Best way to play HDD media on dumb TV?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1295)' started by divine, Nov 18, 2018.

1. divine

divine New Member

Hey,

I'm looking for the best/cheapest solution for this question. I have a non-smart TV (has hdmi inputs etc, just not the smart bits). I want to buy some sort of media player box, that i can load up with media (tv/movies), that can then be plugged into the TV and played from there.

Requirements:

-Play most common filetypes
    -Have a physical remote control (not just smartphone apps)
    -All connections wired and not wifi based
    -Either have built in storage, the ability to add a hdd to it, or to plug an external hdd in.

Not required but would be nice: -Netflix/etc support, wifi access issue to be addressed at a later date.

This won't be at my home (where i have a chromecast/plex/etc situation), it's in a school-like setting. External internet access for the setup, or using the internal wifi to link things isn't viable right now.

I've been browing and it seems like my options are either

1. to get a roku/wdtv/etc and an external hdd

2. to get one of these, and add an internal hdd to it. I like the idea of being able to add any hdd i want as well as only one box over two, but it's hard to judge build quality/reliability etc when you can only find things on places like Dealextreme.

3. to get an external hdd with a hdmi out. these seem to be pricey.

I don't really care which option as long as it works simply and reliably, but obviously would like to minimize the overall costs as much as possible.

Anyone had any experience with a setup like this?

Thanks!