CD info playback

Discussion in 'Eversolo' started by EricSnelleman, Jul 11, 2023.

1. EricSnelleman

EricSnelleman New Member

Hi, just got the DMP, when playing CD's ( on a Advance Paris XCD-5, coaxial in,RCA out) the DMP does NOT show any cover art or any other info, just a blank screen, the VU meters work.

Any way to fix this ?

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

It's a CD... should the A6 fetch the album-art online?

3. EricSnelleman

EricSnelleman New Member

artwork would be nice but at least artist and album/track info I would think ?

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The CD does not contain any information you are mentioning; so retrieving the Artist name, the album title, the track names and/or the album art is the same thing: requires the A6 to fetch such data from the internet.
    In other words, if it does not retrieve the album art, it won't retrieve anything else as well; IMO this functionality is not implemented for CD playback (it could be, OTOH, for CD ripping... but I don't know)

5. EricSnelleman

EricSnelleman New Member

Thanks for that feedback Nutul, but I used to have a CD player that would show artist and track info on the its display, I think its called text-cd ? so the info is there I would think, showing it on the DMP would require decoding that but I would think the info is on the CD as CD players are not connected to the internet

6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yes, some CDs have the CD-text, the A6 should be able to retrieve it somehow... since the CD playback/rip still needs some work, probably in the end the CD-text functionality could be integrated.
    Meanwhile you can post a feature-request in the relevant thread, so it may get more visibility.

7. JRicoC

JRicoC New Member

Integration could perhaps be made for a USB-connected drive, but in the OP's use case (as a transport) retrieval would not be possible ...

Nutul likes this.
  8. Brand Don

Brand Don New Member

I have a APPLE SUPERDRIVE, i hook up thru usb otg and set
    To file transfer but i cannot find the cd drive? Did i miss something? Thanks

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Brand Don likes this.
  10. Houdini

Houdini Member

I think there are plenty of amps and dacs that can retrieve embedded data from the CD via digital out, after all it's digital. I would also really love for this feature to get implemented, I possible. One of the Cambridge audio pieces does this between it's CD player and amp, one digital cable and the amp grabs the data and fills in more info like artwork etc.

11. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

But it probably does this over the internet link using the usual databases not the digital coax signal itself ?

12. Houdini

Houdini Member

For the album art yes, but for the actual track listing and artist info, that's part of the data on the CD. Album art would be great, but yes A6 would have to pull it from some database. For CD text, no it should be able to read the information.

13. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

If you play a CD on the A6 via an external optical drive over USB, the A6 pulls the artwork, album name and track info from online databases. Usually it forgets to show you the artist name but that is another issue. If it can't get an online match, the track names are not filled in, they are not coming from the CD itself I think.

14. Houdini

Houdini Member

We are talking about two different things, CD text has been around longer then the artist/album databases to pull from. A co-ax or optical cable is transmitting the same information that is located on the disc it self. When you put a CD into your car radio and displays the CD text, it's not pulling it from the web, that data is on the disc as "data".

There are plenty of receivers and dac components that can read this data, A6 is essentially a computer running Android modified version, so there is no reason that it should not be able to interpret that data, at least that I know about.

15. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

OK thanks for that. My car never displays anything about cds when I play them, just the usual track number and duration just like CD players of yore.

16. Houdini

Houdini Member

Yeah no worries, I just wanted to make sure we were talking about the same thing. I do agree that it would be great if the data pulled from the CD could assist in deeper data pull from database to get pic etc, but I would be happy with display of CD text.

"Track IDs, CD Text and other subcode info are stored in unused bits that are part of the digital data stream that makes up a S/PDIF signal. If you send a S/PDIF signal through any interface, the subcode info will be included"

Jjb067 likes this.