why are the forums not in https?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by Trebz, Apr 29, 2024.

1. Trebz

Trebz New Member

Quick question for the moderators of this forum.

Maybe this is something to do with Safari on MacOS, but I am constantly getting the alert that this forum is not secure, which means we are passing our password unencrypted when we log in.

As I write this post, it shows "Not Secure - forum.zidoo.tv" in the address bar.

Luckily I use a password manager, so this userID and password are not used anywhere else, but can you fix this? Everything on the internet should be https vs http.

Michael A. and Frostb!te like this.
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Good question.

Not a clue ;)

3. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

Have you ever tried to use the Sofabaton forum?
    That's not HTTPS and you need to manually address to port 8091!

4. Markswift2003

Nope, not seen that. Maybe they don't like visitors...

5. Faceman2k24

They're an odd company that's for sure. though it does seem like they've finally figured out how to make a remote that doesn't make me want to bash my own head in with the thing.

Pete B likes this.
  6. Markswift2003

Ive heard of them but never used their products - I assume they're trying to take the Logitech mantle?

I've been a Crestron programmer and user for many years (decades in fact!) and honestly nothing comes anywhere close.

7. Faceman2k24

They aren't quite at the Harmony elite level, but they have 90% of the features needed for most people (including lighting/curtains/screen control) and after years of mediocre buggy crap they finally have a half decent remote with the X1S.

I was an RTI programmer for years, now I do more DIY level custom integrations with things like Nodered and homeassistant and custom controller electronics as a side hobby, and I do custom programming on those cheap One-For-All remotes to make them do things they were never made to do, which is fun.
    Nice to have a $15 "Single Device" universal remote firing off complex macros with multi device switching and control and custom IR pronto codes. I use them in every room except the main theatre controlling sources from an 8x8 matrix, only downside with those cheap ones is you need to use something like the colour buttons or shift+numpad for source selection and device switching, but they work like a dream and the batteries last for years.

8. Frostb!te

Frostb!te Member

Their SSL certificate, issued on the 11th of April is specifically bound to zidoo.tv. They didn't create a wildcard certificate to include all subdomains or at least a certificate for the forum subdomain.
    Seems like it's cheaper more than 1500$ per year.