4k -- > 1080p why?

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by korayus, Apr 23, 2017.

1. korayus

korayus Member

Hi,
    I'm using Zidoo X9S (v1.3.0) and from the Android display settings I set the HDMI out to 3840 x 2160 p 60.
    Zidoo is connected to AVR ( Pioneer vsx-1131 4k upscale capable).
    When I play 4k video from ZDMC, HDMI output suddenly changes to 1080p. My AVR also says its upscaling to 4k.
    So I stop movie and enter resolution setup from android menu and its moved to 1080p! I re change it to 3840 x 2160 and when I resume playing video now everything seems fine. 4k signal dettected in AVR.

So could you check if this problems only occour to me.
    Thank you

2. gaki

gaki Member

Happened to me when i set the video about ycbcr4:4:4 (along with audio dropouts).
    Don't have this behaviour when set to 4:2:2.
    (I have a Pioneer vsx-831)

korayus likes this.
  3. korayus

korayus Member

Thank you I will try 4:2:2 too. Hope they will investigate this problem if its bug, probably will fix future firmware.

4. GoldBar

GoldBar Member

Happened to me too. This is a bug I hope that Zidoo will fix.
    The box changes the resolution setting by itself. I have set mine to 3840 x 2160p 60 and once in a while I find that the box changed it to 1080p!!! even when I play 4k movies.
    I need to go to the quick setting and change it back again.
    I have a 4k TV and a Denon AVR-x3300W supporting 4k with all the newest AV formats.

5. spring

spring Guest

Hi
    do you disconnect the "AVR to TV"?
    when X9S connect AVR, and AVR connect TV, the AVR will get the EDID of TV, then send the EDID to X9S, and X9S will know wheth the EDID can support 4K.
    when you disconnect the AVR to TV, the AVR will send the 1080P EDID to X9S, it will not contait the 4K EDID.

6. gaki

gaki Member

Why would it if it's 4K compatible ?

7. Sarco

Sarco Active Member Beta test group

By default your avr is 1080p... Check the order of start of your components. Ex: if avr turn on before zidoo and tv default will be 1080p ... Tv also play a role in setting... Maybe tv, avr then zidoo.. That why good universal remote have order and delay when putting on devices. EDID is pass from one to other devices. Usuly TV send EDID 4K to avr and avr send 4k to zidoo or vice-versa.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2017
    HaoSs likes this.
  8. gaki

gaki Member

I didn't know this fact on 4K compatible AVR.
    Thank you.

9. gaki

gaki Member

Well, with FW 1.4.4 playing with order of start of components isn't effective :(

There's also a crazy thing :
    Playing a 720p video, ZBMC suggests me to switch to 4k output.
    Playing a 4k video, the system switches to 1080p without asking

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  10. polakis

polakis Member

I cant watch 4K content either. Is turns to 1080p by it self. Please fix it!!!

11. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

gaki and polakis, are you playing this video with "something" between X9S and TV?
    If so, could you do the same tests with direct connection? To exclude intermediate culprit...

12. polakis

polakis Member

I play zidoo direct to tv

13. gaki

gaki Member

I have an AVR. But since i had less problem with FW 1.3.0 and i don't have problem with my other android box, it's hardly the culprit.

14. olisun

olisun Member

The problem is due to the Auto frame rate setting.

Either disable it during 4K playback or set your the hdmi resolution to the 2160p@60hz setting and it should play fine without switching to 1080p.

I need to find the correct order in which the devices need to be switched on to be able to use the HDMI auto setting.

15. gaki

gaki Member

Eventually i forced the output resolution to 2160p@60hz and kept auto frame rate to avoid judder.
    In this case, my TV or my AVR won't do the resolution upscale, the Zidoo will.
    Will see if it's as good as before.

Anyway, that's a bug that didn't exist before.

16. PacoRabanne

PacoRabanne Well-Known Member Beta test group

OK, I don't think the "real" culprit is something between X9S and TV, but any device between may make debugging harder.
    Anyway, possibly Zidoo now have some more info to detect and fight this bug.