Z9X issue, overexposed white in SDR with Benq W2000/HT3050

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Maxlam, Jan 25, 2024.

1. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

Hi

I am experiencing a strange issue with the combination of Z9X in combination with the Benq W2000/HT3050
    I am not using any fancy settings like customized EDID and simply let the playback in Auto Mode.
    The issue is that in order not to get the white overexposed, I need to reduce the contrast of the projector to about 30 (from default 50). Also I've got to raise the brightness to 55 in order not to get the black crushed.
    The visual impression is with playback from SDR material but also confirmed using AVS-HD 709 calibration test pattern.

I've also got an Epson 5040UB and it is working perfectly well, with similar setup and test pattern (the deviations to the default value are not so severe).

The Zidoo Z9x is connected through a Denon amplifier to the projectors. It is pure passthrough, no specific colour mode or other special settings.
    Do you know where this issue might come from?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Black level (16) and white level (235) output for the Zidoo in standard Rec.709 SDR is spot on so it's got to be something to do with how the BenQ is calibrated.

If you're using AVS-HD 709 black and white clip patterns, it sounds like you've done the right thing - set Black Level (Brightness) so 16 is just flashing in the Black Clipping (Pluge) pattern and set White Level (Contrast) so 235 is just flashing in the White Clipping pattern.

Once set, these values should only affect Rec.709 SDR input.

You're right though - it is unusual theses days - most displays are pretty well perfect for black/white level out of the box, especially for Rec.709. You're not using some special picture mode on the BenQ are you? (I'm not familiar with them).

3. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

Hi Mark.
    Thanks a lot for your swift :) reply.
    No, the Benq is in natural mode. The gamma settings is at 2.2 but changing it does not have a big influence on the contrast settings. If I lower it, it gets better with regards to the contrast settings that can be set at higher value (closer to standard 50) without crushing.
    There might be something wrong with the PJ. Maybe I will try a factory reset and a new calibration (although I do not want to invest too much time as this is only my replacement PJ).

4. Markswift2003

HDMI range of the BenQ isn't set to Expanded, or Full, or 0-255 is it?

5. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

Very good suggestions.
    Just have seen that the option is not what you would expect, like standard HDMI range 0-255 or 16-235.
    It is to be found in a Setting called black level. This is to adjust the greyscale black level starting point. You can set this to 0 or 7.5, which is basically starting at 0 or 16 :)
    A more confusing settings is humanely not possible.
    I will try it whenever possible. I also assume that the white level will then also be adapted to 235. That is precisely what I am after and what is not clarified herewith...

6. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Why do you assume that something is wrong with your projector? If indeed you are on the correct HDMI range and using a correct test pattern, then to me it seems you are using your adjustment range to set your Contrast and Brightness levels properly. I have found that on my Epson, I also have to set the Contrast lower than default to eliminate blatant white level clipping and I believe my Brightness is turned up a smidge to get the proper black level. My theory is that projectors are inherently default tuned to brighter to compensate for high ambient light situations, but the cost is the loss of details in the Whites due to them being crushed.

7. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

You are right. It is not unusal to have to adjust brithness and contrast level settings, but I've never had to perform such a large correction before.
    While doing this, the output lumen level ist also much affected.
    What I assume is that the HDMI level is currently wrongly set, as per my earlier message.

8. Markswift2003

Wow - haven't heard that in a while - IRE refers to the voltage level of analogue video signal signals, so yes, extremely confusing in a digital device!

A bit like measuring speed in donuts.

9. Maxlam

Maxlam New Member

Well, I have to correct myself.
    There is a setting for HDMI Level. The choice is between signal PC and video. But it was set correctly.
    Resetting the PJ, I have got a choice of Gamma 2.2 and contrast setting now at 40. I will have to try calibration to see what I've got. The adjustment of the setting is a bit abrupt as only one step too much leads to a washed out picture. Might be a limitation of entry level projector after all.
    The IRE field is informative only.