Zappiti RIP

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619BPD)' started by ThisIsWhoWeAre, Oct 4, 2023.

1. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

I think they should not have marketed the NAS as a ripper. They should have sold it as a NAS only without the Optical drive and let people add the optical drive afterwards. Or not sell the product directly in the USA. Maybe sell it via Futeko or some other UK based retailer with cheap shipping.

2. by96

by96 Member

I am new here, having just moved to Zidoo from Zappiti. Unfortunately, this is a lot of misinformation about there about why Zappiti closed shop. I have it on good authority, from two different dealers that worked extremely close with Zappiti over the years, that it had nothing to do with copyright issues. The company has been in France's version of bankruptcy since January 2023 and apparently it was caused by internal changes to the ownership. It had nothing to do with copyright problems. Although Zappiti stopped selling their NAS in the US, it was still available in most of the world. Most other countries, where Zappiti was more popular, have much looser copyright laws. In short, they did go out of business due to copyright issues from the US or anywhere else.

The legal issues mentioned in Zappiti's letter to its dealers, as quoted in part in the post above, were related to the bankruptcy and not copyright problems.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2023
  3. DrGiggles

DrGiggles Member

There were other problems:
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...n-or-licensed-the-bluray-menu-playback.93784/

4. Temearoo

Temearoo Active Member

Don't say Zappiti anymore, say R_volution. :D

https://www.rvolution.com/

And it looks that you will be able to use their app in a next future on the Dune HD and Zidoo players, if you're ok to pay a subscription. :rolleyes:

(Start at 2min)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2023
    dr4go likes this.
  5. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's a classic restructure - get into financial trouble, liquidate the company, meanwhile set up a phoenix company, tupe the employees you want to keep, maintain relationships with suppliers/customers you want to keep and stuff the rest.

They've obviously spent a bit of time reskinning Zappiti Video - it'll be interesting to see the application layer - looking at the new box, it's the same supplier, so the OS and application layers will presumably be the same under the hood.

They're also going back to their roots by supplying applications to third parties which is how they started albeit under different management.

dr4go and xskip like this.
  6. by96

by96 Member

My uninformed opinion is that if R-volution wants to succeed, they need to quickly offer player options that are less than $900. Zidoo has stair-step options, while Zappiti's NEO started their line-up at $900. Now, the new company is only releasing one player up front, which is again, $900. There is clearly a market for players in the $1000 range (I had a NEO and now a UHD5000), but for people who have full NAS systems or other external options, they can get an excellent Zidoo for under $300. If R-volution continues to only target the higher end range, I think I will end up being even more glad I switched to Zidoo...

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

What most Zappiti users fail to realise is that their boxes are exactly the same specification as the Zidoos and Dunes of the same SOC.

Their boxes, OS and application layer come from the same contractor that Dune uses and are pretty much identical to Dune except for the faceplates, the only real difference being the applications, and being reliant on cloud services are apt to fall over. And they cost a fortune.

These new boxes use the 1619DR so they're not even the current chipset over which Zidoo have exclusivity at the moment.

And I know Zidoo are being uncharacteristically slow at rolling out firmware at the moment due to the success of Eversolo, but at least they're using the latest SOC.

But I for one am very happy Zappiti have risen from the ashes because one thing we didn't need to happen was to lose competition - that's what makes any market thrive.

Oldpainless, WRBreland, by96 and 3 others like this.