Multiple PCM (5.1) over HDMI

Discussion in 'ZIDOO X9S' started by costasear, Jun 5, 2017.

1. costasear

costasear New Member

In 9s official page (x9s specs) it is stated that it can both decode and passthrough:

"Support HD audio(7.1ch) decode and passthrough"

From here:
    https://www.zidoo.tv/Product/spec/model/X9S/target/rRwtRFydZ4xKKmVViAFMcQ==.html

Passthrough means RAW, or bitstream. When audio is in RAW or bitstream format, then the av-amp processor performs the decoding of the various Dolby formats.

Audio decode means to convert a bitstream Dolby audio format to PCM audio. In this case, the media player performs the decoding of the various Dolby formats, and not the av-amp processor. In this case, the av-amp processor will not recognize any Dolby format, but will play the PCM streams provided by the media player.

This is quite common, even in old media players for various (old) Dolby formats.

You have 2 options to choose from, either 2 channel PCM Audio, or multiple PCM streams of audio, quite common for 5.1 audio streams (Dolby DTS).

So, for a 5.1 channel Dolby DTS movie, if you choose multiple PCM over HDMI, then the av-amp processor will receive 5.1 channels of audio, without the "Dolby DTS" labeling, it's decoded to PCM streams.

Indeed, there are settings in Zidoo x9s for 5.1 multiple PCM output for audio.

IMG_20170605_173157.jpg
    So, there are the 2 choices, LPCM 2 Channel (downmix) and LPCM Multi-Channel.

IMG_20170605_173241.jpg
    They are also in the audio settings tab.

IMG_20170605_173258.jpg
    Android audio settings.

IMG_20170605_173349.jpg
    Also in the player! Android, PCM, and the number of channels you choose, varying from 2 channel downmix, to 7.1 channels:

IMG_20170605_173423.jpg

No of channels, obviously not supported by passthrough, only in multiple PCM output, as stated.

IMG_20170605_173438.jpg

Yes, PCM, not RAW, not passthrough.

I did not choose 2 channel PCM output, I have chosen 5.1 multi PCM output, and all I get is 2 channel PCM, as if I have chosen 2 channel PCM downmix.

This is a bug.

When will you fix this?

I need for all movie's, for all Dolby formats, just a plain and simple 5.1 PCM output over HDMI.

And I do not need 2 channel PCM downmix.

For now, despite the 5.1 options in Zidoo x9s settings, this Media player outputs only 2 channels of PCM audio, for every known Dolby.

This is just a bug.

Please let me know when you will fix this bug, or if there's anything else I can do to solve the problem.

The settings are there, but they don't work. Only 2 channel PCM downmix is working.

2. Chris77

Chris77 New Member

This annoying bug is EXACTLY what I reported some weeks ago here: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/how-to-decode-dts-ma-truehd-to-7-1-lpcm-hdmi-output.4908/
    But what is even more annoying is that Zidoo has not replied to this in any appropriate way: Instead of confirming the bug the support team suggested settings for a 5.1-Downmix (to lossy dts core), which is absolutely inacceptable.

@zidoo Team:

PLEASE FINALLY REPLY & CONFIRM WHETHER THIS IS A KNOWN BUG AND IF A FIX CAN BE EXPECTED WITH NEXT FW !

Thank you!

Chris

3. costasear

costasear New Member

There is no such thing working at Zidoo x9s HDMI output.

When LPCM is selected, then only 2.0 downmix is working. I tried all the combinations of the available settings.

Definitions:

Screenshot_20170605-210722.png

How things should work:

Screenshot_20170605-211026.png

In coaxial/optical digital audio output, it is expected to work always at LPCM 2.0, but not in HDMI output.

When LPCM is chosen, Zidoo x9s is working at HDMI output at the same way as coaxial/optical digital audio output is expected to work. This is the bug.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  4. Chris77

Chris77 New Member

Sorry for not being more detailed on this. Please have a look at Zidoo's reply in the thread I started. In short: they suggested setting Audio-output to RAW and then setting Downmix HD-audio option "5.1 downmix". This results - of course- not in any LPCM output. Instead it extracts the lowres 5.1 dts core and outputs it as Bitstream over HDMI/Toslink. Since one completely looses the HD audio part with this settings, this is absolutely no solution.

regards

Chris

costasear likes this.
  5. costasear

costasear New Member

5.1 downmix for bitstream output has nothing to do with multiple PCM output over HDMI.

I am confident that the pdf screenshots that I uploaded to my previous post ("Definitions" and "How things should work") are quite clear for spotting the problem in Zidoo x9s multiple PCM output over HDMI.

So, we are just waiting for some answers here, and the responsible stuff in Zidoo should try to solve the bug.

6. costasear

costasear New Member

In my setup, the HDMI output of Zidoo x9s is connected to Arvus HDMI to AES/EBU converter.

From Arvus output, I have 4 AES/EBU cables (8 channels for a maximum of 7.1 channels).

Arvus output is connected to an 8-channel DAC with DSP capabilities (volume, tone control, speaker management).

Also, there's an HDMI output from Arvus, which is a simple bypass, to feed the video projector.

Arvus can accept only PCM streams, of any bitrate, and not bitstream, which means that the media player must perform the decoding, as explained in "Definitions".

So, I need multiple PCM streams over HDMI.

This setting exactly:

[​IMG]

7. costasear

costasear New Member

A $40 simple board like the Raspberry Pi 3, is able to decode 7.1 channels of any Dolby bitstream to 7.1 PCM streams over HDMI, just by using the Kodi player.
    The only restriction of the much cheaper Raspberry Pi 3, is the maximum bitrate of the PCM streams, which is up to 24/96.

Zidoo x9s, stated as "the best media player", should be able to do better than the cheap Raspberry Pi 3 board..

8. Chris77

Chris77 New Member

Exactly! Remember: that was not my idea, this was Zidoo's official advice!? I told them it got nothing to do with LPCM a couple of weeks ago and nobody replied since...so I would be really pleased if they finally confirm this annoying bug and commit to fixing this some time soon.
    regards
    Chris

costasear likes this.