HDMI Recording from Sky box

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9' started by winchesterstoke, Dec 11, 2015.

1. winchesterstoke

winchesterstoke New Member

Hi, first time poster...

My wife has bought me an X9 for Christmas - and I've read in on various reviews that there were problems recording over HDMI from a Sky box.

Has this been fixed in the latest firmware?

Does it help using an optical cable for the recording?

Does the recording work for encrypted recordings on the Sky box?

Many thanks!

2. papiguy

papiguy Member

Welcome winchesterstoke,
    Some issues have been fixed during this year, but I have no information about specific problems with Sky boxes.
    HDMI cable is the only possibility for recording. The optical connector is an out one.
    As far as you are using a Sky box, the signal is uncrypted by it and the zidoo being placed downstream to this box, there should not be any problem with encryption (I am using a CanalSat decoder which receives encrypted signal from the satellite, and the zidoo X9 works well).
    The problem you could meet is with HDCP (protection against copy) but this can be easily solved.

winchesterstoke likes this.
  3. winchesterstoke

Many thanks!
    Sounds as though I should be able to get it to work - which would be really good! Looking forwards to getting it on Christmas day (although I suspect the family will stop me playing with it on the TV!).

Cheers

4. freeroc

freeroc Active Member

Thanks pupiguy

5. winchesterstoke

Ok, I've had the Zidoo box for a week or so now. I've tried lots of recordings from the Sky box - the picture quality is great, but no sound. Nothing. :-(.

I've tried:
    Encrypted and unencrypted programs.
    I've tried plugging the HDMI in cable after boot up.
    I've tried different HDMI cables.
    I've tried using a HDMI switch that removes (I think) HDCP (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B006KZBC92?ref_=pe_1909131_77697001_tnp_email_TE_AMZLdp_1) which was references elsewhere on this board for these problem.

All without success! I get the sound played by the Zidoo box through the TV fine, but nothing on the recording.

Any help really appreciated!

6. warren_wh

warren_wh Active Member Staff Member Zidoo TECH Supporter

Do you have a microphone and other devices through the USB connection, try to connect only in HDMIIN recording.

7. winchesterstoke

I have a USB stick (for recording to) and an air mouse. Do I need to remove these?

8. winchesterstoke

OK, tried removing all the things in the USB ports and now I get sound! Thanks!

Tried a second test - with just the USB stick in the USB 3.0 port - and did a couple of records to it. The recordings had sound - but there seemed to be lots of interference on the sound?

Are the bugs that causes problems with the sound when the USB ports are in use being fixed?

Thought I'd also try recording to the a microSD card - but when I push in the card it doesn't click in? Is this correct?

Thanks!