When fixing the memory leak ? it has been 6 months

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Albaintor, Dec 30, 2023.

1. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

It is all said in the title : last summer some of us reported a memory leak in the software.
    After a while the zidoo (Z20 Pro in my case) is unable to launch any new video (the progress bar appears and stays still). The only possible fix is to reboot the device.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm not aware of any memory leak. Do you have any third party apps installed?

3. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

4. McBluna

McBluna Well-Known Member

Does it also happen if you start a video eg from USB Stick?

5. Earthkeeper

Earthkeeper Member

My device was lagging/crashing some time ago and I had to restart it often. It turned out that my receiver was not compatible with the display settings on my Zidoo. Luckily my z2600 has separate HDMI ports for display and sound. Once I connected the device directly to my TV (ensuring that the HTMI settings were enabled on the ports), everything ran perfectly.

I turn on my device in the morning and turn it off at night and I've no problem playing videos in between.

Check your receiver specs whether it supports the display settings on your Zidoo. Or try changing the display settings to a lower value just to test it.

6. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

Thanks for the hints : I haven't tested from USB stick, but I never had issues with my former DuneHD device based on the same chip.
    It may be due to HDMI handshake issues as pointed out by earthkeeper but I don't know how : Zidoo is connected directly to a Denon AVR 4700 which supports all the display settings of the Zidoo. The receiver is connected to a projector (4K & dolby vision compatible). The thing is that this is not systematic : it can work correctly for let's say 3 days and then one day the interface laggs and videos won't play after a slow progress loading... as if it was out of memory

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

HDMI sync shouldn't cause this although I've seen a lot of people recently who don't realise HDMI has to resync and mistake it for an issue. But I don't think that's the case here.

This is another of those issues that if it was endemic to the Zidoo we'd have a lot more noise about it and although there are plenty of other issues at the moment, this is definitely one I haven't seen and as far as I can see, only you have reported.

Looking back at your first thread it's a typical forum situation where people jump in and say they have the same problem, but when you drill into it, it's an entirely different issue, people are just venting off and that muddies the water for everyone.

Similar to other issues, this seems to be either a file problem, a delivery problem or a faulty box (faulty boxes are incredibly unusual, but not unheard of). My suspicion is a delivery problem.

8. Kurt7

Kurt7 Member

If it is related to memory or not I dont know, but the issue remains where files can not play, but will play from a fresh boot
    the only way to get around the bug that I have found is to not connect a HDD and play files only via a network.
    It seems like nothing is being done about it and it has been reported several times already

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/z20-pro-unusable-after-a-while.96440/

9. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

@Markswift2003 as pointed out I am not the only one to have this problem and this is not because you don't have it that nobody does.
    Thanks @Kurt7 for the info, I also have an internal HDD besides the connection to the NAS. As a matter of fact I don't really use it except when I travel.

So Zidoo teams you have a clue to investigate this problem which IS A REAL and annoying BUG unlike mark said.

And Zidoo one more thing : you are the worst company ever in communication. It is the first and last time I buy one of your products

10. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

hi, I also had problems with firmware 1.0.65
    one of them was the player felt slow. I often had to start it up twice in a row and then it was better.
    Another thing was that the settings changed automatically after stopping a film.
    from 2160P 60hz to 1080p 24hz.
    Some films were played with a black screen, some HDR+ films were only played in HDR and so on.
    But now with installing firmware 1.0.70 (internal test version) for the z9x pro, I'm finally happy.
    I really hope zidoo doesn't take too much time to finally release the final version.
    Because there are probably many other people who felt the same way as me and who have a different model than the Z9x Pro and cannot install version 1.0.70 (internal test version).
    I hope that by installing the upcoming final firmware version, everything will turn out well for you, as it did for me

11. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

The known EDID change issue still happens in .70
    Had it 2 or 3 times since i changed to /70 so far

12. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

A good rule of thumb after applying a new firmware is to completely power down the player - either by unplugging or switch off at back - for a few minutes. This gives a clean boot up.

13. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

Definitely there is some memory leak at 1.0.65.
    I have similar problems to what OP has written.

After some time (few hours) of many (20 or more) but quite different video types playback (directly from my storage and single power on session)... Z9X Pro starts to have problems with videos that normally plays OK.
    In my case the symptoms are:
    a. Every single video playback is paused after approx 13 to 15 seconds of playback. To resume the playback I need to scroll the video few seconds back or forward (since resuming using the pilot stops to work)... After scrolling it resumes, but pauses again after the next 13 to 15 seconds. When this problem starts to occur then it is applicable to all files I have, every single one that normally plays ok.
    or
    b. I get HDMI short video signal drops (short black screens) every 10 seconds - like some short HDMI re-handshakes. But when this problem starts to occur then it is visible literally everywhere - so even at the Z9X PRO home screens, settings, file manager, HT4 and during the the videos playback.

The soft reboot of Z9X PRO instantly fixes the above problems.
    So apparently there is a memory leak, might be the general or just related to some specific video codec. Who knows...

14. Albaintor

Albaintor New Member

Well don't bother, Zidoo obviously didn't understand the interest of handling a community of users, who may (or may not) advertise their products based on their experience with the product and the company behind....
    This forum is just a chat place of (lonely) users, some more advanced but that's all

15. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

Like everywhere... So no disappointment here.
    Also in my case this memory leak is occurring after really long playback sessions... 4+ hours or even more. So I think many users will never notice the problem... Zidoo is also rebooting fast... Frankly speaking I was expecting much more problems then I currently observe with my unit.

16. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

Must be limited to your box

Mine is on 24/7 used for movie/tv 5-6 hours a day and music another 2-4 hrs playing dsd stuff

it gets reset maybe 1 or 2 times a week ONLY because MP7 is locked up ,but so far thats not something theyve been looking at

I also have zero stutters or even the occassional freeze that some have seen (unless my PC has sat a few days waiting on an update and it slowly freezes up till im forced to update it ...NOT a Zidoo issue thou)

17. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

Might be my box or setup.
    But please use the proper terminology. I have never reset mine Z9X Pro. The problems I had described above happened only 3 times and were instantly fixed after the soft reboot - not via reset. I just have in-depth details since if I have some problem I always try first to investigate the outcomes/symptoms/workarounds before I even try the simplest fix via reboot.
    So looks like I have same frequency as your unit resets/reboots. Memory leaks are known that are impacting every unit/box in random manner... Depending of what part of memory is affected at this very specific time and specific setup/use case.

P.S. 24/7 powered on? Are you using your unit as a file server?

18. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

i meant power reset

and no i just leave it on cos idle power usage is minimal
    My power resets wernt from any memory leak issues . They were all totally related to MP7 locking up while leaving a DSD album i was playing to start a new one happens only then

edit ,i just remebered when MP7 locked yesterday ,i just home screened then went and used the clean apk tool thing middle right side of screen ,which sorted the issue ,restarted MP7 worked fine a few more hours till i swapped to tv movies

For ALL normal video tv usage it has zero memory leak issues , ie i can play it 5 hrs plus a day for weeks on end (when i had minor covid) without ever having to power on off (wasnt playing music over that period so no need to power reset )

PC is on all night cos it hosts most of the tv epis ,so i can watch them in bed using my Z9X over the network

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  19. Sanctrum

Sanctrum Active Member

Ok. Check my signature.
    Mine setup is diffident and use case too. No USB audio, no ARC/eARC. Instead using HDMI audio extractor...
    Also I am not using MP7 at all but I have Tidal using HiFi Plus subscription.
    I am not power resetting (not using the hardware power switch at the back) - if I write soft reboot I mean using shutdown/reboot app in Apps.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2024
  20. cucnz

cucnz Active Member

If its crashing(needs a power reset ) so often have you proved the issues to the actual Z9X Pro ?

ie run it for a few hours or so with Zidoo Direct to TV (ie ignore audio quality while proving where the issue is) and audio out on toslink direct to the harmon
    See if issues still exist or maybe compatibility issues happening out to the Spacetronic ( which is doing same thing as audio out from zidoo via toslink with downsampling turned on in audio settings ? )