HT4 Slow Poster Refresh Issue

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by Markswift2003, Aug 15, 2023.

1. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I'm always amazed at numbers like that - I have what I would deem to be a large music collection (over 120,000 tracks, all lossless) but my movie collection is "only" 533 DVDs, 853 BluRays and 496 UHD BluRays, a total of 1,882 but there are probably well over 300 duplicates in there too, so say a total of about 1,500 unique movies and I don't feel I'm missing any I'd want.

And this is from collecting from when I had my first media server back in about 2005.

How you get to 16,000 movies I have no idea :eek:

thivame and Oldpainless like this.
  2. K.W.H.

K.W.H. New Member

It's a combination of OCD and digital hoarding.

3. Markswift2003

In that case I completely understand ;)

4. Arkooo

Arkooo New Member

I have the same issue.. I recently bought a Zidoo Z10 Pro in which I installed a 12TB harddrive. Very happy about the product in the beginning, love the poster wall and the ways in which you can customize it. However, now that I filled my harddrive, the posterwall is veeery slow and laggy... If i scroll down, poster just won't load, or very slowly. I also have the issue of sometimes erorring and returning to the home screen, while scrolling.. Definitly a bummer for the user experience and the way I can use the device.

I have a large library - over 5000 mediafiles -. I understand the argument of why have so many movies, but I just like to be able to choose. For me it's like my personal streaming service, my personal Netflix, in which I can choose the movie or show, according to my mood.

I really hope the devolopers will find a solution, because for me it's ruining the way I love the product.

vddan likes this.
  5. Phil181

Phil181 Active Member

If you have not already done so, install ZDMC (a Kodi fork with the current release based on Kodi v20.2). Kodi is much better for large libraries and multiple sources (NAS', external and internal HDD's etc). It still uses the Zidoo player, so the video quality does not change and the user experience has been fine with daily use :cool:

6. Arkooo

Arkooo New Member

Ok, thanx for the tip. I think I already installed it though, to play old avi files. But you lose the HT4 interface with that no? Because that is actually what I love about the product, the HT4 posterwall, with all the images from the different movies and shows and the ratings and despcriptions from IMDB and RT, and the way I am able to organize them.

7. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Can we expect an evolution about this issue in the upcoming firmware or not yet?

8. andyt1000

andyt1000 Member

Any news for a fix of this major problem.

9. Markswift2003

I've heard nothing about it for a while now I'm afraid.

andyt1000 likes this.
  10. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

I hope that they won't "forget" what they promised earlier because that remains a major issue for a lot of people.

andyt1000 likes this.
  11. K.W.H.

K.W.H. New Member

Please excuse the OT recon,

I figured that I would post these two examples of what my AMD 5700G with 128GB RAM looks like at scrolling 16,884 posters. The first one was scrolling down until the cache needed to catch up (spoiler alert, about 30 pages). The second one is scrolling down super fast to get to letter S, or about 150 pages out 0f 188. Totally worthless comparison to my Z1000 Pro but interesting to see what a lot more horsepower can do.

12. Paul Mardis

Paul Mardis Member

My suggestion is to setup a internal SSD drive as a cache drive in a PC on your network and save all your poster wall library info to that to see if it improves. This would eliminate the internal drive cache on the Zidoo. Its just a guess.

13. shiftedmirrors

shiftedmirrors New Member

I've been seeing slow poster refreshing as well on the poster wall on my UHD5000. Making the posters smaller has solved it for me. Small and Tiled modes are fine, but if I select Medium or Large and start scrolling my library, it starts to chug quite quickly - almost as though it's redownloading all the poster images from wherever it gets them from. This is with about 1000 movies in my library (condensed to roughly 700 posters because of the automatic collections). I do wonder if I'll start having issues with smaller posters as my library grows bigger.

Hopefully Zidoo can fix this, it's pretty annoying.

14. Markswift2003

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/ht4-slow-poster-refresh-issue.96356/page-2#post-197926

15. WRBreland

WRBreland Member

One feature of Zappiti Video that I like is being able to select from #’s, A, B, C....Z. Example, for tonight’s viewing the movie title starts with M so I select M and only titles that starts with M shows up. For me that is much better way of selecting than HT4.

16. trafficlightslave

trafficlightslave New Member

Thank you for finally acknowledging this problem. Along with the absolutely atrocious scraping, it’s one of the main reasons I simply cannot use HT 4.0. I have 8,000+ movies, and if you scroll for awhile and stop, I’ve had wait times of over 30-40 seconds for posters to begin loading. Totally ridiculous when there are hyper lightweight Kodi addons that do a far better job at this. With the additional RAM on the pro units, this no longer makes any reasonable sense.

andyt1000 likes this.
  17. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Just a bump to help the developpers not forget this annoying issue. :D

DennisTheMenace likes this.
  18. Markswift2003

I was promised in August last year that the R&D team would look at this.

I've sent reminders but so far absolutely no feedback at all - I'd have to conclude that it's been forgotten about.

19. DennisTheMenace

DennisTheMenace Active Member

Like Kodi, Hometheater should use fixed thumpnails for every fanart and poster. I use a hard drive case with several hard drives and can hear exactly how the hard drives are loaded while scrolling. And not from the saved thumbnails on the zidoo. This will also be the reason why you can only view your library once the drives are connected. This is different with zdmc (kodi). I can see my library even if my hard drives are not connected to the zidoo.
    Unless you fundamentally change home theater, it will never improve.

Phil181 likes this.
  20. blenky

blenky Well-Known Member

In my HT4 settings under 'Poster Folder', I have it set to Custom Folder pointing at 'storage://'. There is nothing stored on my NAS where all my media is stored so I can only assume they are somewhere on the Zidoo. However I can't anything using the inbuilt file browser (Media Center). I don't keep a big library but it's still inelegant that every time I enter HT4 and scroll you can see the posters snapping back into view.