A8 volume issue

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by Stephen Batty, Apr 21, 2024.

1. Stephen Batty

Stephen Batty New Member

I have just recieved confirmation that this is normal operation for all A8 units from eversolo engineers

2. First Watt F2?

I've got an F4 which is unfortunately useless with the 10dB gain of the A8 unless you have speakers more than 98dB sensitive

Shame as it's one of the best sounding amps I've owned.

3. benma

benma Member

I wrote this message to Eversolo support in December 2023:

"Hello all,

I'm using the dmp-a8 also as a preamplifier. Its output voltage is 4.2V. For normal listening I have to set the volume to -30, sometimes even to -20. A8's RCA output is connected to my headphones amplifier. I have set its gain to the maximum +12db setting and I have to set the volume on my A8 to -20 or even to -10 for normal listening levels over my headphones. It's quite close to the 0 value.

My previous DAC/preamp device (Resolution audio Cantata Music Center) has 5.5/2.5V output voltage. I listen it with its output volume level set to 30-40%. In its application it is even possible to boost its output level. Would it be possible to do the same on the dmp-A8? Current 4.2/2,1V is on the very lower limit.

Best regards,
    xxxxx"

Their answer:

"Hi xxxxx,

The answer is no.

BR,
    Eversolo"

kumizi likes this.
  4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Not discussing the volume level per-se, but remaining strictly on output level, 4.2 to 5.5 is a good 22%...

Purité Audio likes this.
  5. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Active Member

Higher voltage equals louder, who would have thought.
    Keith

Nutul likes this.
  6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Yep! Math ain't for everybody as I can see...

7. benma

benma Member

I admit that as a layman in the field of electronics theory, I mixed up gain and volume, for which I apologize. But that doesn't change the facts about my experience about the A8's volume level and sound quality issues.

My complaint to Eversolo was unequivocal, the A8's volume level is too low:

"For normal listening I have to set the volume to -30, sometimes even to -20. A8's RCA output is connected to my headphones amplifier. I have set its (headphone amplifier's ) gain to the maximum +12db setting and I have to set the volume on my A8 to -20 or even to -10 for normal listening levels over my headphones. It's quite close to the 0 value."

Also, the solution used by the manufacturer Resolution Audio for the device I mentioned in my email results in a higher volume level (possibility of using additional boost as a setting in the device's web interface). This option was introduced because some users complained that the device volume level was too low. Maybe something similar could be done with the A8 as well.

8. Purité Audio

More powerful headphone amp perhaps?
    Keith

9. benma

benma Member

It's a Violectric hpa v200 headphone amp. Before A8 I had to set it to max. +6db gain. With my new preamp I've set it to 0db gain.

10. AMP

AMP New Member

I had similar issues. After resetting my A8 the issue seemed to go away. Now Analog volume is the same as digital.
    See my posting
    RCA Analog out volume much lower than Digital Optical out.

11. kumizi

kumizi New Member

I am using the A8 as a preamp and my Yamaha AS2200 in power amp mode.

The volume maxes out around 90DB playing music.

I don’t need more for music but it might be limiting watching an action movie through EArc. Disappointing

Last edited: Apr 24, 2024
  12. Jtho54

Jtho54 New Member

Bonsoir , j'ai eu l'A6 et je l'ai retourné pour le même problème que vous rencontrez , niveaux trop faible par rapport à la course du volume de mon ampli , RCA ou COAX j'ai un Yamaha NP S2000 que j'ai comparé et c'est le jour et la nuit , la puissance du son de mon Yamaha est juste incroyable avec le même volume , je considère que le A6 à un problème , pour le coup j'attends le A8 pour Samedi et là vous me rassurez pas du tout , mais si c'est pareil je le retournerez ...et je garderez mon Yamaha ....qui a 14 ans ... très bonne soirée

MSM5 and kumizi like this.
  13. Purité Audio

There is an agreed standard for AES, ( 1994 amendment 4 ) I will track it down .
    Keith

14. MSM5

MSM5 New Member

The volumes that you are describing are identical to what I experienced.

So here’s my update: I returned the A8 and ordered separates: an SMSL SU-10 DAC and a Ladder Bach preamp. The preamp hasn’t even shipped yet so it’ll be sometime before I get it, but I got the SU-1o today. Since it has a volume control on it I hooked it up directly to the power amp to give it try, and used my iPad Pro connected to the DAC’s USB-C input as the source. Since the output voltage on the DAC is ~5V with the XLRs I figured the sound level would actually be higher than average at a given volume setting, ummm… not the case! It’s actually not too dissimilar from the what I experienced with the A8, but only a tiny bit louder. That was a disappointment!

I’m hoping the answer is in the preamp… I have 3 AVRs in my house but neither of them has a preamp out so I can’t test adding a preamp until I receive the one I ordered.

Stephen Batty likes this.
  15. benma

benma Member

I'm quite skeptical regarding the quality of DAC/streamer/preamp combo devices under 5k. I'm still using the Resolution Audio Cantata Music Center (list price in 2010: 6k) occasionally. It lacks DSD and streamer functionality (DLNA only). So, I'm using the A8 as a DAC/streamer for listening DSD tracks, Tidal, internet radio, ARC only. When I want to really enjoy the music in PCM format (tracks from my NAS and CDs) I'm using the Cantata. Both of them are connected to the separate preamp. The Cantata sounds better over the separate preamp too, although it sounds much better connected directly to the power amp than the A8. I still think that the A8 is a good choice as a DAC/streamer under 2k.

I don't have any experience about SMSL and Ladder Bach, but I suppose the separate preamp will solve your problem for sure.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024 at 9:50 AM
  16. Purité Audio

17. benma

benma Member

Incredible how some people forget that we perceive music by listening with our ears, while we perceive the results of measurements with our eyes.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024 at 6:12 PM
  18. Purité Audio

It’s the eyes and the brain that gets you into trouble, if you are going to compare level matched and unsighted.
    fyi although the Cantata isn’t sota it is still almost certainly audibly transparent.
    Keith

mags and Nutul like this.
  19. Tidad

Tidad New Member

I have Klipsch Cornwalls which are noted as a GREAT pairing w FirstWatt amps... I'll take that useless hunk of metal off your hands. You're welcome

20. Yep you can have it for free but the postage is £1500 :D