DMDReview from AVSForum says to put the Zidoo Z9x in Full HDMI range due to a Realtek glitch? huh?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Jimbo Randy, Mar 2, 2024.

1. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Has anyone ever heard of the below logic? Is this true?

"Yes, it's because of a glitch in Realtek.
    If VS10 is not used, then we set Zidoo 9x and Dune with Realtek Full HDMI range and necessarily 444 10 bit in the settings, and put HDMI limited on the TV if there is such an option.
    Then the entire TV signal for HDR and SDR content will be correctly transmitted with full skipping of the BTB and WTW parts of the range.
    And DV will be sent as it should be, as 422 12 bit with LLDV or as 422-12, but inside RGB 8bit when the TV-led is turned on.
    If there is no HDMI range setting on the TV, then we leave it as Limited in the player settings. The gradient will be worse, the BtB and WtW areas will be cropped, but there will be no gray instead of black on SDR and HDR."

2. Jimbo Randy

What the hell "Glitch in Realtek" is this guy talking about?

3. Oldpainless

Oldpainless Active Member

I don't know, maybe Mum didn't hug that person enough.....

xskip and Jimbo Randy like this.
  4. Jimbo Randy

It would be nice to understand what "glitch" he's referring to..

5. Ron L

Ron L New Member

where did this quote come from? can't you just ask him for the source of the information on this glitch?

6. Oldpainless

Yeah, I'm all ears......In all my tests, I've not seen it seen it. Run limited throughout the chain...that's all.

Update - The Wife and I are now watching Highlander (the film), in HDR with DTS-HD 5.1..........will check in tomorrow ( btw, looks and sounds amazing).

Last edited: Mar 2, 2024
  7. Jimbo Randy

He says " it works normally with HDR and SDR only if 444 10bit, otherwise if 422 12bit, the output will be about 7bit, even less than 8bit only, and if Limited additionally stands, then range clipping and a slight deterioration of the gradient." - Do you understand this?

8. Jimbo Randy

9. Oldpainless

Jimbo Randy likes this.
  10. Jimbo Randy

Yea idk. I asked a few other knowledgeable people in that thread and no one knew what DMDReview was talking about. Maybe he's right....maybe you can only notice on clipping patterns. Maybe he's just trading one issue for another...idk. I'm keeping everything on limited/limited. If other people were backing up his findings then I'd dig more into it, but at this point I give up, lol.

Oldpainless likes this.