100 Mbps 4K Video too much for my 1 Gbps Network?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by ckenisell, Mar 25, 2024.

1. ckenisell

ckenisell Member

Hi,

I've been trying to watch the final season of Game of Thrones on my new NAS using the Z9X Pro. But it's been very stuttery. Basically, unwatchable. Here is a screenshot of the data when watching Season 8 Episode 4.

[​IMG]

While the image above shows 85.6 Mbps, the final episode (E8) was on it's own disc and pretty much plays at or above 100 Mbps.

On a 1 Gbps ethernet network, 100 Mbps should only be about 10% of that. I am using Netgear Orbi RBR850 and RBS850 satellite routers. These support 1 Gbps as shown here:

[​IMG]

When I take my laptop to these locations, I am able to get over 900 Mbps internet via ethernet (I subscribe to 1 Gbps internet via fiber from my ISP.) So, I know the network supports 1 Gbps speeds.

Also, I copied the episode from my NAS to an external USB SSD drive. When I plugged this into the Zidoo, I was able to watch it from there with zero stuttering whatsoever.

So my questions:

1. Is it possible to test the speed of the Z9X Pro to/from the Synology NAS?
    2. How else should I troubleshoot that the Z9X Pro is stuttering from the SMB NAS? (Note that 3D BD and standard BD playback just fine since they are nowhere near 100 Mbps.
    Thanks!

2. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

In the real world I haven’t encountered a wifi system that can handle really high bit rates. I’ve stuck with wired Ethernet and don’t have any problems with playback. The moment I venture into wifi it’s a disaster.

3. ckenisell

ckenisell Member

Well, everything is connected via Gigabit ethernet. Nothing via WiFi. Although, I have just learned that, even though the Orbi and the Satellite are connected via ethernet, the satellite is in "WiFi" mode and is connecting to the main router wirelessly. How stupid is that? And I can't figure out how to get the Satellite to connect via ethernet. Ugh.

[​IMG]

4. ckenisell

ckenisell Member

Figured it out. The Orbi Satellite was not connected at my OnQ panel. So, therefore, was not connected to the main Orbi router via Ethernet. Game of Thrones is now buttery smooth!

5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member