Plex client for Zidoo devices - ZidooPlexMod

Discussion in 'Plex for Zidoo' started by bowlingbeeg, Dec 31, 2023.

Tags:
  1. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Member

What is the path shown in plex (go to more info on any file), and what is the path if you (for example) go to HT4, map one small series folder (just for testing) and go to info on an episode, it will look like smb://192.168.bla.bla/media/bla/etc..

We just need to make these two directory mappings line up.

Just for example, my working config file looks like this:

{
    "auto_play": false,
    "debug": true,
    "exclude_libraries": "",
    "libraries": "*",
    "path_to_replace": "/Media/,/MediaFast/",
    "replaced_with": "smb://192.168.10.10/Media/,smb://192.168.10.10/MediaFast/",
    "showTitle": true,
    "useZidooPlayer": true
    }

So in plex on my server I can see a file that shows as /Media/tv shows/seriesname/series1/episode1.mkv for example, and this script will send "smb://192.168.10.10/Media/tv shows/seriesname/series1/episode1.mkv" to the player app, which is where the file is. I have a second share mapped in my example, as I have two main network shares for media (one served by HDDs and one served directly from NVME caching setup)

Technically, since my "path to replace" name and "replaced with" name are the same I might be able to simplify this down to one line replacing everything "/" with just the IP address, but I prefer to map them separately and know they are correct.

The network shares are set up as guest/anonymous access so no password is required.

2. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Member

To use plex on a zidoo you need the real files on a physical network share, not a stream over the web like you are using.

If you want the best box for playing those sources just get a shield pro.

I will add however, since your RD is mapped as X on your PC, you might be able to share that over SMB and have a chance at it working using your PCs ip address in the mapping, but you would be 100% on your own there. basically use the computer to bridge the RD service to your local LAN over SMB.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  3. ein777

ein777 New Member

This got it working for me. Thank you.
    A little disappointed with regard to the subtitles though. I was hoping to switch to this instead of the stock Home Theater from Zidoo because I could no longer download subtitles but the ZidooPlexMod doesn't either. It runs external or embedded subtitles perfectly fine but gives a 'search for subtitles failed' response when attempting to download a new one.

4. ein777

ein777 New Member

Yes it's working now. Thanks. Just a little disappointed I still could not download subtitles same as with the stock Zidoo Home Theater app. I was hoping it would use Plex to download subtitles from Subtitles.com instead of the Zidoo API call.

5. bowlingbeeg

bowlingbeeg Active Member

The latest beta firmware for the Z9X and Z9X Pro are supposed to work with the new subtitle API. Have you installed that firmware? I know users have complained that the beta doesn't provide much details on the different subtitles available for download but it does allow for you to download. Your other option is to manually download the subtitles outside of the Zidoo and place them next to the video file.

ein777 likes this.
  6. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Member

Perhaps look at adding Bazarr to your *arr stack, it will scan through your media and add subtitles to anything missing either embedded subs or external subs based on your rules and preferred sources. It's not perfect (no automatic tool is) but its very good at filling gaps in my library and I only have to manually add files once every couple of months.

ein777 likes this.
  7. Joe C

Joe C Member

Finally figured it out! If you have a username and password for SMB, don't use a very complex password with special characters!

All up and running, very happy now

8. ein777

ein777 New Member

Are you referring to the v6.4.65 firmware? I dont know why Zidoo doesn't let me download the new Beta firmware via OTA in the Z9X. Guess I'll have to do it manually.

Will look into that. Thanks.

9. bowlingbeeg

Yes, I believe v 6.4.65 is supposed to have fixed the subtitle download issues when the API changed. Zidoo doesn't seem use the OTA very often so you almost always have to do the manual updates.

ein777 likes this.
  10. Emile

Emile New Member

oké thanks for all the help. I’m going to try.

11. Emile

Emile New Member

yes I tried, but I don’t think I can share the x folder of RD. How do I connect the smb to my windows pc?

12. Emile

Emile New Member

It’s working but the only real issue I have is that it stutters with really high bitrates. Any idea about that?

13. Faceman2k24

Faceman2k24 Member

I've successfully tested 250mbit files from my local server and they played just fine, so I suspect it's just the limitations of the dodgy service you are getting your media from.

Download a file to a local disk and try playing it that way.

14. bowlingbeeg

Unfortunately stuttering is outside my control because once I hand the file off to the Zidoo player it's in control of playing the file. Things that usually cause stuttering are network issues or mismatching frame rate.

15. bowlingbeeg

I'm heading out of town on vacation today so I won't be responding for the next week. Hopefully others on the forum can help answer questions while I'm out.

16. limitz

limitz Member

No issues with stuttering for any of my remuxes. Use a wired connection if you haven't already.

17. Wilbur1

Wilbur1 New Member

Hey, loving this so far, however Im finding none of my library artwork is appearing. Which is strange, any ideas on how to fix? All of them have no thumbnails etc

18. bowlingbeeg

Most likely a DNS rebind issue. Check out the first post in the PM4K(the parent project ZidooPlexMod is forked from) thread for some suggestions on how to fix it. https://forums.plex.tv/t/pm4k-plexmod-for-kodi-18-19-20-21/481208

19. Wilbur1

Wilbur1 New Member

I've fixed artwork, however new issue. 4k files dont seem to play well. They skip/stutter often, however when played directly in the native zidoo player they work fine. Its only when playing through plex issues occur. What could possibly be causing this? its very strange because playing movies natively is fine.

NFS, wired connection. It cant be a file issue because they play fine without plex. Only seems to be high bitrate files

edit: fixed I think, however I’m getting some
    Files that fail to open via plex to Zidoo but open fine in native player. Error is “Failed to start Zidoo player” this error only seems to occur for anime. Could it be a file name issue? The weird thing is is that it plays in the player

Last edited: Mar 23, 2024
  20. bowlingbeeg

NFS isn't really supported so I'm not surprised. I know in my limited testing I had to open the file in the media center app and then try and play it though ZidooPlexMod and it seemed to work. But others had problems doing that same thing. The interface to the native zidoo player isn't very good and doesn't handle NFS automatically but it does handle SMB so you'll have the best experience using SMB.