Alive one second and dead the next

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Chris White, Apr 13, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Last weekend I was enjoying listening to an album being streamed from Apple Music when unexpectedly the screen went black and the music stopped. After much fiddling about with it, including trying the reset button on the back, I could not get my A6 to power on again and so I got in contact with Eversolo.de where I bought it from in Sep last year. They asked me to send it back to them for evaluation so hopefully they will be able to determine the problem quickly so I can return to enjoying streamed music again!

Has anyone else had a similar problem to mine? I didn't open it up to check but there was no tell-tell smell of burnt electronics when I removed the SSD. It's like the power supply failed but I will need to wait for the A6 to be evaluated to be sure.

Cheers, Chris W.

2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

It is very easy to measure the PSU/fuse but if you have warranty going for a swap is the way to go.

3. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Well I was excited to get my DMP-A6 back today, but I’ve had an unusual hiccup. It was factory reset before being put back in the box which shouldn’t be a problem, but this meant I needed to reconnect it to my wifi. As soon as I did this, I got an error message with the title of Activation Information that has a status of “Illegal Authorized (4)”. The distributor is looking into it, but I wasn’t aware that these devices needed to be activated on first network connection.

Hopefully it is as simple as adding the MAC address of my unit to some database somewhere and it will fix itself. It’s something to keep in mind for the future though before doing a factory reset as the DMP-A6 is useless until activation can be completed.

I’ll post an update when the problem is resolved.

Cheers, Chris W.

4. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Active Member

Did you get your original unit back or a replacement unit?
    If the original the MAC address of the wi-fi should not have changed unless they changed something associated with the wi-fi module.
    MAC addresses are unique for every network device on your network. So your DMP-A6 will have two MAC addresses. One for the wired ethernet port and one for the wi-fi.

If you are currently connected to a network you can see your IP address and MAC address this way -
    HOME Screen ---> Settings ----> About. This will tell your MAC address and your current IP address as assigned by your router.

The details will be displayed in the top right of the screen under Device name. e.g. something like this (example only) -
    Device name
    DMP-A6
    IP : 10.0.0.27
    MAC : 80:0c:80:1a:ac

To ensure your router provides an IP address (assuming you aren't using a fixed IP)
    HOME Screen ---> Settings ----> Network ----> WIFI
    Ensure the on-screen slide switch for WIFI is set to ON.
    Ensure DHCP is ON on your DMP-A6.
    Select a Wi-Fi network. A new window will open prompting you for your Wi-Fi password.
    Enter your password and tap on OK.
    Tap on the selected WIFI network.
    A new dialogue box will open with that wi-fi network name. Tap on Connect.
    Once you are successfully connected a "tick icon" will appear next to the wi-fi network name on the list.
    To see your IP and MAC addresses, navigate back to the About screen.

Just remember that if you plug an ethernet cable into the ethernet port on the back of your DMP-A6 this will automatically disconnect your wi-fi connection to the DMP-A6.

Check your router's tables to ensure you don't have a specific MAC address blocked. Ensure the wi-fi MAC address of your DMP-A6 is on the "white list" if you are using MAC address filtering.

5. Chris White

Chris White New Member

Thanks Alan, but unfortunately it was not a network problem. The problem is, is that the software was unlicensed (guessing the key was wiped with a factory reset) and so no software including Settings would work. I could see the menu software trying to start up and then crashing before the error above appeared. No icons even showed up to tap on.

The goods news is that following contact with the server team the MAC address I supplied was added to a white list at their end. Once this was done I just needed to restart it and everything worked as normal once the DMP-A6 contacted the servers for authorisation.

So everything is working fine now, but the potential for authorisation problems is something to keep in mind should you ever want to factory wipe the DMP-A6. It makes sense that Zidoo would want to prevent other people from using their software, but it does mean that when there is a problem with authorisation the DMP-A6 (and presumably the other devices) becomes a paper weight.

Cheers, Chris W.

The Moog, Jjb067 and Alan Rutlidge like this.