Logitech Media Server Popularity?

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by Path8022, Aug 12, 2023.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Don't know but I'm sure it won't be long - it's very stable.

The Moog and pauldune like this.
  2. EverA8

EverA8 New Member

With a little help from markswift and nutul and some reading here in this forum I was able to establish a connection between my A8, the Logitech Media Server (LMS Vers. 8.3.2) on my NAS and the great iPeng control app of Michaeel Herger on my iPad. Thanks a lot for the help.

I am using LMS and iPeng since the Squeezebox Touch was introduced in the market long time ago.
    Upates aren't an issue over all these years. Well maintenanced products!

Nutul likes this.
  3. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

This is the best advertising LMS could have ever received. Ever.

Path8022 likes this.
  4. Markswift2003

Nearly ;) I've been using LMS since before it was even Squeezebox Server - back in the Slimp3 days when it was Slim Server over 20 years ago.

And it's never missed a beat. Never crashed, never lost its database, never given me a moment's grief. It just works and it's well supported by a thriving community.

It's the most rock solid music server I've ever used - I used to also use Imerge and later Linn Kazoo and still run a Linn DS, but LMS beats them both hands down with its arms tied behind its back.

Nutul likes this.
  5. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Ditto.

Markswift2003 likes this.
  6. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I quite literally have zero idea what you guys are talking about. What does LMS do? What does it do for you? How does it work?

7. Markswift2003

Mike Hanson likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

9. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

10. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Okay, this helps explain it to me a little better. I do have some understanding what ROON does. I've never used it, nor have I even seen pictures of the interface, but I have looked into it some, and heard / read so many people discussing it, that it's hard to ignore entirely.

11. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

I'm just NOT a computer person. You might say I basically hate computers. If I didn't "have" to use them or figure their crap out, I wouldn't. On another front, if the world could go back to before there were smart phones, I'd do it in a heartbeat and never look back. Believe it or not, but there are a lot of people who feel the same.

But since neither of those 2 things will ever happen, I just have to make the best of it. I usually start by figuring out what something is, what it does, and how it works. Then I decide if I "need" it or not. For example, a smart watch? Hahaha. No F'-ing way will I ever have one. Tech for me is only important if it actually does something useful. Most tech is not IMO.

I only say all this just to try and help explain where I'm coming from. I do thank you guys for coming down to my level and attempting to explain this, and help me learn. I do like to learn. So thanks again.

One of the reasons I bought the A6 is in hope that I could just use it like a straight up server device. A place to store my music and play it from there directly. I will never have a NAS if I can help it. In my world, music and stereo systems used to be fun. Now in this computer audio world, the only "fun" part left is the music itself. All the other crap is just that, crap. A bunch of headache. I will argue with anyone that this whole file storage thing and playing stuff is MORE complicated and more of a pain than just playing CDs. For example, I can get any CD up and running on my "turned off" system right now much faster than I can with the A6. But that's just me. I can't argue that the physical storage "space" is easier with file storage, but that's where it ends for me.

Call me a dinosaur all you want. The "new ways" have some advantages yes, but it doesn't mean the old ways suck either. I prefer to have options, and be able to choose which options work for me.

Markswift2003 and Inti like this.
  12. Markswift2003

Lol ;)

Bonzo likes this.
  13. Markswift2003

Honestly never understood why Roon exists.

Pay someone to show you a list of the music you're already paying for? Brilliant :D

14. Bergholdt

Bergholdt Well-Known Member

Well, it’s a bit more than that… :)

Lots of artist info
    Album info
    Band members
    Click on an artist and see all bands that person is in.
    Tour information.
    Info on sound engineer.
    App on Apple TV to show you what’s playing on a big screen.
    Listen to your own music stored at home (while somewhere else in the world - still with all of the above)
    DSP if you use Roon Server
    Playlists across streaming services

and probably a whole lot more.

For those people who ‘don’t just’ listen but also want to know the story behind the music/artist/recording…

Amnesiac and JamOne like this.
  15. Markswift2003

Yeah I know, but hey, it's money for old rope.

But I guess if you've got more money than rope....

Possibly being cynical ;)

16. Fergus

Fergus Active Member

Anybody who is inclined to try LMS using an Android table or phone should give Squeezer a try, it’s free and very good.

17. Bonzo

Bonzo Active Member

Yeah, I know, right! Hahaha! I'm pathetic. But hey, at least I know what I am. :D

18. Purité Audio

Purité Audio Well-Known Member

EQ is comprehensive, multi room as well and easily the most stable playback software I have used.
    Keith

19. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Nah, you are not. Music is a different thing; all the bells and whistles brought in by the various services, in the end, could never substitute the intimacy of you + a single malt + your music playing.
    Computers are for commodity; if you can do without them, then good. I cannot, as I work in IT... but try to not give them too much power when it comes to deal with MY music. ;-)

20. Vinnie

Vinnie Member

I’ve never used LMS but have a basic understanding of how it works and it’s got me wondering if it could be used as a workaround for the absence of AirPlay 2 on the A6. Could it be used for multiroom streaming to the A6 and Airplay / Chromecast devices? Would there be sync / timing differences?