Question about DMP-A6

Discussion in 'Eversolo DMP-A6' started by HifiPenguin, Jun 10, 2023.

1. HifiPenguin

HifiPenguin New Member

Hi to all owners of DMP-A6 media player.

I am super interested in this device.
    It offers more or less everything I wold like to see in a device... except one thing :-(
    It does not have a built-in headphone amplifier.

But, from tech specs, it looks like the FRCA output is 2.6V Rms and the XLR output is 5.6V Rms.
    ASR even measured that output to more than 6V Rms (I assume).

So my question is simple : would it be possible to hook up headphone to those outputs and play from them (of course with and RCA/XLR to Jack or XLR adapter...
    I already did so, but some devices were not powerful enough to drive some headphone with poor sensitivity like the Dan Clark Aeon Flow Closed (I think they're rated at 74dB/V).
    The AUNE S6 that I own which is rated at 2.1V Rms/4.2V Rms on XLR is capable to drive them though...

So I was wondering if it would be possible with the EverSolo DMP-A6...

I know I can get the Zidoo Neo products, but hey... They're 50% more expensive ! And what I love is the price of the DMP-A6 :)

I am hesitating between that one and the Fiio R7 : the R7 has HP amplifier... But no internal storage. And is not as feature packed as the DMP-A6...

So any report would be appreciated.

Regards.

2. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

Definitely not - the impedance is drastically mismatched, depending on headphone specs, probably factored in the 10s so it'd really stress the output stage not to mention what it'd do to the audio.

Just get a headphone amp.

3. HifiPenguin

HifiPenguin New Member

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.
    If that is not possible then the dmp-a6 isn't for me.
    I am looking for an all-in-one product.

What should I be looking for to know if I can use RCA/XLR output with a headphone ?
    I did that on several devices without a problem.
    With power hungry HP like Dan Clark AEON Flow and withj easy to drive phones like OPPO PM-1 or Sony MDR-Z7.

I already have :
    - a streamer (2 of them)
    - a dedicated DAC ( 3 of them)
    - a dedicated headphone amp ( 3 of them)

All functional and with pretty good results.
    But the scope is to have an all-in-one product that does it all with as little compromise as possible and for a price I can afford.

So far, I was interested in device like NuPrime Omnia A300 which also include a real power amplifier and that can be found for about the same price as the DMP-A6 (used of course) but that do not have a touch display :-(

Or in the Fiio R7 that has headphone amp but that has no internal storage :-(

Looks like the only option so far is a Zidoo Neo or something from Cocktail Audio... But with really old specs :-(

Last edited: Jun 10, 2023
  4. Markswift2003

Markswift2003 Well-Known Member SUPER Administrator Beta test group Contributor

It's not so much it's not possible - it will work - but the level, frequency response and noise will depend on the impedance mismatch. What I'm saying is it shouldn't be done.

Usually line level outputs are in the order of 100's of ohms and are meant to drive a much higher impedance Line input in the order of 1000's ohms. This means that very little current is drawn and unwanted effects by the load to the input are dramatically minimised.

Headphones tend to be in the order of 10's of ohms so making the connection more susceptible to noise and certainly changing the frequency response if connected to such an input - they are designed to be used with an amplifier rather than a voltage bridge.

I'm probably being overly cautious about stressing the output stage, but you're still pulling way more current than it's designed for.

I just wouldn't do it with any equipment.