Some questions about DMP-A6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Nejiro, Jan 24, 2024.

1. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Hi everyone, I'm interested in this product and I wanted to ask you a few things, I saw that there are many streaming services and I wanted to ask you if there are also free internet radios, also the most important thing for me is that I have many dsd files encoded in wavpack(extension .wv) I wonder if eversolo dmp-a6 supports this format.
    Thank you

2. yes, there are free internet radios.
    no idea about the .wv extension

3. Jjb067

Jjb067 Active Member

Yes .wv is one of the file formats listed under Scan File Formats on my A6.

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I wonder why in hell someone decides that DSDs should be embedded in a WavPack container... :rolleyes:

5. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

very good question. Makes no sense. Decompressed DSF next compressed to WavePack?

Nutul likes this.
  6. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Not so, AFAIK... WavPack can contain anything; I have seen them encapsulate ISO rips that were just the contents of a folder containinf FLACS + CUE + IMAGES... so I believe they can contain either the entire DSF file, or its frames. Or maybe DFF files, just to cleanly add metadata support, as per standard, DFF forbids metadata attachment... who knows?!?
    Surely I wouldn't do it...

7. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

It may not make sense to you or maybe you don't know it but the wavpack (wv) container can contain dsd files (both dsf and dff) without data loss and weigh on average 40/50% less.......
    I play them using Foobar2000 connected to a DAC which in turn goes to my system......

8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

WavPack is a container, it is lossless by definition, as it does not alter the data it contains.
    My point was more focused on a hi-speed, high-bandwidth lossless format encapsulated into another container. But for sake of disk space, let's do it.

9. Nice Monkey

My point SACD ISO's are mostly nicely (better than WavePack) compressed using DSF which can be extracted as DFF files if really desired.
    Love the original ISO's in 40% of the discs in 2CH+MCH.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...ther-knowhow-for-hifi-players-playback.86336/
    I know where I am talking about don't doubt that.

WV is common for PCM but definitely not for DSD. The resulting DSF container in a WV container will be very poorly compatible with most platforms and players. But do as you like.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2024
  10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

That was my point too.

11. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I don't doubt your skills, God forbid, I avoid the DFF format a priori because it doesn't support tags, unfortunately I have a lot of dsd files in wavpack and I used this format to save space in my NAS, too bad it's not supported by almost no player because I really like this Eversolo but if I can't play my dsd/wv I can't take it, I would have to convert them all back to the original format and it would be a huge job in addition to the fact that they take up double the space......

12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Indeed, compatibility is the major issue.
    Then unpacking them will require you double space.
    Unpacking them, OTOH, can be done in batch-commands, requiring an average of 3 seconds per file (at least this is my experience with a bunch of them being DSD256). I'd suggest you do, though.
    Provided the packed DSDs are DSF. If they are DFF, further translation time may apply to get them as DSF + metadata... but again, all this can be automated.

P.S.
    DFF files do not support metadata as per their definition of standard. For metadata you have DSF. They are exactly the same; but for standard sake, if you need metadata you use DSF.

13. Nice Monkey

I know programs to decompress DSD for ISO and DFF but never found one that could recompress it that way, seems to be kept a Philips secret.
    It was extremely advanced during the days when it was first introduced for sure.

Would prefer to convert DSF/DFF back to pseudo original ISO for some albums I got via the backdoor.

Nutul likes this.
  14. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

Thanks for the reply, to convert dsf/dff files to wv on windows I use a program called BatchEncoder, how do I do the reverse operation, i.e. bring the wv back to dsf? Before with Ubuntu I used the terminal with a command line that I don't remember now but how do I do it with BatchEncoder on windows?

15. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Ops, I was trying to refer to a Linux thing... you probably used ffmpeg. I believe it is available for Windows too.

16. Nejiro

Nejiro Member

I've seen that I have a lot of dsd files in wavpack and converting them all back to dsf is a huge job but above all I need to increase the space by at least 40%, I don't feel like doing this job, it's a shame that this format isn't supported from no streamer and yet in my opinion having DSD that weigh 40% less is a wonderful thing......I will continue to play my music with foobar (Jriver also supports DSD in wavpack), I could try Eversolo which I think it's an excellent product only for PCM but I don't want to give up DSD.....

17. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I feel it. But it is not a shame that this format is not recognized. It is not, because there are file formats, and players adhere to them. The incapsulation of DSD into WavPack is a possibility offered by WavPack itself, not a standard of any sort; not even from far away...