Anybody using minimserver as a UPNP source ?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Andre.Gosselin, Jan 12, 2024.

1. Andre.Gosselin

Andre.Gosselin New Member

Some people reported being able to connect DMP-A6 to the popular minimserver UPNP music server directly from the unit front panel. See the recent DMP-A6 review on AudiophyleStyle

I have minimserver running on a Windows PC, and my DMP-A6 is wired. The only way I found to connect those two is to start BubbleUPnP on an android tablet, and select minimserver as the library and the DMP-A6 as the output device. I tried everything I could to establish a direct connection between the DMP-A6 and minimserver using Streaming > UPNP from APPS on the front panel. All to no avail.
    I must be missing something.
    Any help appreciated.
    André

2. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I may be talking rubbish here but... have you tried installing BubbleUPnP on the A6, and select the very same things?

3. Andre.Gosselin

Thanks for looking in. But I just do not see how to install BubbleUPnP on the DMP-A6. Does not appear in the available apps. Not in the available music connect services either (like RoonReady for ex.)

Connecting the Eversolo to minimserver without the help of an intervening app remains a complete mystery.

Do you think that applying the latest beta could solve the problem ? I normally tend to stay away from beta ...

4. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Have no idea TBH.
    For the app... of course it might not be there... you have to see if it is available in one of the various side-loading app-stores mentioned here in the forum.
    Surely someone can jump in and point you in the right direction.

5. Burki

Burki Member

it should work without problems, like here:
    Screenshot_20240114_170509_EverSolo Controller.jpg

Take a look into your firewall and/or router/switch settings, that upnp isn't disabled here.

6. tora-tora

tora-tora Member

I also have similar issue from time to time. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t. There no such issues with other streamers. At this very moment it works

upload_2024-1-15_1-55-9.png
    to me it is not a big issue as usability of UPnP app in Eversolo is poor. For UPnP I use BubbleUPnP server with Eversolo as a OpenHome renderer. Then you can use Lumin app
    upload_2024-1-15_2-0-10.png
    upload_2024-1-15_2-2-29.png

7. Andre.Gosselin

Thanks so much for your input.
    I really spent a lot of time checking for all the points you mention. But, unfortunately, to no avail. My Eversolo just does not see my UPnP servers, minimserver or MediaMonkey, whereas BubbleUPnP on Android connects to those two without any issue.
    Since I mentionned this issue, I have seen two posts where the Eversolo correctly connected to minimserver. First one is posted in a video by ComputerAudiophile after his his review of the DMP-A6 on the AudioPhile Style forum. Second one is the screenshot you posted here. I do not question the validity of those posts, but they do not represent my experience.

I however note that on both posts, all the UPnP music servers run on a NAS OS, namely QNAP/QNAS. I am not a QNAP/QNAS expert, but can you say that in your case minimserver really runs on a Windows OS ? I would think that the network layer is rather managed by QNAP/QNAS, which could throw in its non-standard secret sauce. Could it be that Eversolo, countrary to BubbleUPnP, does not follow the official UPNP rules, which happen to be those implemented by QNAP ?

Would it be possible for you to run minimserver on a pristine Windows platform, outside any NAS, and post your results ? It would also be really helpful to hear something from the Eversolo team.

Regards,
    André

8. Roberto Wersanie

Roberto Wersanie New Member

Hi,
    same problem in my configuration

EverSolo DMP-A6 : Ethernet connection
    Minimserver on win10 : Ethernet connection
    On the display of DMP-A6 it shows under streaming/UPnP only my UPnP Server on my Router (Fritzbox)

minimserver configuration is ok, because other Mediaplayers (Teac, Ropieee, WiiM pro, Denon) detect minimserver and play
    Minimserver on win11 : Ethernet connection, the same problem (DMP-A6 doesn't detect my minimserver)

I'm using successful "Audionet Remote Control Point (RCP)" as control app on win10 or Android. (playlist management is very flexible :D)
    it streams from minimserver to EverSolo DMP-A6 without problems (including gapless)

BubbleUPnP on Android also streams to DMP-A6

at the moment only the EverSolo App doesn't detect my minimserver. I hope this will be fixed soon.

regards

9. Birdybird123

Birdybird123 New Member

Same problem with openmediavault.
    UPnP does sometimes work sometimes not

10. Burki

Burki Member

Again: Check the configuration of your router and/or (managed) switch.

11. Andre.Gosselin

Could you please confirm on what system is your minimserver running. Is it a NAS (QNAP ?) as your screen shots suggest, or a non-NAS environment (WIN PC, Mac, Linux ?) If BubbleUPnP can detect minimserver (and other UPnP servers like Media.Monkey) on an exactly identical environment where Eversolo fails, it is clearly evident for me that the UPnP control point embedded in the Eversolo (because that's what it is, an embeddes control point) is misbehaving. This is not a firewal/switch/router issue, because then BubbleUPnP control point would fail like the Eversolo does.

It would help if you could run minimserver in a pristine Windows environment, using the Windoes network layer, and report your findings.

Regards,
    A.G.

12. mirror

mirror Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Zidoo TECH Supporter

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
  13. Roberto Wersanie

Serviio DLNA Server v2.3.0 (as music server) on win 10
    MinimServer v2.2 (Starter Edition) on win 10

I deactivated as a test the windows firewall

result:
    DMP-6 cannot find any of my servers (neither in Android App nor on the Touchscreen)

there must be a problem with the DMP-6 UPnP control point Software

regards

14. JamOne

JamOne Active Member

Did you do anything in the Lumin app or in the A6 to select it as renderer? My Lumin app only sees the Auralic Mini

edit: forget it, just reading now that you installed bubbleupnp server :rolleyes:

upload_2024-1-16_16-39-39.png

Last edited: Jan 16, 2024
    tora-tora likes this.
  15. Andre.Gosselin

Yesterday Jan 15 at 10:55 PM (EDT) I got this email following a reply posted on Zidoo forum by user @mirror, in the thread I started about UPnP issues in the current Eversolo software.

Andre.Gosselin, mirror replied to a thread you are watching at Zidoo forum.

Anybody using minimserver as a UPNP source ?
    [​IMG]

We did find an incompatibility with the WINDOWS version of Minimserver and are checking it. If nothing else, the next version will fix it

In this post Eversolo devs clearly admit a problem between Eversolo UPnP implementation and Windows. I was happy to read this acknowledgment from Eversolo team, because it throws light on an a issue which has been going on for a long time.

However, I do not see a confirmation of this email on the DMP-A6 forum. It looks like the original @mirror reply I received as an email has been deleted, and replaced at about the same time (10:55 pm) by a vague suggestion to try a minimserver document which eludes the issue altogether.

Am I wrong here ? Why has'nt the @mirror reply I received as an email copy not shown up on the forum ?

Please someone explain.

Regards,
    André

16. mirror

When I replied to this post, we did find that could not find the MINIMSERVER in our WINDOWS environment, but later we found that it was related to our firewall, so..

We tried it on five WINDOWS PCs without any problems, if we can't reproduce it there's nothing we can do

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  17. Andre.Gosselin

You have got me confused... "You found that it was related to your firewall, so" Excuse me, but so ... what ? How does your answer help me solve the issue ? I made it clear that I am running a standard Win11 firewall , and that BubbleUPnP control point has no problem detecting minimservrer (or MediaMonkey UPnP server) in this same setup. Why can't the embedded Eversolo control point do the same ?

Could you please post how your Windows firewall is configured, exactly ? And how mine should be configured, exactly ?
    Or could we arrange for you to log into my system, so you can have a look at what is wrong here ?
    Please feel free to contact me through a personal message any time.

Regards,
    André Gosselin

18. mirror

We can only try as many Windows PCs as we can until we reproduce the problem you describe, which we do. Beyond that we don't know how to help you.
    BTW:WINDOWS is always a complex issue when it comes to network protocols.

Nutul likes this.
  19. Andre.Gosselin

Possible constructive approaches for you to try to throw some light on this issue.
    - You wrote that "[the problem] was related to our firewall". For me, this means maybe somehat was wrong on your side. Could you please elaborate, and indicate what change, if any have you made ? A post of the current setup you were, and are currently using, would be highly beneficial.
    - Indicate how to generate logs tracing connection requests between the Eversolo control point and minimserver on my system. Eversolo is running on a custom Linux/Android system, so I guess this should possible on the Eversolo side through a custom release. And there must be a way to trace connection requests on Windows side, don't you think so ?
    - Arrange to log on my system for a diagnostics session.

I respect what Eversolo is doing and the products the company is selling. But telling a customer that you do not know how to help him, and that this is seemingly the end of the story is, well ... really disappointing and under par for a company like yours.

I am not the only one who has reported similar connectivity problems, just read the other messages in this thread. I think I and you other customers deserve a somewhat better treatment, to say the least.

BTW bis: Windows network issues may be complex to solve, but Eversolo is the one who engineers the product and I am the one who pays for it ...

Regards,
    André Gosselin

Last edited: Jan 17, 2024
  20. Roberto Wersanie

- in the windows 10 firewall I changed the network type from public to private
    (as described in the minimserver troubleshooting section)

- minimserver restarted

- after some minutes minimserver appears in the UPnP streaming section of the Eversolo DMP-A6 as streaming source

for me it works now as expected

ps:
    Serviio DLNA Server v2.3.0 (as music server) on win 10
    MinimServer v2.2 (Starter Edition) on win 10
    both servers are now visible in the UPnP streaming section of the Eversolo DMP-A6

the change in windows 11 firewall (network type from public to private)
    solves the UPnP problem with minimserver on win 11 exactly the same for me.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2024
    Nutul likes this.