16tb HDD for Z10Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Kurt, Mar 13, 2021.

1. Kurt

Kurt Member

Is there a list of compatible 16TB HDD's or does anyone have one they can recommend that is working with the Z10Pro?

Thanks

2. Kurt

Kurt Member

The WD easystore 7200 works OK (16TB) I broke it out of its case.
    Any type of format works, however formating in NTFS gives much faster write times over SAMBA .. up to around 50mb/s
    (Slower within the MAC OS itself however - same 50mb/s... but a ext format for example will give up to 250mb/s within the OS, but only 11mb/s over SAMBA network)

Also, not sure if it is per HDD or what, but plugging a big HDD into the Z10pro via its SATA ports or USB ports causes the HDD to continually run, getting very hot (over 7000 movies on it)
    Always seems to be searching for something, and always grinding away... Almost like its defragging or something.
    I ran many tests on this and couldn't get the HDD to run normal, no matter what I did (connection port or various formats)

4TB HDD's dont do this, either individual HDDs or set up within a larger RAID run normal no matter the connection port or format.

When I use this same 16TB Easystore over SAMBA, connecting the HDD to the MAC Pro, the HDD does not always run like its searching for something..its quiet like a regular HDD and doesn't get hot.
    This is why I run it via the SAMBA network instead of connecting it to the Z10pro.