Can I output MKV Dolby Vision via HDR10 or HDR10+ on my Samsung OLED TV (SC90)?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by lkhlee, Apr 17, 2024.

1. lkhlee

lkhlee New Member

I recently purchased a Samsung OLED TV SC90.
    It hasn't been delivered yet, but I'm getting a lot of information.
    My question is how to output Dolby Vision data from MKV REMUX file extracted from MAKEMKV to Samsung TV's HDR10 or HDR10+ via conversion or mapping

The TV I had before I bought this TV was an LG C2 OLED TV, so I had no problem using the HDR setting to AUTO.

If I get a Samsung SC90, can I just leave it on AUTO and use the Dolby Vision data?
    Or do I need to set it to VS10 (OUTPUT HDR) or VS10 (OUTPUT DV) to use the Dolby Vision data without using the HDR data in the MKV file?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

When you get the Samsung you won't have the option to output DV with VS10 because it's not a DV display. I'd leave on Auto.

If you really want the DV info processed into HDR10 then you have to use VS10 (Output HDR) but that means SDR gets processed through VS10 and you'll also lose HDR10+.

If you want to go the full hog and get true Dolby Vision on the Samsung then get an HDFury Vertex2 (or above) and you can then use a DV EDID to fool the Zidoo into spitting out LLDV and send the Samsung an HDR message to fool it into its HDR mode. You can match the nits in the Dolby Block to that in the HDR message and this gives true Dolby Vision on a Samsung display, matched to the capabilities of the Samsung in the same way any other LLDV display works.

vddan likes this.
  3. lkhlee

lkhlee New Member

Thank you.
    If I were to buy a TV for the sole purpose of watching movies through zidoo, I think it would be wise to buy an LG TV with Dolby Vision support.

4. DaMacFunkin

DaMacFunkin Active Member

Or a Panasonic which supports all the HDR formats?

5. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I recommend SONY - plays everything.

6. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Sony don't do HDR10+, the only displays I know that do DV and HDR10+ are Panasonic and Philips

dr4go and xskip like this.
  7. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Active Member

And TCL and Hisense and a lot of the other smaller brands.

I suspect Dolby are the reason Sony don't offer HDR10+, likely get a discount on the licence for not supporting the competition.