How to connect with avr ??

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Jorge1576, Mar 6, 2024.

1. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

Hello, i have my new Eversolo dmp a6 and i want to connect it with my denon avr..
    Which is better connection? Hdmi, rca or optical? Can i connect it with 2 connections simultaneously?? Hdmi and rca both? How to get the best sound ?
    Thank you all

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  2. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

The best is HDMI (for MCH) plus RCA (for 2CH). Unfortunately both don't give output simultaneously and must be changed each time.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2024
  3. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

Simultaneously i mean to just have them connected to avr and streamer, (not give output sound same time) and decide from which of them to play sound from the streamer to avr..I want to know if there will be any malfunction from the avr or streamer, if i have 2 connections installed
    And something else..how to get dsd 512 and pcm 768khz 32bit ? Hdmi or even rca connection doesn't support them..do i have to connect Eversolo to Denon avr with usb audio output?

Florin likes this.
  4. RolandG

RolandG Member

Here's what I have done in pretty much the same situation:

HDMI out from A6 to Denon AVR (e.g. the HDMI input named "DVD"). RCA out from A6 to Denon AVR ( the RCA input also named "DVD").

Then, in the AVR settings, set the "DVD" input to both HDMI and RCA. That way, you only have to change the output in the A6 and not the input in the AVR.

To play DSD512 and 32/768 PCM, you have to use the DAC in the A6. So RCA out to the AVR.

JtagPabb1e and Jorge1576 like this.
  5. Alan Rutlidge

Alan Rutlidge Well-Known Member

To give you a more comprehensive answer it would be useful to know which model of Denon AVR you have. Different capabilities exist between the different models. Also, do you use the Audyssey EQ facility in your AVR?

6. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

I have the Denon X4500. I use the Audyssey to listen stereo but there is the pure direct option too.

7. Alan Rutlidge

Possibly the best and most flexible connection (depending on what you play e.g. just stereo, multi-channel, PCM, flac, DSD, SACD ISO files etc) is one of the HDMI inputs on your Denon receiver. One connection will support playback in the digital domain of just about anything the DMP-A6 can output. The HDMI connection supports multi-channel PCM and DSD which aren't supported by any of the other inputs on the Denon.
    Whilst DTS and PCM digital signals are supported by the S/PDIF coaxial and TosLink (optical) digital inputs on the Denon these inputs do not support DSD.

The stereo analogue inputs to your Denon AVR are IMHO the poorest choice of inputs as the original files you will be playing back from the DMP-A6 will be undergoing multiple digital to analogue, analogue to digital, then digital to analogue conversions before you actually get to hear the music. The latter two conversions taking place within the receiver. Every time the signal gets converted from digital to analogue or vice versa it develops a bit of quantising distortion which is heard as noise. The more conversions the worse the noise and distortion becomes evident. In addition the A-D convertors in the Denon (as in most receivers) are IMHO pretty mediocre as they are only there for the audio connection to legacy gear that has no digital outputs. The exception would be if you connected the analogue (RCA) outputs of your DMP-A6 to the multi-channel 7.1 analogue inputs of the Denon AVR as these AFAIK don't undergo any analogue to digital processing within the receiver (from what I've read and lead to believe *). * I don't currently have a copy of the service manual to confirm this so I'm only commenting based on the expertise of others who have apparently looked into this.

In conclusion: If you only playback or stream audio that doesn't exceed 24 bit /192kHz PCM or DSD64 you're probably going to find the HDMI connection the best sound quality, the easiest to use as the AVR does all the decoding and the least "messy" in terms of having to switch back and forth between outputs on your DMP-A6 and the inputs on your receiver. Now just for clarity; if you opt to connect your DMP-A6 to your Denon's analogue multi-channel 7.1 inputs you will lose the functionality of Audyssey room correction and EQ as this input bypasses these facilities within the AVR. So basically, it's a personal choice as to how you want your system to function and what you perceive to provide you with the most satisfying listening experience. In my setup which has a DMP-A6 and a Denon AVC, I use the HDMI connection exclusively because it suits all the music formats I playback from my DMP-A6. These are everything from MP3 :eek: to flac (2ch and 5.1), DTS, PCM both 2ch and multi-channel) up to 24 bit / 192kHz through to DSD64 2ch and multichannel and SACD ISO files. If you have PCM (WAV) files that have a higher sampling frequency than 192kHz or 2ch DSD files greater than DSD64 then the analogue outputs of your DMP-A6 using its own internal DAC is the only option if you wish to experience these to be decoded from their native format.

I encourage you to experiment to discover what sounds the best to your ears. It's your listening pleasure that counts not the opinion of others. All we can do is make suggestions and provide limited guidance. I encourage you to study the user manual for your Denon AVR to discover what the receiver is able to do and take it from there.

dbundi, Jorge1576 and _Richard_ like this.
  8. RolandG

RolandG Member

Is that really true when not using Audyssey or using Pure Direct? I don’t think there are multiple conversions in these cases.

_Richard_ likes this.
  9. Alan Rutlidge

You might very well be correct my learned friend. I will need to get a copy of the service manual to verify this. The user manual is somewhat vague about this. The only part of the user manual that is clear is if you use the multi-channel 7.1 analogue inputs that this is a direct unconverted path from that particular input to the speakers in the analogue domain. If the OP wants to use Audyssey, the tone controls, dynamic EQ etc, then I would doubt Denon would attempt to do this in the analogue domain, but of course I might be wrong on this latter point. Perhaps someone with the SM might want to PM me with a copy.

_Richard_ and RolandG like this.
  10. RolandG

RolandG Member

I am somewhat confused. Like @Jorge1576, I have the Denon X4500H. That model doesn’t have 7.1 analogue inputs.

[​IMG]
    Denon AVR-X4500H (Foto: R. Vogt)

11. Alan Rutlidge

Oops, my bad. :oops: I had the PDF handbook for the X8500HA open which was part of discussion earlier this week, with the X5400H in the background and lost track at which model I was looking at. How embarrassing. :(

I was looking at this unit by mistake (connection cluster 6). I'll now go back to sleep...... zzZZzzzZZZzzzzz....

Denon AVR-X8500HA_rear-panel.jpg

RolandG likes this.
  12. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

I have installed my Eversolo with hdmi and rca finally.. Everything is fine..
    I just want to ask..when you hear music, is there any interface on the tv so to see the music that plays on time?..i have only a blue screen..

13. RolandG

RolandG Member

No video signal is sent, so none can be displayed.

Alan Rutlidge likes this.
  14. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

You could Cast from your A6 to a tablet or phone and then cast from there to your TV. I have done this with Samsung android tablet and TV, other posters have also done similar with iOS devices.

Jorge1576 likes this.
  15. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

I want to connect an external hard drive..in what format it should be? exfat or ntfs ?

16. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Can be either, I use exFat with no problems to report.

Bill Mac and Jorge1576 like this.
  17. Jorge1576

Jorge1576 New Member

I try to connect a usb disk drive ( external) on "usb in" of Eversolo with an extension usb cable, but it doesnt see it..If i connect straight on it, it reads it..Cant you connect extension cable usb ???Its difficult to find the usb in port every time you want to use an extrnal disk drive.

18. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

I use a USB3 powered hub which connects into the top OTG port on the A6, the cable is about a metre long. I then connect up to four devices into this hub with no problems, this alleviates any excessive power draw on the A6. If you go very long on usb cabling, then you can have issues and require active repeater style cables. But it doesn't seem you are in that territory. Try other extension cables, maybe there is an issue with the one you tried ? If still having issues, then try the powered hub route in case it is a power issue, does your external drive pull a lot of current ? Also ensure the OTG Setting on the A6 is not set to PC mode, but external storage.

Jorge1576 likes this.
  19. GeNeRiKz

GeNeRiKz Member

I had the same experience for the same constraints.

Finding the USB IN port on the back inside the rack was not easy so I added a 1m USB extension and... it powered on but didn't read.
    It kept power cycling on repeatedly.

The same configuration to my OPPO 205 to extend the USB port works fine.

So there is something with the DMP-A6 that prevents to add basic USB extension cable?
    Must be a certified USB 3.0 cable?

20. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Was the extension cable an OTG style cable like male A on one end and female A on the other end or were some adapters/gender changers used ?