DMP-A6 Feature Request

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Xyzzy, Jun 7, 2023.

1. kc001

kc001 Active Member

With you on that
    fwiw, mine has the orange knob

2. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

You can turn off the ring light completely by setting it that way. Its a new feature they added to the last round of firmware. It never comes on when the unit is turned on. Works great.

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Well yes, but it would be better to have off in screensaver and on when using (as I like the ring light).

Cheers, Chris W.

kc001 likes this.
  4. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sorry, but now you are splitting personal preference hairs. I'm a "lighting picky" guy too. But I wouldn't start holding your breath on your request when there are MANY much more important things to improve upon on the A6. Many MUCH more important things.

JC DeSch likes this.
  5. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Actually, the screensaver is one of the important things that need fixing.
    The whole point of buying a streamer with a screen is to see what is currently playing (when using Roon, Tidal etc).
    By fixing that they only have to add a new option to link the knob light with the screensaver. That is simple.

Carlton Spence, mags and TheGovnah like this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

And what's wrong with the screen saver?

7. kc001

kc001 Active Member

It switches on while you are playing/streaming music, like your PC/Mac switching the screensaver on while you watch a YouTube video of movie.

There are 2 proper ways of doing it, and the best is giving the user these options:

Activate screensaver:
    a. after x minutes of not streaming/playing music or off, AND/OR
    b. after x minutes of touchscreen (user hasn't touched the screen) inactivity or off. (this is the current DMP-A6 screensaver mode)
    and optionally
    c. include knob illumination with screensaver or not (simple switch)

Deactivate screensaver:
    a. streaming/playing music starts/resumes (locally or via direct app like Tidal/Qobuz/Roon)
    b. user touches the screen (this is the current DMP-A6 setting)

lemongrass likes this.
  8. Chris White

Chris White New Member

This approach would be great!

9. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Okay, thanks for the explanation.

I've been on this forum a bit now and I don't recall anyone getting overly caught up in how the screen saver works, going so far to say its "wrong" or "broken." I could very well be mistaken. Perhaps its because I believe Zidoo does allow a "screen saver never comes on option" (or perhaps its because I've not had an issue with the way it is). Been a while since I checked, but I believe that's an option. If it is, then just set it on that and be done. Perhaps not perfect, but it does solve the main problem of the screen turning off on you. The issue of the ring not following the screen exactly is trivial. Its not a problem, its a preference.

Sorry, but we will have to agree to disagree whether this is an important issue or not, at this time. The more important issue about the volume ring not being able to be turned off completely was answered in the last firmware update. The ring light being on all the time was a problem for rooms who have home theater. THAT was a problem.

I say, right now, lets get things like the actual streaming apps, Amazon Native, CD ripping, internal storage searching etc working and working properly / optimally. When they are done fixing things that really matter to the functionality of the A6, then they can fix things that matter to preferences. Otherwise, you are asking them to spend time fixing preferences above things that either don't work at all or don't work optimally at all. Those are more important. They should be putting the horse before the cart, not the cart before the horse.

10. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Let's agree to disagree.
    This topic is "DMP-A6 Feature Request".

The issues you mention are a matter of the "Eversolo bugs" thread.
    Also, what is unimportant to you may be important to others ;)

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

You are correct, this is the features request thread. So here it belongs.

There are just so many people on this forum skipping over things and asking for the A6 to work miracles. A lot of people are just putting out new threads not even bothering to post in existing threads. I'm getting a little tired of what seems like preferences coming before actual faults. But you are right, features belongs here. So, the changing the "features" of the ring light operation would be very nice for some people.

I didn't say it was completely unimportant, I said it was much less important. See my post a few minutes ago in the song getting cut thread.

12. kc001

kc001 Active Member

That is your opinion, and not applicable to this thread.

Same goes for which of the feature requests will actually be implemented or not.
    That will be decided by Eversolo & the developers. Not you.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2023
  13. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I will attempt to keep that in mind in the features threads.

I will try to keep faith in Zidoo that they know best. Not me, or you. I only wish to help them, and everyone else who wants this device to be all it can be, to achieve just that.

14. Mjay71

Mjay71 Member

Something that would benefit me greatly that I imagine would be a quite easy feature to implement would be to add an option to enter a username as well as a password when selecting wifi network.

I have an Xfinity cell account which allows me to connect to an Xfinity wifi hotspot in my apt. for internet usage, but because the A-6 doesn't provide a field to enter username, I've been relegated to connecting the a-6 through my iPhone for streaming. This also prevents me from being able to connect my phone to the a-6 to control it via the app because the phone and the a-6 have to be using the same ip address.

Anyway, if a field allowing username as well as password in wifi settings was made available, I think it would solve a lot of the issues I'm having enjoying the a-6.

15. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Out of curiosity, does regular Android provide a username field? or you must login via a web page?

16. Mjay71

Mjay71 Member

I have an iPhone and yes, in settings under wifi it has two fields when I sign into the secure network, one for user and one for password.

17. kc001

kc001 Active Member

Not the network name like this:

upload_2023-9-30_18-58-50.png
    upload_2023-9-30_19-1-13.png
    but user name?
    I honestly haven't that ever.

Mjay71 likes this.
  18. Robsp

Robsp New Member

Having worked as a product manager for many years I see many simple usability improvements that could be added. here are just some:
    Ability to add and select favourite apps on front / home screen
    Full a-z selection or at least a-h, i-p ,q-z selection for Artists and albums
    Autodetect of input sound so you don't have to manually switch inputs (Blueos node does this)
    Better back button so when playing song from album it goes back to album then back to artist
    Wakeup via lan
    Bigger text option for those with less than perfect eyesight
    ability to reprogram physical volume button to scroll and select artists, albums and songs. (for those who never use the physical volume button to control volume)

19. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

+100.

Your list is VERY similar to mine. Great minds think alike! :)

I have mentioned the volume knob thing several times, but you are the first one (I recall) to back me up. I guess most others must like tediously scrolling with swipes. :confused:

Can't add a knob to phones or tablets, so the letter menu thing you mentioned (as have I) is the next best step there.

The current back to album thing is there (using Amazon via cast), but the button is so small and requires scrolling through a second menu which is also small. Its much more of a PITA than it should be. In all fairness, even the real Tidal / Qobuz apps everyone uses aren't very good at this either. But it most certainly should be better.

Auto detect would be cool also. As a middle ground compromise, it should just automatically switch the output when a different source (input) is selected. It sort of does that, but it would be better if those settings were done in the set up menu, not as on on the fly thing as it now.

I too was a Project Manager for 10 years. Now I'm a Structural Designer (engineer). So I see many sides of the fence at the same time. I wish I could have a sit down with computer engineers to help teach them about ergonomics. In my experience there are some that get it, but the vast majority do not. Especially the newer gen, who doesn't seem to give a hoot about how things actually function in reality on a day to day basis.

kc001 likes this.
  20. Robsp

Robsp New Member

Thanks and apologies for missing your post :) as well as others who may have raised similar issues.

I have only been using the product for a few days so I thought I would quickly put down the things that annoy me from a usability perspective while they are fresh in my mind and before I learn to work around or adapt to some of of the annoying aspects of the App and UI.

I think from a hardware and sound quality perspective this is a really nice product.
    From a UI and usability perspective it still needs a bit more work.

Hopefully they will take some of the great feedback in this forum onboard to make this an even better product.

Bonzo likes this.