MQA

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by dieholzblaeser, Jun 30, 2023.

1. dieholzblaeser

dieholzblaeser New Member

Dear Members,

I have the DMP-A6 Master Edition ;-)) My problem is, if I play my MQA files from the NAS
    via HDMI to my Denon AVR, the Display shows me only PCM 44.1. No MQA green little light.
    My firmware is 1.1.70. If I use Roon it shows in the roon software right things, but the Display
    also shows PCM 44.1!!! What is my mistake or what I'm doing wrong??

PS: the Music Player show the detected files as mqa and when I play them PCM 44.1 in the Display??

Best wishes
    Willy

2. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

Check if your AVR supports both decoding and rendering. Then, under HDMI settings choose proper option and RESTART A6.
    I had the same issue with my DAC. Solution is simple, but Eversolo should put notice on settings that restart.

3. dieholzblaeser

Thank you Kopczas,

but this shouldn't be a problem of the AVR!! In the beginning it worked. no MCH DSD was working via Roon (old firmware 1.1.40)
    I did the update to the latest firmware and I think the MQA problem has only been there since then. But I don't know if it's because
    of that or because of the settings. Does anyone have the latest firmware and MQA works via HDMI??

4. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

I was referring to EverSolo settings.

5. NMWDF

NMWDF Member

Most CDs are recorded at a sampling rate of 44.1 or 48Khz, and the A6 display always shows this original sampling rate. If I understand you correctly, when using Tidal MQA set the A6's 'Fixed sampling rate output' to 96Khz and then both rates will be displayed. An occasional MQA 192Khz rate will be down sampled to 96Khz. I can hear a distinct difference between 44.1Khz and Tidal's 96Khz. I cannot hear a difference between 96Khz and 192Khz.

Except for NAD, I am unaware of an AVR that decodes MQA. The A6's internal DAC and many external DACs fully decode MQA. The resulting analog signal should go to one of your your Denon's two-channel RCA inputs. If you select 2 channel speaker output and Pure Direct music mode, the MQA pathway will bypass the Denon's internal DAC and any fatal processing. I have not found using the Denon's HDMI input to be friendly to Hi Res music.

I hope this helps.

Nutul likes this.
  6. dieholzblaeser

Thanks, but that's not the solution!! I don't hear from Tidal etc. but FLAC files in MQA on my NAS. Even the filemanager from the DMP shows it as MQA. The Roon software also shows MQA Sudio 88.2 but the DMP only outputs PCM 44.1 via HDMI. HiRes Audio is no problem for the big Denon's, together with my Oppo 203 everything works perfectly!! only with DSD MCH and Roon the Oppo only outputs stereo. If the Oppo works alone, it outputs great Native DSD MCH via HDMI just not with Roon!! For whatever reason?? Roon says Oppo is to blame and Oppo says Roon is to blame, eagl. Native DSD MCH via Eversolo DMP-A6 sounds great and works very well!! Only the MQA story is weird. Well maybe with the next firmware update.......... Best regards willy

7. Kopczas

Kopczas Member

does your AVR decodes and renders or only renders MQA?

Edit.
    I guess it does, so thing I can think of:
    you need to set digital output to max to transfer flac with MQA to decoder. Otherwise it`s not bit perfect, so decoder won`t recognize MQA tag.

Nutul likes this.
  8. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

Exactly.

9. dieholzblaeser

Wow, I thought the Eversolo would decode it and output it to my AVR via HDMI. The AVR cannot decode MQA at all!!
    Roon + Nucleus also decoded it and then as 88.2 or similar. output via HDMI to my AVR??
    Am I thinking wrong or is that just the way it is???

10. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

This is it, you got it.
    You EITHER decode MQA, or play the resulting reconstructed PCM out of it, as it has been decoded by something else: yout AVR plays the stream (a PCM stream at whatever sampling rate it was) given to it by the A6.
    With the tiny difference that MQA can detect if "a bit isn't as it should", and hence cannot tell you (green / yellow / purple dot... remember it?) that what it is playing is actually MQA as intended.

11. Nice Monkey

Nice Monkey Well-Known Member Beta test group

Just tried it. MQA output works fine with DAC output but not when set to HDMI output.

See list of restrictions as included in my review:
    - MQA processing is done by the XMOS chip which feeds the internal DAC. As a consequence MQA processing is not available via HDMI, SPDIF nor USB unless handled by the external device itself. This MQA capability needs then to be configured correctly in setup.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2023
  12. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

I understand it as: you can route A6's audio stream to an external DAC, BUT if such stream is MQA, such DAC should be capable of decoding MQA itself.
    Which makes perfect sense to me.
    Also. I believe this is a restriction that MQA puts on the devices capable of decoding it. The MQA stream, then, if not decoded can be normally played as if it was an ordinary PCM @ 16/44.1 (allowing it, OTOH, would allow any owner of an A6 to stream a decoded MQA and copy it bit-perfect; which I am not so sure it is intended... :-D

13. Spizz

Spizz Member

14. Nutul

Nutul Well-Known Member

15. dieholzblaeser

Thank you all for your answers,
    I think MQA is nearly a dying codec.

Thanks,
    I love my DMP-A6 via HDMI
    Willy

Nice Monkey, Nutul and wcseow like this.