Will HT 4.0 Ignore the brackets [ ] in filenames?

Discussion in 'General - Guides and FAQ' started by 1971camaroguy, Feb 9, 2024.

1. 1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy New Member

If I rename my movie folder from Back to the Future (1985) to Back to the Future (1985) [Science-Fiction]
    Will HT 4.0 ignore whats in the brackets [ ] ?

Just making sure before I rename them lol

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's not part of the code to do so, but the scraper would hopefully pick up the movie from the first part of the string.

I always recommend not adding anything to a filename unless absolutely necessary, but try it with say 10 movies and see how it goes.

Renaming files in this manner (and undoing it) is easy with a program like Bulk Rename:

https://www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk/

3. 1971camaroguy

1971camaroguy New Member

Thanks, I am trying to sort my movies into specfic folders (instead of one large Movies folder) and the only way I can really do it is use filebot to apply the genre and sort them out by seraching for that genre and moving them to the approproate folder. I guess I could go back and remove the genre off the folders with bulk rename like you said, but I was hoping to leave it intact for the sake of sorting and know what I have. I'll give a few a shot and see what happens.

Thanks again!

4. darqman

darqman Member

In my experience (if using MKV's in a folder), the scraper doesn't use the folder name at all, it only uses the file name of the movie inside. I've had the year on the folder, but not on the file name and it didn't match. When I add the year to the file name then it matches.

5. Markswift2003

Sorry - yeah I missed that it was for folders only - the thread title threw me.

For files (like MKV, MP4, AVI, ISO etc) the scraper doesn't care about the folder name.

Folder name is used for BDMV structures.

Out of interest I just tested a dummy library of 200 mkv files and I added a square bracketed suffix to each folder name only and yeah, it worked fine. There were a few unmatched but that was mainly due to missing punctuation in filenames - Porkys instead of Porky's etc - and the usual confusion with numbers - 1408, 1917, 21 etc.

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

That is just weird from my experience. It is the folder name that is paramount in my case. As long as the folder is named exactly as it is in TMDB or IMDB without anything else, then the file name within can have all sorts of other stuff after the file name proper. I only have MKV files, no ISO or BDMV.
    An example I named an old movie Folder = Road to Morocco 1938, the file within was named Road to Morocco (1938)
    The result was HT threw up a totally different movie. When I added the brackets to the date of the folder it instantly found the correct poster and synopsis.

7. Markswift2003

Ok, that's odd and doesn't follow the code...

Certainly HT4 has issues with numbers - it always has, but definitely in the case of file formats, it's the file name that's scraped.

8. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Anyway my movies are consistently named both folder and file. It should bring joy to any OCD and anal retentive!