A8 Audio engine ?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by BillyVegas, Dec 14, 2023.

1. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

What exactly is it , and should it be on or off ?

gracias !

bk

Attached Files:

2. Milky

Milky Active Member

It's the sampling rate that's use. Try it both ways and see what sounds best to you. There's no definitive answer. Might be no difference at all depending on the rest of your system.

3. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

Thanks , but any idea exactly what that means , technically?

System is Parasound A21 amp driving Salk Supercharged SongTowers .
    XLR cables from A8 into the amp.

bk

4. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

Pressing the questionmark, you get this info…

IMG_0143.png

Erland Loyd likes this.
  5. Milky

Milky Active Member

EOS (Eversolo original sampling-rate audio engine) is developed by Eversolo engineers, with the support of outputting original sampling rate, that is, audio playback completely bypasses the Android SRC restriction, supporting the Direct audio output of third-party apps (Apple Music hi-res Direct output).

It gives extra compatibility with apps that otherwise might be down sampled. Sometimes you could experience glitches or drop out if not at the correct rate. This feature should prevent that. But it could also potentially introduce glitches depending on the other software. Hence the option to turn it on or off. I know the a6 you could choose the sampling rate. So you could upgrade just one of the clocks and only use rates that clock uses.

I guess just leave it on and if you have any issues with playback or pops , then disable. I don't think you will hear a huge difference either way unless their is a problem. But then again it is posible that you could. Audio is a funny thing and there are no absolutes given how there are so many things that effect what you actually hear.

Erland Loyd likes this.
  6. Milky

Milky Active Member

I just re-watched a review by Tharbamar. He said that EOS also bypasses the Velvet Sound Verita and that it gave the A8 a very different sound signature. It's definitely worth trying it on and off and seeing which you like better if you're using the dac inside the A8 .

Last edited: Dec 14, 2023
  7. BillyVegas

BillyVegas Member

Thanks guys !
    I don’t hear a difference on or off ..

I’ll re-watch his video ..

bk

8. 1strail

1strail New Member

I have kind of a quirk with the setting. I have an A8 connected to a Denafrips external DAC connected directly to the power amp. The DAC has no display, but a series of LEDs that show the base frequency, either 44.1 or 48. Then to the right of that, some multiplier LEDs. If the EOS is turned on, the 44.1 LED is lit. The x1 multiplier is always x1, regardless of hi-res music playing or not. If I turn off EOS, the 48 khz LED comes on instead, as expected.

My problem is that when I turn on the EOS, no matter which setting I use for External DAC, DSD to PCM, DSD though PCM or Native DSD, it always shows as 44.1 khz in the graphic equalizer display of the Eversolo and the multiplier LED always lights the x1 light meaning the DAC is only detecting 44.1. It also shows correct db in the VU display meaning it’s pegging from -20db across the meter. If I turn EOS off, the DAC switches to 48 kHz, the multiplier changes to the X4 LED, 192 kHz, and db barely registers in the VU display. Again, doesn’t matter which external DAC setting I use. Is this expected behavior? I can clearly hear the difference between lossless and lossless/hi-res, so it sounds correct with either setting. I beginning to wonder if there is a DAC issue or configuration.

Trebz likes this.
  9. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

How is the Denafrips connected to the A8? Optical / Coaxial / USB ?

10. 1strail

1strail New Member

11. 1strail

1strail New Member

I have an SMSL DO 300 I can try to see if I get different behavior, it has a Window displaying streaming type and frequency. Or, I could wait for the Hestia preamp to arrive and see if that has an impact on the sound in the view meter. Should be here today or tomorrow.

Trebz likes this.