4K Atmos TrueHD problem

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by hellohowareyou, Dec 8, 2017.

1. hellohowareyou

hellohowareyou New Member

Hi all. New owner of X9S, and already facing problems that have left my head scratching.
    I can play 2D m2ts files with atmos audio and it plays atmos fine. Same with 3D atmos.
    When I play 4K HEVC with TrueHD or Atmos, the device won't play the atmos audio. Either it is silent, or produced lots of crackles. I know the files themselves have the right audio, as another device can play it perfectly fine.

I have kept the video at 3840x2160p. Deep color to Auro 10 bit, 12 bit (no change).
    Refresh rate at 60 Hz, 24 Hz no change. The video comes fine.

The funny thing is, when I change the video to 1920 X 1080 then the bitstream audio comes fine. What is going on? Any help will be much appreciated.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2017
  2. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Check your cables. I had a similar problem using regular high speed cables and the problem fixed by replacing them with expensive 4K certified cables.

hellohowareyou likes this.
  3. hellohowareyou

hellohowareyou New Member

Seems to have resolved the issue. I reset the device and changed to monoprice slim premium certified cable. The combination seemed to have worked. I mistakenly assumed that the zidoo provided cable would be 18Gbps, but guess I was wrong.

The 4K HEVC HDR Atmos files seems to be playing well now. Playing 50GB file through the network seems to be working well too.

I did notice that 4K60p makes the movies unstable, as in, when paused the image feels to be "shivering". Making the resolution to 4k24p makes it perfect.

After a bit of back and forth, I have kept it at 4k24p and deep color to auto (10 bit, 12 bit..), chroma to auto (4:4:4, 4:2:2...), as well as color to auto (RGB, YCbCr...). In short everything is set to auto. Auto itself seems to push the image to maximum capability).

Have the veterans found any better combination for video? Thanks again!

4. SaskMedia

SaskMedia Member

Try the latest beta firmware. It fixed all of my resolution switching issues. I can now keep it on auto and everything seems to work perfectly.

Also make sure you have the 24hz switching options enabled.