the A-6 is audibly transparent is undeniable, that is explicit from the measurements ( if you understand them).
    The question is always how much distortion do you have to add before you can hear an audible difference.
    I have level matched and compared unsighted, the pundits who claim a difference have not and only ‘believe’ there is a difference.
    If you understand anything about cognitive bias you will understand how powerful the mind is.
    Comparisons to be valid have to be unsighted and level matched.
    Again this is rarely performed because the whole industry is built upon the ‘more expensive equals better’, which is clearly not the case.
    Measurements do not lie.
    Keith

7. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

Arrogant and abusive. I trust my ears.

Glerup71, Inti and Desmodromic like this.
  8. Purité Audio

Unfortunately your ears and brain really can’t be trusted.
    I don’t expect to convince anyone, to truly understand and be convinced one has to perform these comparisons for oneself.
    It is revelatory, once you understand that almost everything you have read is at best disingenuous.
    Keith

Bill Mac and RolandG like this.
  9. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

Then why don’t you stop trying? Oh I forgot it’s the evangelist in you, you have to save us from our own stupid selves! Thanks

Desmodromic, Inti and JamOne like this.
  10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

I agree with this. A few months ago I did a sighted level matched (by ear) comparison of a Marantz SA-KI Ruby and a Technics G-SL700 CD/SACD players. I posted my thoughts over at the Steve Hoffman forum that I found that the two players sounded very similar. Some posted questioning my findings because the design of the two players are so different how could they sound remotely similar. As much as I thought the sound quality of the two players would be different they were not to my ears.

I firmly believe that ones state of mind whether one is stressed or distracted opposed to being relaxed can effect how we hear music played back on our systems. There have been times when I've listened to the same music days or weeks apart on my system and it sounds different due to the mood I'm in.
    Expectation bias can work both ways. Many have expectation bias when they buy a new more expensive component. They automatically think the more expensive component will sound better than the lower cost component. I used to think this but then found out quite often that it's not always true. The same could be said about trusting your listening abilities.

I hear many say that some audio components sound better after 100, 200 or 500 hours of use. How could anyone possibly accurately recall how an audio component sounded days, weeks or months ago? I certainly do not have that type of recall.
    No offense but I find your posts in this thread to be somewhat abusive and arrogant in tone. I don't find Purite' Audio's posts to be that way in the least. You have different believes and opinions than he does. Nothing wrong with that. But when that happens one doesn't have to say they are abusive and arrogant just because their opinion is different than yours.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Nutul, Jonsc and RolandG like this.
  11. RolandG

RolandG Member

Why do you get so angry when something doesn’t align with your opinion? Do you consider that mature behavior?

Jonsc and Bill Mac like this.
  12. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

I'm not angry, I don't impose my opinions on anyone else who doesn't ask for them so why do all these smart folks feel the need to push their unsolicited opinions freely? So what if someone is wasting their money, what is it to them? Unless they have an agenda!

Desmodromic and _Richard_ like this.
  13. RolandG

RolandG Member

You read angry.

This is a discussion forum! To exchange information and opinions! If you have a problem with that, maybe this a not a place for you.

14. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

It was a discussion up until post #8 when others intelligence was slighted because they don’t understand measurements!

Why do you care? Have I annoyed you? I joined the forum to get user functionality answers and it has descended into this objectivist/ subjectivist go nowhere circus.

_Richard_ and JamOne like this.
  15. RolandG

RolandG Member

Frankly, none of your business. And I venture a guess that I’m not the only one to be annoyed by your outbursts.

Then you might be happier only reading threads/posts about that. I’m not sure how the OP's question could be answered without the full spectrum of objective and subjective contributions.

16. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

Boo hoo.

17. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

I didn't feel offended by post #8 at all. On a forum like this one has to have an open mind and a desire to learn. I'm not really into sites like ASR where measurements of audio components are very prevalent. But I will read threads on ASR if they are discussing components I'm interested in.

The Oppo 205 was highly rated over at ASR due to excellent test numbers. The Marantz SA-10 did not fair very well when tested by ASR. A few years ago I owned both the 205 and the SA-10. I directly compared the 205 and the SA-10 and preferred the SQ of the SA-10 for CD/SACD playback. I prefer to to make judgements by listening to components in my system and not rely on reviews from online sites. In this case the component that did not measure as good sounded better to me.

By reading sites like AVS, Steve Hoffman and now this forum I've learned quite a bit about audio/video gear and music. I might not agree with some peoples opinions. But one can still learn from those with different opinions.

Jonsc, RolandG and Gil Fuhrer like this.
  18. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

So you don’t find this comment at post #8 arrogant and condescending?

“If you only learnt a little about the hobby you purport to be interested in.“ Sounds like he’s speaking down to someone.

19. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Member

Perhaps you missed my last post. Sometimes one just has to let things go.

RolandG likes this.
  20. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

I missed nothing.