Dac-Z8 sticking on 192khz apple music

Discussion in 'Eversolo DAC-Z6 / DAC-Z8' started by IainOb1, Nov 3, 2023.

1. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

When using apple music if you play a high res file it immediately turns the DAC to 192khz. When it then changes to play a regular lossless file the display still shows 192khz.
    You can skip from track to track and it will stay at 192khz.

You have to stop the track and wait for about 3-4 seconds then play the track and it will change back to 48khz. If you play a track to quickly after a hi rez file it will not change the khz rate back.

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Via BT, right?

Most probably it's the display not being updated... you cannot play a stream with a different sample rate.

3. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

I assumed it is just the display.

This is directly connected via phone through usbc.

Still needs a fix as it can change to it immediately but not back. If you are playing continuously it simply won't change back at all. This means you can't see if it the files are hi Res without going back to the phone.

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That would be for Apple music only, I think, as I do this very often; 44.1, 48, 96 even 192 back and forth, and my Z8 always displays the correct sample rate.
    On USB B from a Raspberry Pi.

5. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

Put the DAC on this morning with apple music via USBC on a 44 khz file it changed to 768khz on the display. It is not changing now when you use YouTube or RAdio Paradise it's stuck at 768khz on the display.

Something in either the software or this phone doesn't work with dac display.

When I first plug the phone in the display reads pcm 384 khz

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It just jumps to 768kHz ALWAYS when you switch it on. (don't know, maybe it is the last item in a list, and since no match is found it stucks to the last... software glitches...
    You sure the DAC was ON before you started streaming? (I know it should be impossible, but...)
    If it is so, then the problem needs investigation... looks like it is in the Apple thing, as I do not experience anything playing, through USB, local FLACs at any sample rate.
    Of course the stream from your phone is not 768, so it looks like it cannot sense it...

7. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

When I turn the DAC on with nothing plugged in it has pcm 44.1khz on the display.
    When I plug the phone in it says 384khz immediately.

I also notice if I play anything below 48 khz on the phone it always shows 48khz. So even though the phone can do hi Res it must still be doing some upsampling internally even using a usb DAC.

I video link in say, WhatsApp jumps the DAC to 768khz
    If I then go on apple music no matter the file it stays at 768khz

It just looks like the software isn't working very well either with this phone in combination with the software in the DAC.

So I've no idea at what res the fact is actually playing at.

8. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

Mine sits at 44.1khz when you turn it on.

Radio paradise on the phone jumps it to 768.
    That's without going on Apple music.

Looks like the software just isn't working properly.

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

At least your phone seems to resample everything to 48.
    The fact that it shows 384 or 768 could be the initial handshake between the devices...
    What version are you on the Z8? Should be 1.0.0.52, which is the latest official.

10. IainOb1

IainOb1 New Member

It's the latest firmware was already on.

Yeah it just pretty random if it actually shows the correct khz rate. The only one it gets right straight away is 192. Any 192 snaps it right away. The rest sometimes change but mainly just show incorrectly.
    96 comes up as 192.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2023
  11. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Can you try to play some FILE out of a PC? It seems to me that your phone is playing weirdo.

Also, from the PC, try both USB inputs, the type B and the type C... it could be also a discrepancy between the two.

12. salora

salora Member

I won’t say it is an apple music issue. I have an ipad and iphone connected on usb-c and each time the sample rate changes on the app it is reflected on my z8 dac. If possible could you try to reset the z8 to factory settings?