Does anyone else feel conned by Zidoo

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by JohnnyH, Sep 7, 2023.

1. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

Last Christmas I spent a whole load of $$$ on a zidoo UHD3000

never once been happy with it, buggy very slow performance , strange software bugs etc

been waiting nearly a year for multiple firmware updates to make the machine better, but nothing from zidoo

never realised that they were working on the UHD5000

They have said stuff all the customers that purchased the uhd3000 !!

they have just left those customers out to dry, I’m now thinking I will never purchase anything else from zidoo, as it’s a total disgrace the way they treat premium paying customers

may consider dune or zapity in the future as I can not invest in a company that cons their customers with substandard products and never addresses the mile of issues with these products

Now the uhd3000 is discontinued I feel very angry and let down by zidoo, will never spend big bucks again with this company

they seriously need to think long and hard with their actions and how they treat their customers, they should be ashamed at the substandard products they sell

Last edited: Sep 7, 2023
  2. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Bro, I have no idea what you're going on about. I have a Zidoo Z9X which was around $200USD, and it works absolutely fine. Basically my only complaint is that it can't do FEL and TV-LED DV properly. Other than that, it's basically perfect. And DV still looks great despite those drawbacks.

3. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

I have a UHD3000 and am very happy with it. It’s fast and responsive, looks good.

Mark Boddy and Jimbo Randy like this.
  4. tc2007

tc2007 Active Member

I have a Zidoo UHD3000 which I bought mainly for using its wonderful DAC. I use my smartphone to streaming Qobuz via BubbleUPnP to the device and it works nice. I can also use a PC with USB audio out but I haven't tried that yet. The ESS DAC has a linear power supply which helps produce excellent HiFi audio output. This alone is worth the money. On top of that, I store all my CD rips locally on the HDD. So that's a nice bonus for music.

The 2nd reason I bought the UHD3000 was to watch my 4K collection. So far I have about 190 or so movies ripped into a 14TB HDD which resides in the UHD3000. Everything works fine in the HT4 app. KODI works too but I prefer the HT4 app as KODI requires more CPU etc. resources.

I cannot find another device in this price range ($750 used) that I paid that will do all of this.

Sure it's buggy in some places but it's not a deal breaker. At the same time, I hope Zidoo keeps fixing and supporting the older lineup even when the new lineup is released or at least make the software opensource.

5. JohnnyH

JohnnyH New Member

I too purchased the UHD 3000 last Christmas hoping i was investing in a premium media player I did a great deal of research and had extremally high hopes.

Like many other products was hoping for a year of firmware updates to improve the endless list of bugs and slow performance, but guess what some nine months later NOTHING,
    if you care to go to zidoo website for firmware downloads UHD3000 the latest firmware states v6.4.42 11/2022

Disgraceful .... with a huge list of issues and bugs with this machine and zero effort in rectifying them, words fail me !

Its very clear Zidoo are more interested in releasing new hardware rather than fixing existing hardware and keeping loyal customers happy!

Very very disappointed with Zidoo business ethics and the way they think its ok to leave premium hardware they sell faulty and buggy, with zero effort to rectify, so their customers can have a stable machine that can be respected

The old way was to master your product before releasing new ones

Just the way I see it,

Regards

6. Netmask

Netmask Well-Known Member

Beta version v6.4.62 for Z9X/Z10 Pro/Z1000 Pro/UHD3000 release. As a download to USB

Jimbo Randy and Markswift2003 like this.
  7. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

I use a Z9X (not a Z9X Pro) in my cinema and have done since pretty much the day I received it.

It's been rock solid, never ever misses a beat. If it didn't, it wouldn't be in my rack.

I want a box that will flawlessly play 4K MKVs at whatever bitrate I throw at it, with whatever audio codec I throw at it and whatever flavour of dynamic range I throw at it.

I don't ever want to see a frame skip or a frame repeat (if that happens, as it has with many other boxes, it gets consigned to the Also Rans) and I certainly don't want any stalling, stuttering or skipping. And I want a nice interface that looks good on a 9ft screen.

I'm aware of its capabilities, I use it as such, and I'm pragmatic.

So no, I don't feel in the slightest bit conned.

8. Six66Mike

Six66Mike Member

As a 10+ year user of Zappiti products (before they even made hardware), that would be a terrible decision. They did exactly the same thing (stop supporting older models) when they released the current range of hardware (1-2 years after Zidoo and Dune had already released their hardware on the same chipset, except Zappiti dropped it for a premium price). The software has been getting consistently worse, there haven't been updates this year yet at all I don't think, the developer team is currently non-existent due to insolvency issues currently facing the courts, and their customer service has been tragic for years. They remove useful features with no consultation then expect you go to make a suggestion to revive that feature on a suggestion board filled with spam which nobody actually looks at.

So if you want an overpriced last generation product with no active development, little support, and a consistent decline in quality.... sure, get a Zappiti. You'll regret it though.

9. DELUCAS

DELUCAS Well-Known Member

So you Dont Expect a Company like apple to make another Iphone after the 6s , 7 , 10 ( X ) 12 , 13 or 15 and discontinue making them ……..

So you was Shocked Apple came out with another iphone after you purchased the 11 model or a Samsung Phone
    Or the LG OLED G2 Model was discontinued and low & behold to your surprise LG announce a LG OLED G3
    The following year . !!

REALLY ?

So Zidoo must never make another Model after yours ?

Tony Torres and xskip like this.
  10. Nicholas Hewitt

Nicholas Hewitt Active Member

Not when there is nothing new to the boxes at all....... dude can you imagine Apple releasing a new phone that was worse in many aspects than its previous model and nothing new at all hardware-wise except 1g of extra ram for f sakes and expecting people to pay even more for the model that has absolutely nothing new harware wise whatsoever except it has a worse power supply than the already bad power supply on the previous model. They were greedy and couldn't wait for the new chips to come out, instead, they rushed to get their new pathetic box on the market so they could release the proper one with the new chipset and charge people again in another 6 months. Also, Apple supports at least 4 years of updates to its older phones and does not force people to be their bug testers, advertising features that were not even implemented till 6 months after the release.

11. Six66Mike

Six66Mike Member

The Apple example is silly because even a passive observer could see a 6s is still a hardware supported model in the US and still receives bug and security updates. iPhones generally have a 6 year or more period from release before support is pulled, and in some cases it's longer. And this is with an annual release cycle of new hardware.

UHD3000 came out January '22? So using the Apple 6s example, Zidoo users should expect no less than 7 years hardware support and around 9 years of ongoing software support (FW releases) from the initial product release date. Or a minimum 5 years support from the time the model is superseded/discontinued.

12. Jimbo Randy

Jimbo Randy Active Member

Just curious - is it recommended to install the 6.4.62 firmware for the Zidoo Z9x? On my zidoo, I checked the box for "receive beta updates" but it looks like it's still on 6.4.42. Do you know why this is? Why wont' it install 6.4.62? What exactly does this new beta firmware do?

Thanks!

13. Deano86

Deano86 Active Member

Some beta updates are indeed released for direct online update with a notification on your Zidoo... some smaller betas are not.. Those beta firmwares are available here on the threads that are started for them.. which of course also contain the change logs which list what has changed since last versions.
    http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...-z9x-z10-pro-z1000-pro-uhd3000-release.95542/