Choosing between X20, X20 Pro and Z1000

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1296)' started by xliv, Jun 14, 2019.

1. xliv

xliv Member

Hi all,
    I'm willing to ditch my MediaCenter PC to switch to a media player box, and Zidoo looks like the right choice. I've looked at current models, and am now hesitating a lot between these 3 models: X20, X20 Pro and Z1000.

I have a large collection of movies, some are BR ISOs or folders, some are mkv. Blu-ray menu navigation is important to me. My movies are located on a server, so local disks are not useful to me.

My media center is connected to a Pioneer amp through HDMI, and then to a TV and a projector. Both are 4k and HDR compatible. Projector also supports 3D.

What are the real differences between the 2 X20 and the Z1000?
    I see that they have dual HDMI output, IR extender, USB-C, but those are not important for me. So is the superior audio processing of the Pro version as I think I'll continue to pass audio through the HDMI.
    Are there other differences, for exemple the FW or SW, the support for BR menu, quality of image, etc?

And in my case, would I benefit from the features of the X20 Pro vs the X20? It seems to have greater memory, but unclear about the benefit of this.

Many thanks - there are probably answers to my questions in some thread, but have not found any.

2. Zlim

Zlim New Member

Hi,

From what I can tell, X20's have the same firmware as the Z1000. You get mainly an ESS audio DAC with XLR outputs, more ram (4gb instead of 2gb) and dual HDD slots.

Now depending on your setup, the requirement will be different. Does the ESS sound better than the Realtek? Never saw a review that compared both..To me the z1000 does all I need (other than dolby vision which no players does).

Again do you need the extra features? If yes, you answered your question :)

Cheers

3. xliv

xliv Member

Hi,
    I finally went ahead and bought a Z1000. Indeed, since my audio path is HDMI, and I want to use my amp to switch HDMI inputs and distribute them to TV and Projector, I don't need so much the better audio, nor the audio only output.

So far, I love it. I have started listing some issues or wishes (to ditch my Media Center PC for good), I'll post some here.
    Regarding firmware, the box was already shipped with the latest (2.2.82), which seems indeed to be the same as the other boxes.

However now there was a post about a 2.2.85, I haven't yet tried yet the OTA update to see if this firmware too is deployed for the Z1000 as well.