new Z9x won't work on older AVR (Onkyo) ?

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by John McAlister, Sep 22, 2023.

1. John McAlister

John McAlister New Member

I've got an Onkyo TX-SR606 (older model) and the Z9x would start up (Zidoo sign and a quick flash of the background) and then the TV would go blank. The TV would report signal is lost. I've tried every other HDMI inputs in the Onkyo ....none worked.

I've tried 3 other HDMI cable that i have - again nothing comes through the Onkyo. This is baffling as I was able to use an Aliexpress $50 media player through the Onkyo but the Zidoo did not work with my Onkyo.

The Z9X works when i plug it into the TV.

Please help....what's wrong here.

The TX-SR606 is using HDMI version 1.3a

Last edited: Sep 23, 2023
  2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Hmm - it should work and I'm not sure why it doesn't. HDMI 1.3 is restricted to the same 297MHz as HDMI1.4 but only up to 1080p60 rather than 4K so the EDID in the Onkyo should tell the Zidoo that.

I assume the Zidoo is booting into 4K for some reason.

Try this:

1. Switch everything off (just to level the playing field)

2. Turn on the TV and the amp

3. Once both are booted up, turn on the Zidoo and wait until you see the time in the front display which means it's fully booted

4. Press the "Resolution" button on the remote until you get a picture. Each press will output a new resolution so we're trying to get to one that the amp likes - allow a few seconds between presses to allow the TV HDMI to synchronise. You might need to press it 4 or 5 times depending what mode it's started in.

Once you have a picture, download the EDID and post it here and I'll try to figure out what it's doing.

Also go to Settings/Display/Resolution and can you tell me what the maximum value is?

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

Oldpainless likes this.
  3. JohnG

JohnG Member

Ditto on everything MarkSwift wrote. Check to see if your Onkyo has a video 'bypass' mode. If it does, 'enable' it and see if the signal from the Z9x will pass through to your monitor. It sounds like a mismatch between the resolution which the Zidoo is outputing, and the resolution that the Onkyo wants to see.

4. John McAlister

Which button on the remote is the resolution?

Going into the Onkyo Hdmi settings - it was set to 'Through"....I"ve now set it to "Auto". There's also this thing X.V. Color - what is that - does it factor in on the Zidoo 9X compatibility.

5. JohnG

JohnG Member

See attached photo. However, since you had the Onkyo set to "Through" you should see an image on your Monitor....assuming that the Zidoo's resolution matches the capability of your monitor. As MarkSwift wrote, you've got to wait a few seconds after changing the Zidoo's output resolution before you'll see an image on your screen. A lot depends on making a proper handshake between the different components. IF you run an HDMI cable from the Zidoo to your Monitor and still have no picture, follow the procedure Mark has outlined, and report back. Good Luck!,

Attached Files:

6. John McAlister

ah...yes - it kicked in - it's working now - looks like it'll be only 1080p 60hzr. And i went into the setting to lock this resolution in so restarting it's in this mode. It's working !!!! Without locking in 1080 the unit will be stuck again.

Thank-you very much. Do we still need this EDID thing ??

7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Yes, as I say, that's as far as HDMI 1.3 goes, but I'm curious why the Onkyo EDID didn't restrict the Zidoo to 1080p60.