Apple Music/Apple Music Classical on the A8

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by eieio, Dec 13, 2023.

1. eieio

eieio New Member

Hi All:

long time audio enthusiast here. i plan on getting the A8 immediately after i understand how a few things would work on the A8, so i'm asking the kind folks here a few questions. thank you all in advance.

i plan to use Tidal and Apple Music/Apple Music Classical with the A8. Currently, i ONLY have Tidal streaming via my Node X, fed into an Anthem AVR, which in turn is connect to multiple speakers for Atmos and my main front speakers are superior to the rest of the Atmos speakers. no issues with using Tidal at 192kHz via the Node X currently.

Question: i see that the Apple Music app is installed already on the A6/A8, so that should work fine out of the box, right? i listen to a great deal of classical music as well, so if i were to subscribe to Apple Music, i'd also want to take advantage of their acquisition of Primephonic, so this brings us to the Apple Music Classical situation.

i emailed Eversolo and i also posted on a forum (which "mirror" tech support member replied). Eversolo's first response is that Apple Music Classical is NOT supported by the A6/8! that seems not possible. mirror's reply (he is tech support at Eversolo) on a forum was that one must "sideload" it and he even supplied the file(!) in one of his posts.

one friend is guessing (merely guessing) that Apple Music Classical might be merely a catalog, and that one doesn't need Apple Music Classical ON the A8 for it to function. one would only need it ON the A8, he speculates, if one were to use the front panel interface, which i do not plan on using too often because my equipment is all co-located on racks in a media closet. he is guessing that one may use the Apple Music Classical app on an Android or iPhone/Pad to control the A8 and one need NOT sideload it at all onto the A8. can this possibly be true?

then, to make matters much worse, i received a follow up tech support reply directly from Eversolo that says that Apple Music Classical currently does NOT support high resolution on the Eversolo at all!!! there is a problem with their display that BLOCKS the ability to tap a button on the Apple Music Classical app to go to High Resolution! they said they'll need to work on this in a future firmware update - no date given!

i'm now very confused as to whether or not Apple Music Classical, as well as Apple Music, can be streamed properly via the A8 at HIGH RESOLUTION 192! while i currently use Tidal, i'd like to also use Apple Music and Apple Music Classical when i get the A8 because it is the only way to have a simple one box solution to stream Apple Music Classical at high resolution (Apple TV 4K limits to 48kHz).

may i ask for some thoughts, advice please?

thank you all in advance.

2. Dr. Audio

Dr. Audio Member

Hello.
    I am not an expert. I love classical music and have used Apple Music (AM) since its development. I own an A6. I have not tried to use the Apple Classical App on the A6 because I have never seen the need. The standard app has PLENTY of classical music to listen too. Especially if you hit the Search function on the A6 than find the Classical browsing setting, you are in the same findings of Apple Classical—even the metadata which has been added to a drop down window on the standard A6. The little spiel are missing thought. You can always read them on your device while the A6/8 is playing. So don’t fret about not having that particular app for classical. If Apple ever decides to release the license to Zidoo then that will be gilding the lily but you can be very happy with A8 as it comes out of the box. AM is preloaded and you just press the icon and there it is. AM has to be configured in settings on the home screen on the AM app. There is very little classical music in 24/192–mostly chamber or solo piano. Not much difference in Qobuz and Presto which I have auditioned. AM uses that mostly for pop (if it is real). So 24/96 is the common configuration. If you see “lossless” on the tag rather than “hi-resolution” on a newish album you might be surprises to see 24/48 but older records are still CD resolution. The A6 cannot handle Dolby Atmos. So I use Apple Play to stream to my Apple TV 4k (second generation) which will pass the Dolby metadata to my Anthem 60 pre-amp which is Dolby enabled. By configuring the Anthem to use the input from the A6 and then use a different input for the Apple TV I can hear both using the same set of speakers. I sometimes use 7.1 conversion for the A6 output for fun (the purists are grabbing their hearts now). But mostly the 7.1 is for Dolby Atmos and for Netflix which goes into the ARC input on the Anthem from my 4k TV. I hope this answers your questions. If not write in again.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  3. Lesfetes

Lesfetes New Member

4. eieio

eieio New Member

thank you @Dr. Audio and @Lesfetes

my audio equipment is in a rack in a closet, so i cannot use the front panel of the A8 to control what i'm listening to.

may i ask what is the solution for me please? i noticed today, i just got the Apple TV 4K in order to hear what Apple Music sounds like, and there is NO WAY to control Apple TV's Apple Music app via a phone app!

confused. thanks in advance.

5. Lesfetes

Lesfetes New Member

Hello

use the Eversolo app and the cast function within that app, that way the screen of your phone or tablet becomes the same as the front of the Eversolo and can be used as such.

You don’t need to touch the Eversolo at all, that’s how I do it for both Apple Music as Classic.

btw high res just works using the loaded apps on Eversolo, no worry. Personally I use an external DAC on my a6 and that shows bitrates from Apple Music up to 192 and shows also DSD when I use Roon. The Eversolo is perfectly capable.
    Only down side I have is you cannot use it with airplay2 for multi room solution, but as high res stand alone: a beauty

Last edited: Dec 13, 2023
  6. ammar11

ammar11 Well-Known Member

As mentioned by @Lesfetes use the Cast option. The screen of the A8 will be duplicated on the app.

Apple TV 4K will resample everything, I mean everything to 48 kHz, so s you're not getting bit-perfect even for standard CD-quality lossles tracks, and no chance at all gettting hi-res tracks. So you're not going to get "to hear what Apple Music Sounds like".

The only way to get bit-perfect CD or hi-res from Apple Music with what you have now is the Apple Music app on the A8.

Nutul likes this.