Dark picture.

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by Grayson, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Grayson

Grayson New Member

All my media devices go through my denon amp with a single output.
    I have noticed the zidoo outputs a dark picture for all files. This causes a loss of detail in dark scenes.
    I have a b6 oled and brightness is set to 51 which is fine for my 4k blu ray player and sky. However, in order for the zidoo to output the same level of detail in dark scenes I have to turn the brightness up to 64.

I set all picture settings all auto on zidoo
    Video bypass on amp.
    Firmware v1.4.16
    Android version. 6.0.1

This makes me wonder how many other picture areas could be wrong for this player.

Has anyone else experiencing this issue?

Any idea what could be wrong?

2. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Have you tried connecting X9S directly to TV?
    Anyway, I also have too dark videos. I don't change anything on TV configuration.
    As suggested by another user I've set HDMI Range mode to limited (HDR is still recognized and handled), all the rest to auto, image parameters to 35 luminance and 30 contrast, checking with "calibration" videos for white, black and grey range, and now is acceptable.
    With (rather) od FW there wasn't this dark image problems, but many other that now seem solved (I don't know which)
    For my use, this issue and some related to unwanted upscaling (I want to be able to choose between X9S and TV upscaling) and resolution change.
    P.S. I'm checking 1.5.0 FW release, maybe something is handled better, except darker videos, still present.

Grayson likes this.
  3. Grayson

Grayson New Member

Thanks for taking time to reply. I will follow your recommendations and let you know the results.

4. Grayson

Grayson New Member

Setting HDMI to limited has done the trick. Many thanks.
    Getting another problem now though. Audio dropouts when watching 4k content. Any idea?

5. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

Some have experienced audio drop outs etc on 4K as using cheap or supplied Hdmi cable.
    use another quality branded cable that fully supports 4K .

Grayson likes this.
  6. Grayson

Grayson New Member

That seems to have done the trick thanks.
    One last question should I play files with native player or nupalyer?
    Also should I use zdmc? At the minute I'm just going into explorer and opening files.

Thanks all.

7. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

All depends what you prefer ?
    I use Hometheater app
    No issues for what i req etc .

8. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

Try all and choose the one that satisfy you.
    I don't think Zidoo consider a local file o a file from a local share a "streamed" content.
    NuPlayer is used as (alternative) external player by ZDMC only for streaming contents.
    But you can deduce it by yourself, if you read explanations in configuration interface (OK, in Zidoo device not all interfaces are fully or well traslated, and some times you MUST interpret by yourself using your knoledge and skillness).
    My personal taste is to use always Media Center (that, unluckily uses only Zidoo native player) for "local" media, and ZDMC for streamed.
    Default configuration of ZDMC choose NuPlayer, an apreciated open source player that some consider better then internal ZDMC player.

OK. Something that confuse people:
    In X9S there are three player - Zidoo Native (always used by Media center), ZDMC native player (the same as any Kodi intallation uses), and NuPlayer, available as an alternative but AFAIK only inside ZDMC for playing streaming.

Will be nice if someone by Zidoo will put this information in a more complete way and in a dedicated thread.

P.S. I don't cite Hometheater because I don't like it (not exactly, I hate it!) and don't use it at all.
    Ask someone other about.

Coruja3D, videobruce and Grayson like this.