Built in NAS hard drives

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X20' started by Mr N J Trowell, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Can NAS hard drives be used with x20 ?. If so how do you set them up ?
    I have no idea what NAS or what it can do.. Help please

2. Surely someone knows. Any body out there ?

3. gr3358

gr3358 New Member

Open the OpenWrt in browser.
    Insert the IP address of X20 and input the default user & password:"root".
    Expand "NAS Services" -- “Samba”

4. gr3358
    Thanks for the info
    The other part of my question is What is it used for/what does it do.?

5. gr3358

gr3358 New Member

To know samba I recommend you look on the internet
    Basically it allows the interconnection of Windows, Linux, etc. networks, allowing access to Windows files.

6. Thank's I will check it out

7. Still need help in setting up a nas drive in x20
    Can anyone explain in as much detail as possible how to get films from x20 to windows 10 laptop using a red wd nas drive in a x20 setup.

8. skelton

skelton Member

Open up a browser and type in the internal IP address of your player, for example \\192.168.0.5 and if asked for username/password, type it in and you should now be able to access the content from your X20.

9. gr3358

gr3358 New Member

Check the following in the windows laptop:
    If you don't have direct access to the device running the SMB service, you can enable the SMBv1 protocol for the purpose of retrieving your files using these steps

Open Control Panel.
    Click on Programs.
    Click on Turn Windows features on or off link.
    Expand the SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support option.
    Check the SMB 1.0/CIFS Client option
    Click the OK button.
    Click the Restart now button.

gymnos likes this.
  10. skelton
    Are you saying browser in laptop or the x20 ?

11. gr3358
    have done that . Where would the files from x20 be . where would I look ?

12. gr3358

gr3358 New Member

13. gr3358

gr3358 New Member

14. skelton

skelton Member

Sorry, i meant file explorer window and not web browser window. Press Ctrl + E to open window and then type in the ip address in the address bar.

15. Still no luck. I have followed instructions very carefully but still none the wiser.
    I have I guess just got to wait till someone does a step by step instruction.
    At least I tried.

16. skelton

skelton Member

Ok, have a look at this step by step guide from Zappiti, it works the same way for Zidoo so start by open a file explorer window on your laptop (ctrl+e) and then type in the ip address of your X20, remember to include both backslashes (\\) before the ip address.
    https://zappiti.uservoice.com/knowl...work-transfer-how-access-to-your-zappiti-from

This works because i have done it many times on the X20 so try again and report back.

17. skelton
    Sir you are a life saver. worked first time.
    Now a happy 82 yr old.
    Can I do something similar with Android phone/ tablets ?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2018
  18. skelton

skelton Member

No problems, glad i could help:)

As long as you are connected to your home network (LAN) it’s really easy to access your files on the X20. For Android, there are several file explorer apps with media player built in and you can try them yourself, here are some options i found after searching Google. https://android.gadgethacks.com/news/5-best-free-file-managers-for-android-0162620/

You want to look for an app with Samba/SMB support and built in mediaplayer if you want to playback the files on your mobile/tablet. The principle is basically the same as you did earlier with typing in the ip address you want to connect.

But if you want to access your files from remote, it’s gets more complicated. You could try to install Plex Media Server on the X20 from Google Play Store and set up remote access in Plex. But i am not sure it’s even possible to run Plex on the X20.

The easiest way to have access to your media files remotely is to store them on a NAS drive like a Synology and then you can install Plex Media Server on the NAS which will let you playback your mediafiles on mobile when your are not at home.

19. skelton
    I have downloaded a file manager as you suggest. Mixplorer app plus paid extra for Samba plug in.
    I still am unable to see where I install ip address .Any idea ?

20. skelton

skelton Member

Sorry, i don`t use Android myself so not familiar with those apps but you could try and ask the developer for the app. There is an active MiXplorer thread here where the developer also answer questions.