Help with Epson LS11000 and HDR on Z9X

Discussion in 'HDD Media player(RTD 1619DR)' started by Cinema North, Aug 25, 2023.

1. Cinema North

Cinema North New Member

Hi All,

I'm sorry to post a new thread but I can't find an answer to my issue in any of the related threads despite searching for a few days.

I have a Zidoo Z9X connected to a Denon X3800H (supports HDR10, HDR10+ and DV pass thru) and on into my Epson LS11000 projector (supports HDR10, HDR10+ but not DV).

When I play an HDR film through the Zidoo the PJ reports no signal.
    I have tried every setting in the Display -> HDR list on the Zidoo but only Highest SDR Rec. 709 outputs to the screen, and the PJ reports SDR.

I have tried connecting the Zidoo to the PJ directly, I have tried other HDMI cables (these cables are known good as they output HDR10 and HDR10+ through my Panasonic BR Player/Denon to the PJ) so I don't think this is a cable issue or an issue with the Denon. The Denon outputs HDR10 and HDR10+ which is reported on the OSD of the PJ when the disc is in the player.

Wondering if anyone can help me out with this.

Thanks in advance!

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Really weird one...

Can you post your settings:

Playback/Automatic frame rate/Frame rate mode:

Display/HDR:
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz:
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz:
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K:
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Range:
    Display/Resolution:

And your EDID:

To Download EDID
    ================

Settings/Display/Custom EDID/Save EDID

Save to a USB stick or network location.

Change the file extension from .bin to .txt to upload to the forum

(The forum won't accept .bin files)

Cinema North likes this.
  3. Cinema North

Cinema North New Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help!

I looked up the settings and here they are:
    Playback/Automatic frame rate: Off
    Playback/Frame rate mode: No Pause
    Display/HDR: The only setting that works for an HDR film is Highest SDR Rec 709. I can use Auto and it will display the Andriod OS and also play 1080p movies in my collection but all my 4ks are some form of HDR/DV and when I try to play one of those titles it plays sound but no picture unless it's in Highest Rec SDR 709.
    Display/Color Settings/4K 50~60Hz: Priority YUV420 8 Bit
    Display/Color Settings/4K 23~30Hz: Priority YUV444 8 Bit
    Display/Color Settings/Non-4K: Priority YUV444 8 Bit
    Display/Color Settings/HDMI Color Range: Auto
    Display/Resolution: Auto (3840x2160P 60 HZ)

When looking up the settings nothing jumped out at me, but I'm not an expert. Hope it's an easy fix.

Attached Files:

• edid.txt
      File size:
      256 bytes
      Views:
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

So the first thing to note is that your settings are all up the wall. I take it you haven't seen the recommended settings sticky?

You should always always at least match framerate and depending on which device you want to upscale, also consider matching resolution.

So the first thing to do is get the settings correct as per the top section of this thread:

http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?thr...er-useful-stuff-for-rtd-1619dr-players.82695/

Having said that, your EDID is HDMI 2 and doesn't have anything odd in it I can see and if I duplicate your settings and use you EDID (which makes my box behave exactly the same as yours) then 4K HDR/DV files play with no issue.

For some reason, despite the EDID saying otherwise, it seems your HDMI chain is restricted to HDMI 1.4 levels. Don't know if this is in the cable itself or a setting in the projector - most likely the projector.

There used to be an issue with older Epsons (LS10000 for example) where an HDMI 1.4 chipset was used, but not the 11000 as far as I know and as I say, the EDID is HDMI 2 so make of that what you will...

Using your settings and EDID with HDR set to "Highest SDR Rec.709", because the output is always 4K60 8b 4:2:0, the frequency and bandwidth used is always 297MHz, 8.9GB/s for all content - 2K SDR and 4K HDR/DV.

297MHz, 8.9GB/s is the limit for HDMI 1.4.

If I set HDR to Auto, then 2K SDR is the same, but for 4K HDR/DV, bandwidth increases to 371MHz, 11.1GB/s because the signal is now 10-bit 4:2:0.

This is above the threshold for HDMI 1.4 but well below the maximum for HDMI 2 which is why I don't think it's the cable.

So the first thing to do is to get the settings correct as per the above link and see if that changes anything. At the same time, look at the Epson's settings.

Cinema North likes this.
  5. Cinema North

Cinema North New Member

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help on this. I've gotten some more time to play with this over the weekend and I'm now sure it's a cable issue.

When I tried to setting color settings to 10 Bit previously I got "no signal" on the PJ. I assumed this was something to do with the Zidoo, but after some experimentation, it is apparent the problem lies with the cable between the PJ and the Denon. I have no idea why the BR player works fine with the cable.

I took the PJ out of the hush box and setup the Zidoo right next to the PJ on a cardboard box. With settings per your recommendations everything works great. PJ reports HDR10/HDR10+ for movies that support those formats.

I've ordered a 25' Ruipro fibre optic cable and will see if that fixes the issues, if not I guess I'll have to go to an active fibre optic cable.

Again, thank you very much for your help!

Markswift2003 likes this.
  6. rola

rola Member

I use a HDBaseT extender with a cat7 ethernet cable. The one I have can be used up to 40m for 4K HDR.

7. Cinema North

Cinema North New Member

The Ruipro cable arrived yesterday and I had time last night to pull the cable through the conduit and hook up the projector. Setup the Zidoo per the settings thread and tested it out with a few 4K films. The picture clarity and color are amazing, I compared the disc via the Panasonic BD Player with the Zidoo and as near as I can tell it's the exact same.

One new issue that cropped up is that when I enter/exit a 4k HDR film from/to the HT app I get a black screen for a few seconds. At one point I got a weird color shift, which remained until I selected another movie. I'm thinking I'll try a few different color settings and see if I can find something that settles this down.

Markswift2003 likes this.