Can’t Change Order of Tracks in Local Playlists

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by pezvela, Nov 13, 2023.

1. pezvela

pezvela New Member

I’ve discovered it’s not possible to reorganize the order of songs in a local playlist so, if you want the songs in a playlist to play in a certain order you must add them that way. Starting with the last song first as it builds the playlist from the bottom up for some reason. Unfortunately, if you select one of the four filter options available there doesn’t seem to be a way to return to original playlist order.

It would be great if we could highlight a track(s) and drag it around within a playlist. Or some other method.

And please allow us to return tracks to the previous order if we rearrange them using the filter.

Thanks!

AndyLu likes this.
  2. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

In my experience (in the Android control app) it does not work when adding tracks either. When I add a single track it is not put in the playlist in order of adding but also sorted on alphabet. Not what you would expect. Maybe in iOS this is different?

Worse: If I add a whole album to a playlist all the tracks are out of order (sorted on alphabet instead of track number of the album). Even worse: If I add another album to the same playlist it gets sorted within the first album. Albums are not grouped. All the tracks are simply sorted on alphabet. I added the album 'Dark side of the moon' to the playlist and all the tracks where out of order and scattered on alphabet through the other albums in the list.

/warning: start rant
    I like where the app is going, but the playlists in the Eversolo app are completely unusable for me as it stands now.
    Since I am used to use a lot of well functioning playlists in other programs this is getting more and more frustrating to me to a point that I am not using the Eversolo app at all at the moment. I am back to my NUC with Foobar2000/Audirvana. I keep checking Eversolo firmware updates in the hope that the playlist functionality will be improved, but until then I am not able to use it.

What I also don't understand why there is no option 'add and play' or 'next play' on album level, but only on track level. If I want to place an album in the queue do I have to select 'next play' for every track seperately? Is the whole control app designed without preserving albums in mind?

In the Android control app I also see no way of sorting within a playlist. In cast mode I see (limited) sort options. I don't know if there are more differences.
    /end rant

I agree with @pezvela here and would like to add the following:
    • When adding a single track to a playlist: always add it last. (In other words preserve the order of adding).
    • When adding a whole album to a playlist: add the whole album last and preserve the track number order within the album.
    • Add a sort option 'sort by album' to the playlist (grouping by album and respecting the track numbers within the albums).
    • As the OP already said: Let the user change the order in a playlist by dragging tracks.
    • As the OP already said: Also give a sort option in the playlist to go back to the original order.
    • Add the option 'play next' or 'add and play' (basically the play queue) to more places and also respect the track order within an album when adding to queue.
    • Take away the functional differences between the Android app and the cast mode. (Like sorting available in both modes etc.)
    I know the development team has a lot on it's plate, but I certainly hope this is on the priority list and a bit higher on the list than cosmetic changes (like different lay-outs or different VU-meters). Maybe it goes too far to call the playlist issues 'bugs' (because essentially these are feature requests), but IMHO these are basic functionalities and without them the playlists are so crippled they are unusable.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2023
    Mikeees, mags and Nutul like this.
  3. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

On IOS you can change the order of play in album view or in a playlist:

Edit icon / 3 lines (burger menu) / hold 3 lines and then move up or down…

IMG_0067.jpeg IMG_0069.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
    Nutul and AndyLu like this.
  4. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

Thanks for the info, but that is not quite what I mean. You are referring to the play queue which is not the same as playlists. Also the Android control app is quite different from the iOS app and those are again quite different from the 'cast mode' (to make things even more confusing). Imaging the sheer horror for a development team to have to develop and maintain and keep in sync three different apps, which basically do the same (oops wait a minute... :)).

In the cast mode I can see the options you point out in your screen shots. The (Android) control app does not have this option for the play queue (only a '+' and a recycle bin) and apparently (as you show) the iOS app has that option (minus the '+' button).

On (Android) there is no option within the playlists to manually re-arrange the tracks, neither (in the Android control app) is there the option to manually re-arrange the play queue.

Also, all the other points I mentioned in my previous post are IMO basic options needed for a proper functionality of playlists.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2023
  5. Bergholdt

I was just pointing out IOS functionality.

I know there are differences and it seems Eversolo now agree to create a horizontal option for Android tablets which might make IOS and android tablets have the same functionality.

And I agree about what should be ‘basic, proper functionality’. And it seems like Eversolo do know about this and have it in the pipeline…

We all probably have different ways of using playlists and streamers / network options in general, so I’m sure it’s not an easy job to please us all :)

AndyLu likes this.
  6. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

The Android and iOS app differ in much more ways than only a horizontal option. iOS has alphabet selection letters at the right of lists which the Android version does not have. There are many other lay-out and functional differences. I can't compare all functionality because I don't have an iOS version at the moment. One thing is sure: Only a horizontal option for Android won't cut it I am afraid ;). As I mentioned, the development team did not make it easy for themselves trying to balance so many plates with three different apps (Android app for the Eversolo itself internally. Separate Android control app. Separate iOS app). I don't know how many Eversolo developers there are working on this but I wish them luck.

Maybe I am a simpleton, but in hindsight only a 'cast option' (on Android and iOS) would have been a much more economical/practical/pragmatic option because in that case the development team only had to maintain one app (the internal Eversolo Android app). Maybe now it is a bit more than they can chew for a completely new device with completely new software in such a short period of time? I don't doubt that it will come around eventually, but when is eventually?

Last edited: Nov 18, 2023
  7. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

So I'm not the only one listening to that great saxophonist that is Sylvain Rifflet, uh...?

8. Bergholdt

I listen to a lot of jazz but this one was new to me.

I enjoy listening to all new releases in jazz, electronica, soundtrack and folk…

If anything, the A6 has enhanced my joy of listening to music in general.

For those who like classical / choir music, I would like to point out the surround recordings from the 2L label in Norway.

www.2l.no

9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

You may want to have a listen to Avishai Cohen Trio (Gently Disturbed, or From Darkness) if you're not yet familiar with it.
    Also, something different and particular: Hadouk Trio (Now, or Baldamore).
    I am into many different genres, but recently (say, the last two years) I just shifted a bit towards Jazz / Bebop / Ambient... Sometimes my progressive-metal soul awakens, thou'...

10. Bergholdt

Yes, I came across those names before :) Love the upright bass (as a Dane, Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen is a must).

For jazz / ambient also Svaneborg-kardyb comes to mind. Very minimalistic keys and drums…

Maybe we need a thread for genre / artist recommendations ;)

Nutul likes this.
  11. Bergholdt

I tried looking at one of my own playlists and I can sort in 4 ways on IOS, so it is not only alphabetic order but also add time. There are also more options, if you press the 3 dots by a track.

Not sure if this is what you were looking for. Just for info :)

You can see that with ‘add time decending’ my added albums to this playlist (130 tracks - not sure how many albums) show up in the correct order they are on the album. The next albums also play in the right order…

All my playlists are currently just (mostly) all albums by one artist and I normally play playlists in shuffle mode.

IMG_0075.jpeg IMG_0072.jpeg IMG_0074.jpeg IMG_0073.jpeg

12. Bergholdt

Also, I can add both the whole album or just one track:

IMG_0076.jpeg IMG_0077.jpeg

AndyLu likes this.
  13. AndyLu

AndyLu Member

Thanks for the research ;)

In the Android control app the sorting orders you show are not available.
    In 'cast mode' the sorting orders are available, but in my list (created in the control app) the album groupings and (track number) sortings are not respected. I have an album of Fred Hersch and 'The Dark side of the moon' in the playlist and both albums are mixed up no matter what sorting order I use. I checked the metadata in the tracks and track numbers, album titles 'album artists' and artists are all present. I also checked with other music apps (Foobar, Audirvana etc.) and those programs have no problems with the correct order of these albums.

In the Android control app on album level (your 5th screenshot) I only see 2 options: 'Favorite' and 'Add Artist tracks to playlist'. If I choose 'Add Artist tracks...' the tracks are mixed through the other tracks on alphabet without grouping the albums. Remember there are no sort options for playlists in the Android control app.
    In 'cast mode' the order of that same playlist is still a mish mash of all tracks mixed up. In cast mode I can use the sort orders A-Z, Z-A, 'oldest..newest', 'newest..oldest'. No matter what order I use the tracks are not grouped per album and not sorted on track number but on time or alphabet.

I started a complete new playlist only in 'cast mode' in cast mode on album level I see an option 'Add album to playlist'. When I do that with multiple albums and sort on 'newest..oldest' the grouping of the albums is correct and the track order is correct. When I use oldest..newest the grouping of albums is correct but all the tracks are in reversed order per album. A..Z and Z..A mix up all tracks on alphabet.
    So the 'cast mode' is more usable than the control app. But still the track-numbers seem not respected here.

In short:
    • Again thanks for you research, but the iOS and the Android control apps seem completely different in playlist functionality/ordering/adding/sorting etc.
    • Playlists made in the Android control app do not sort/group correctly and stay incorrect when opened in 'cast mode'. Also there are no sort options at all.
    • There is a clear difference in sorting/grouping when a playlist is created in the Android Control app vs a playlist created in 'cast mode'.
    • Playlists made in 'cast mode' behave better and have more sort options. But also here there are no options for manually changing the order of tracks and the sort orders are limited and not always correct per album.
    • In both cases, when adding tracks/albums to playlists, the order of adding is not respected.
    Sorry I have not provide any screen shots, because I had some trouble on my phone (Android) making them :p.

From your information I can see that the iOS app seems to have more options and different functionality compared to the Android app. I can only hope that the development team puts some priority in mitigating these differences. Again, thanks for the insight!

Last edited: Nov 17, 2023
  14. pezvela

pezvela New Member

I could suggest the developers study the iTunes app and emulate its playlist, import, sorting, etc. functions. It’s been a while, but I recall that app pretty much had everything figured out many years ago. And we were able to clean up the metadata if needed.

Been using Audirvāna for many years and same thing. I sure hope they sort all this out soon.

Thanks!

AndyLu likes this.
  15. Brucr

Brucr New Member

I think this is the place to ask the question, When using a streaming service and I add a song or album to the Queue I do not see where I can add more track to the queue or albums am I missing something.

16. Bergholdt

I don’t think that’s possible. But it’s important to point out which platform you are on. Functionality is different between using the screen of the A6 and using Android / IOS apps on your phone or on a tablet. So technically, there could be 5 different ways to control music.

On iPad when playing local files, you can click on the 3 dots of a track and choose ‘Next play’. That will add this single track to your ‘Play queue’. But this is not available when using streaming services. You can only add a track or album to a playlist and then play that playlist from start to end or by using ‘shuffle’ mode.

@mirror mentioned that Eversolo were working on a hybrid playlist function. I assume, this is to have a playlist with tracks/albums from different services and maybe also local files all together in one place.

17. Brucr

Brucr New Member

Thank you. Yes I am on IOS. I think you answered my question. I am loving the A6 Master edition and the app design is top notch. I like to start a queue and then add albums or track on the fly to the queue. This Ould be a great addition then I could ditch Roon... I am talking about using a streaming service I just got the A6 and do not have my library added to it yet. Like I said it would be wonderful to add to the queue from a music service such as Qobuz rather then having to create a play list for the music I want to listen to that day.

18. Bergholdt

Yes, being able to add tracks or whole albums to a play queue would be nice to have even if I mostly just listen to one whole album at a time (and then find a new album later when the first one has finished playing).

AndyLu likes this.
  19. pezvela

pezvela New Member

I still can’t reorganize songs in playlists in the latest update (1.2.30).

Zidoo if you’re out there, I know it’s called a streamer, but you hooked me with the included slot for an HDD. This area of the product doesn’t seem to have the focus of other features such as display options and as each update passes I’m concerned it never will. Playlists (and all the normal local music playback software features) are important to me. Because so many other devices and software are able to do this, and Zidoo has been so accommodating with other requests, I can’t help but think this thread isn’t being seen by them. How can we know?

If I’m overlooking the fix for this I would appreciate someone letting me know.

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2023