Digital in --> USB out doesn't seem possible?

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by Toine, Jan 27, 2024.

1. Toine

Toine New Member

I have an A6 and I use it mostly as a streamer with an external DAC, my TV is connected now to the DAC with a coaxial cable, but I wanted to try to basically send everything digital through the Eversolo, however if you choose Coaxial input, it doesn't give you USB output anymore, instead you can only use the analog outputs.

I'm also considering upgrading to the A8, in that case can anyone confirm that if you choose eARC in (which is one the reasons I'm considering the change) that you can choose USB out?

2. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

3. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

Note:
    * all digital input connections only support output audio by analogue output, not digital
    output

Nutul and Purité Audio like this.
  4. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

As others have said, you can't have digital in and any digital out including USB on the A6. On the A8, you have I2S digital out available with digital in, but not USB out as far as I know.

5. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Yes at the moment only IIs appears as a digital output option.
    Perhaps that will change.
    Keith

6. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

BlueTooth => USB DAC would be great

I can UPnP from my PC to the DMP-A6 and output to USD DAC, and the natural thing would be able to do the same with BlueTooth.

Use case: friends come to visit and only have their phones to pair and play some music.

Is there a technical limitation for this?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  7. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

Friends come to visit and have to listen to the music I play and I like! :p

Your choice would be digital in to digital out. That`s not possible with the A6. This is digital to analog only. For that it is called "DAC". Digital to Analog Converter.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2024
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

In the case you use an external DAC because it sounds better, when friends come over you could switch DAC, and use the internal one, as:
    1. people at home = noise, and not critical listening sessions
    2. bluetooth = not the best for audio quality
    Although the DAC in the A6 is not crap, TBH.

9. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Well, because the external DAC is good but also because I max'ed out my pre-amp analog L/R inputs and don't want to have to go at the back of my A/V rack to change cabling just for that :-/

I didn't buy the DMP-A6 for the DAC (I would have been happy with a DMP-Ax having no DAC at all).
    I bought it for the USB DAC output and especially for the HDMI multi-ch output -- had been looking for that for a long time.

10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Got it, fair enough.

11. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Checking the specs, the BT chipset is indeed dedicated and might have not been wired in a configuration that allows this.

Going over Wifi/streaming uses a different path and seems to mimic a filesystem and appears like an internal file that can reach digital outputs.

Oh well, no BT then. It's not the end of the world!

12. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Turns out... if you have an iOS device (iPhone, etc.) with AirPlay enabled... you can stream digital to the A6 and output digital as well!

DMP-A6 appears in the list of AirPlay devices and the A6 instantly starts streaming AAC, whether you play something or not.

I can play YouTube and stream digital to digital now.
    No need for Bluetooth anymore.

[​IMG]

Julien

13. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

Where is your digital output???

14. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

It's in the topic title :)

=> iPhone > AirPlay > DMP-A6 (AAC decoded) > USB DAC out

I supposed EverSolo manual had in mind that all digital PHYSICAL input connections only support output audio by analogue output, not digital output. That must be by design, getting the COAX/TOSLINK/Bluetooth directly to the DAC?

DMP-A6 appears as an available speaker that can be successfully selected.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2024
  15. Mister L

Mister L Active Member

This is nothing new.

Same does Audirvana via UPnP.

DMP A6 then output to USB DAC is possible. This is also nothing new.

But it is not possible to get digital out to any speakers by example.

Screenshot 2024-02-25 114053.png

16. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

Well, this not what the user manual implied, so this is new to me at least.