Subwoofer Integration DMP-A8

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A8' started by TheGovnah, Dec 13, 2023.

1. TheGovnah

TheGovnah Member

Curious how users of the A8 are integrating a subwoofer using the A8 as a preamp and assigning HPF to mains and LPF to the subwoofer. Reading the documentation, you can only assign DSP to inputs and not outputs unless I am confused. I would like to apply HPF to the mains and LPF to the subwoofer or just send full range to the subwoofer and apply the LPF x-over on the subwoofer. I am currently using a Parasound P6 as a preamp and I am able to apply x-overs accordingly, HPF to mains and LPF to the subwoofer.

I assumed I could assign HPF to the XLRs (mains) and LPF to the RCAs (subwoofer), but I was mistaken.

Thanks

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

With an active sub (like most are) one with pass-through, or even HPF to the mains should fit your need: A8 => sub (ste LPF for itself, HPF for speakers) => L/R
    I use a Presonus S10 this way, on balanced inputs and outputs towards the L/R; LP itself at 80Hz and HP 80Hz to the speakers.

Vladislav mavraganis likes this.
  3. TheGovnah

TheGovnah Member

I have a REL subwoofer, and I don't think it has any outputs, just inputs. I was hoping to decom the Parasound, so I may look into purchasing another subwoofer and move the REL to my office.

4. JMD

JMD New Member

Why not run the REL via speaker level inputs as it's intended to do? That way you can high pass the mains via the A8 and low pass the REL with it's crossover.

5. TheGovnah

TheGovnah Member

I just purchased the REL (T/7x) and the A8 and I am reading up on doing what you suggested as I am not familiar with either, thanks for the feedback.

6. JMD

JMD New Member

What amp are you using.

7. TheGovnah

TheGovnah Member

A 2-channel Bryston via XLR. Where I am a little sideways, if I set the A8's HPF to 80 and the LPF to 80 on one of the inputs (internal), how does that work on the XLR output. Having a hard time getting my head wrapped around how the DSP functions on the A8. As I said earlier, I am currently using a Parasound P6 and I can set the HPF and LPF on the appropriate outputs...

8. JMD

JMD New Member

Set up the REL via the speaker outputs on the Bryston as shown in the manual with the supplied cables. Depending on you main speakers set the high pass filter for the XLR outputs to an appropriate level to start. lets say 80hz as a starting point. Then play music with acoustic bass and adjust the LP filter on the REL until you don't get an abundance of overlap between the two. Doesn't mean the HP and LP will be set exactly the same in the end but you can do so for a starting point. It will take some experimentation and listening to get it right. An album the Vandersteen dealers use to set up their speakers and subs with the mains High Passed is Ray Brown's "Soular Energy." This type of music whether it is your preferred style or not makes it easier to pick up on the overlap and bass bloat if you get it wrong. Remember the crossover points on both ends are not exact as there is a gradual roll off from the set point. It's not going to be a set it and forget it process but will take some time and patience.

TheGovnah likes this.
  9. Frans Keylard

Frans Keylard New Member

Running a REL off my B speaker outputs on my Receiver. Simple. Good!

Attached Files:

Vladislav mavraganis likes this.
  10. Ηallo my friend....can we have some fotos from your A8 set up?i mean with the configuration for your sub!

11. Frans Keylard

Frans Keylard New Member

I attached a photo

12. Frans Keylard

Frans Keylard New Member

Look at the black, red and yellow wires on the B terminal. That’s how you connect a REL sub. Genius solution really.

Attached Files:

13. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Cool.
    If I were you, though, I'd keep the peeled end of the wire shorter, having the insulation touch the plastic terminal of the amp...
    Also, those red-black-yellow wires look tiny to me compared to the other speaker wires. If it sounds good, though, let it be.

14. Frans Keylard

Frans Keylard New Member

Great point, forgot to do that. Easy fix.

Nutul likes this.
  15. Damian10

Damian10 New Member

Greetings to all - first time in forum, a few days owner an A8, and ...question No 1:
    I have a sub SVS 3000 micro, can to connect it with A8 and how? My amplifier (Leben cs600x) not allowed a sub's connection! See the photo, back side of sub, and explain to me anything.
    0838221001617274266.jpg

16. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Looking at the sub... I'd go with the A8's RCA out in the SUB's RCA in, and then from the SUB's RCA out into your amp for the L/R speakers.
    Possibli, on the SUB, set its Low pass filter to something like 80Hz (so it keeps everything at, or lower than that) and possibly also its High pass filter (if any, or separated, so thet your L/R do not mess with lows too much, and they also do not overlap).
    I use active sub and monitors in my setup, and have it done this way. With your sub it's the easiest and cleanest way of doing it, IMO.

You may as well need to adjust its volume/gain/sensitivity accordingly, in order not to have it at a louder volume than the L/R of course. Some fine tuning trial/error; 20 minutes and you are well to go.

Damian10 likes this.
  17. Boudy

Boudy New Member

If you are using the sub to high pass the mains, and the sub is performing A/D and D/A in the process, aren't you likely negating the benefits of the A8's DAC?

If the sub is performing the high pass filtering with an analog circuit it still may adversely affect sound quality.

Subs are built to a price point like everything else.

Personally I'd prefer to keep the signal paths simple and clean. Its a bummer that the A8 does not have a subwoofer output. Maybe the A10 will have it? ;-)

18. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

The SUB can perform hi/lo pass in the analog domain... actually they almost always do so.
    I don't know of many subs doing ADC -> filters -> DAC

19. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

I have some old B&W ASW600 subwoofers used in my cinema setup (2nd home). These still have build-in speaker level High Pass filters at 150 Hz.
    Use a dedicated setup using 2 of these and a pair of B&W 685 speakers for mid/high range. The speakers are simply put on top of those woofers.
    The setup sounds amazing well and yes adding that second woofer improved the total sound. Was doing this before using a single sub.

Bioscoop Bolivia.jpg

You obviously also can configure the AMP itself to drive the subs for low frequencies but this sounds better to me and allows me to use Direct Output on the AMP which is great using external DAC's with Analog input to that AMP.

In this case my Zidoo UHD3000 is used as the Music Player and Video is projected with my Epson. The AMP is an Onkyo TX-NR777 amplifier running in 5.2.1 setup.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2024
    Nutul likes this.
  20. catastrofe

catastrofe New Member

Similar interest here. I run dual Rythmik F12SEs, which do not have a pass through.
    I could run 4 outputs full range, 2 to the subs and 2 to the L/R allowing the subs to perform their own LP filtering.

Is there any way to avoid sending full range to the L/R without using some type of external DSP processing (which basically negates some of the benefits of the A8).

Frankly, it makes no sense that Eversolo would build the DSP (particularly the HP and LP filters) into the inputs and not the outputs.