Changing Sub-Title Size in Ziddo Z9x Pro

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Shahrokh Hafizi, Dec 11, 2023.

1. Is there any way to change the subtitle size in Zidoo Z9X Pro?

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Depends if it's a text subtitle like SRT or a graphic subtitle like PGS.

SRT subs can be resized, coloured and repositioned:

upload_2023-12-11_17-55-52.png

PGS subtitle, because they are graphic pictures can only be repositioned and adjusted for brightness:

upload_2023-12-11_17-57-18.png

For reasons I've never fathomed, the renderers for external subs are different:

PGS:
    upload_2023-12-11_18-10-35.png

SRT:
    upload_2023-12-11_18-10-57.png

3. Hi Mark,
    Thanks for the reply. Problem is with PGS subs. The fonts are too large and I cannot resize them.

4. Markswift2003

That will depend on the content - as I say, PGS are just pictures overlaid on the video frame so you can't change the size.

You could use Subtitle Edit to convert to SRT.

5. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

I hate PGS subs. I always download external ones and use those.

6. Markswift2003

Depends where they come from - PGS direct from BD rips are generally absolutely fine. PGS from the dodgier corners of the internet, probably best avoided.

7. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

I am not a fan because they are usually bigger than I like and also for scope films they are usually placed in the picture rather than in the black bar below which is where I prefer them. As close to the bottom as possible. You cannot adjust that for PGS files. At least in my admittedly limited experience.

They are also usually not in a font or color I prefer. Typically gray rather than pure white. Some are even yellow which I cannot watch at all.

8. Markswift2003

I'm exactly the opposite - I have a multi aspect masking screen, so subtitles in the masked area of a scope presentation are utterly intolerable.

Not many movies do that, but for those that do, I use BDSup2Sub to move the subtitles up into the video area (Edit/Move All Captions).

But equally, you can use it to move them down into the mask area.

As you say, you can convert to SRT, but quite often I prefer the look of the PGS subtitles.

9. Unclejoshc

Unclejoshc Member

Ah well yes, in your setup than I would agree. As I have an OLED TV, subs in the bottom black is preferable as they don't interfere with the picture and you don't have to worry about any words being washed out if what is on screen happens to match the color of the sub. I use subs for every single TV show or movie I watch. I do not watch anything except live TV/Sports and concerts if they don't have any without them.

And I don't convert them. I download them from OpenSubtitle or Subscene and select the external sub file. But I understand your point. Thanks!