Cant get correct audio/subtitle selection to work for Anime?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by andy22, May 24, 2022.

1. andy22

andy22 Active Member

I did flag my Anime collection with one "Default" flag on the "jpn" audio track and set "Default" + "Forced" on the correct subtitle track.

Yet whatever i try on "auto" settings, the player always picks the first/eng audio track by default and if i switch the audio to jpn it picks the first eng subtitle track, instead of the default/forced?

I would expect that on "auto" language settings the player picks the "default" flagged audio track and than also picks the default/forced subtitle track, if there is a language miss-match? Thats how most players i tested on PC work by default.

So how can i get the player to just follow the default flagged audio track and also pick the double flagged subtitle track?

2. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Um is no one watching Anime? Do i need to better describe the issue/bug?

Basically if i set all to all language/subtitle settings to "Auto" i would expect the player picks the "default" flagged audio track and than the "forced" or "default" subtitle track, if there is a language mismatch between them. I cant set any languages, since for normal Movie/TV stuff i want english audio only, yet for Anime/Foreign shows i want the jpn,kor,chz audio track and english subs.

I cant setup those rules in 90% of the players out there.... no clue why, only LAV filters, mpv and MX player allow this correctly.

So the trick i use is to manually flag the audio/subtitle tracks, but this only works if the player in its default state actually uses those flags, which the internal player seem to ignore?

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

A suggestion, if the files are mkv it's an easy matter to either remove unwanted tracks or set your desired default tracks. I routinely remove all subs I don't need basically leaving the full English dialog only, as I have age related hearing loss, and getting rid of all the extra languages except in foreign movies - I hate dubbed in English that occasional crops up. I use MKVToolNix. If I want to archive the unwanted tracks I use MKVCleaver to extract the tracks.

4. andy22

andy22 Active Member

I have my own script for this: https://github.com/Andy2244/subby

The issues is the zidoo player does not use those flags....i have actually set "forced" and "default" on the eng audio and correct subtitle track, yet the player does not pick those. It seems like most players zidoo just ignores any audio flags and also does not strictly follow subtitle flags.

What is missing is a setting to use the "default" flagged tracks ... per default, if all settings are on "Auto" AND the languages mismatch.

5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I’ve got into the habit in pre zidoo days to strip out all unnecessary tracks. Most of the time I extract the sub of my choice as a separate file with the video. So basically my library consists of a folder per movie with the MKV file plus a srt or sub file. Never have any problems

6. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Ofc you can do this, but actually having the player to correctly handle basic flags is so trivial to-do and literally just a few lines of code. I'm always baffled how something so trivial seems to be missing or handled incorrectly on so many players.

7. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I ran into this as well, and it was random, based on the episode that was played previously. I kept thinking it may be a cache issue with the zidoo default player. When I realized I was not crazy in the head after ripping the entire game of thrones series (24 discs) i figured out that I was setting it right in makemkv as default and forced, yet it kept going to a commentary track or sometimes actually play the atmos track from the uhd. The solution was to pull the mains and reboot the zidoo. That corrected it and its been right sense. Flipping back and forth between kodi on shield and zdmc and back to zidoo player helped me trouble shoot it, but in the end it was stuck in cache from the first time i played the mkv file via zidooplayer. Rebooted the device and the issue went away.

8. andy22

andy22 Active Member

I had to-do this anyway because of other bugs, this never changed the behavior. Keep in mind that the Zidoo player saves your audio/sub choices on a per file basis if the "bookmark" feature is enabled. Yet this solves nothing, since its not "intelligent" like some other players that than try to apply the same settings to all files in the series/folder.

Again the main issue is that the zidoo player does not implement "default" mkv flag handling at all, which is really trivial to-do.

9. nc88keyz

nc88keyz Active Member

I have done several muxes of 3d with dtsx or atmos and i believe it does in my case. i set the default flag in the later versions of tsmuxer, as well as makemkv and it seems to work in my experience. How would i test that it is not working would you suggest? I set the default flag as well as the language flag, either in tsmuxer or makemkv. and sometimes edit through mkvtoolnix header

10. andy22

andy22 Active Member

Just set default flag to one audio and subtitle track, that is not the first. The file should also have extra "eng" flagged audio/subtitle tracks. Than just set audio/language/subtitle settings to "auto".

PS: I also have some testfiles here: samples - Google Drive