WAV To Flac File Conversion

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Gil Fuhrer, Feb 23, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Gil Fuhrer

Gil Fuhrer Member

Well, I just ran some tests with dBpoweramp and that is really nice.

@Nutul, I am talking about maybe 30 cassette based albums that were originally recorded on a Nakamichi almost 40 years ago. I had since transferred them to my computer via another Nakamichi cassette deck I acquired on eBay.

I now understand something else: I transferred those tapes over as 44.1kHz/16bit, so that is the resolution I'm going to get from the WAV file.

No worry...I just went for a complete lossless transfer. The files were small enough, I'm not worried about space.

@maddib and @Monkey3017, dBpoweramp is sweet!! Easy conversion and I love the metatag editor. Especially as it can find the album art from Discogs.

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am well on my way...

I love the DMP-A6 and all that it can do.

2. _Richard_

_Richard_ Active Member

Loop for Unix:

for i in *.wav; do ffmpeg -i "$i" "${i%.*}.flac"; done

Gil Fuhrer likes this.
  3. audio58

audio58 Active Member

Ya, any CD's I have which I have ripped , I do them on my PC and keep them in .wav format. Or you can go to flac but keep comression as low as possible.

4. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

My I ask the why of that?

FLAC remains lossless regardless the compression used. It only takes more processing (=time) to do maximum compression. The sound remains 100% identical. Don't confuse with MP3 please which is e.g. lossy.

zipe and Nutul like this.
  5. Gil Fuhrer

Gil Fuhrer Member

Thanks for pointing this out, @Nice Monkey.

I actually didn't realize that FLAC was a completely lossless type, regardless of compression.

I was doing these files on an 8 (there really aren't that many of these that I to transfer over to the DMP-A6.)

I also just have these on a 16 GB USB stick at the moment. Getting a 2 TB SSD card for my birthday :)

I love that the USB card can just sit there in the back of the A6 and it all just works.

@Nutul - I love having complete control over the metadata! Some of the metadata you get on the streaming sites is just not real good.

Nutul likes this.